Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2012 7:35:21 PM EDT
I've got two: Colibri & Lotus.  They are full, but they won't stay lit.  I tinker with the flame height and sometimes it works, but I shouldn't have to go throught all of that bs with a $30 lighter.  

How do I fix?

Link Posted: 3/6/2012 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Using quality triple filtered fuel?  Are the lighters warm or cold?

If I use grocery store fuel it will clog up my good torches and if I leave one out in the cold it will have trouble lighting until I warm it up for a while.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I had to throw my Colibri's away due to same problem. I bled then, cleaned them and ran good fuel. They are junk. I can't speak for the Lotus. Try compressed air at the torch to blow the carbon out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Vector is the best butane IMO

http://www.vectorkgm.com/catalog/template.cfm?template=stove/gas.cfm

All torch lighters take a dump eventually despite brand name...Xikar, Colibri, Lotus, Porsche

The best one I ever bought was a cheap chinese made POS that has lasted me 4yrs of heavy use.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All torch lighters take a dump eventually despite brand name...Xikar, Colibri, Lotus, Porsche

The best one I ever bought was a cheap chinese made POS that has lasted me 4yrs of heavy use.

I buy the Blazer jobs that fit into a Zippo case.  They usually last about three or four years which isn't bad for a $10. torch.

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy the Blazer jobs that fit into a Zippo case.  They usually last about three or four years which isn't bad for a $10. torch.

No, not at all

That's what I paid for this cheapo job I have and it's still going strong
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Using a Vector triple flame right now while the xicar pipeline & trezo are being replaced.

I like them but it is an annual event for the treezo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm using Xikar premium butane.  The Lotus is running again.  I'll look into that $10 one you mention when the Lotus goes tits up.

It's a shame for the price of these things they don't work better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#8]
It's hit or miss with these things. I have 2 Colibri's and they work great and one of those I've had for 4 years, no problems. I've had 3 Xikar, 2 of which crapped out on me. Just won a new Xikar Versa, we'll see how that one goes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's hit or miss with these things. I have 2 Colibri's and they work great and one of those I've had for 4 years, no problems. I've had 3 Xikar, 2 of which crapped out on me. Just won a new Xikar Versa, we'll see how that one goes.

And I use Colibri butane in my Colibri lighters & Xikar butane in my Xikar lighters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Learned this the hard way.  Lots of money spent on Colibri (old and new), Xikar, and others.

You can use high dollar butane or the cheap shit.  End result is always the same.

Too bad too, there's nothing better for lighting a stogey on a golf course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I hope you have better luck than I did...I just went through 2 Versas

1st one lit 2 cigars then took a shit

Before I could send it back, I received a replacement.....that one lit 1 cigar and I couldn't get it to light again.

Both were returned using the same return tag.

I asked for a refund.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I snagged a couple of the zicar stratos lighters off c-bid for the vehicles. nothing fancy but they do seem to work better than some of thier nicer offerings.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I stopped using xikar and colibri because they never worked. Same goes for the rocky and Prometheus torches I have.
I use these triple flame torches that I got free with box purchases, the finish wears from being in my pocket, and the action/switch gets a little loose but still works. Going on 3 years with this one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you have better luck than I did...I just went through 2 Versas

1st one lit 2 cigars then took a shit

Before I could send it back, I received a replacement.....that one lit 1 cigar and I couldn't get it to light again.

Both were returned using the same return tag.

I asked for a refund.

So far, so good on the Versa. 2 sticks in & no problems. I'm not going to hold my breath though.
My Colibri's have proven to be the lighter of choice though. They don't make them like they used to!
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't had any issues with my torch lighters yet. I use the Xikar fuel and they all light every time. I have a Xikar Executive, Black Op's Kilo and some cheapo freebee triple. Just got my Trezo today and it has lit no issues every time I have tried it. I have heard good things about the Dupont mini and maxi jets working forever. Anybody have experience with them? They do run like $120+. I'm thinking of picking one up. Talk me out of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got two: Colibri & Lotus.  They are full, but they won't stay lit.  I tinker with the flame height and sometimes it works, but I shouldn't have to go throught all of that bs with a $30 lighter.  

How do I fix?

Whenever possible I use stick matches to light (toast) my cigars. BUt I do use a jet from time to time.

*Make sure you bleed off the air
*Use a can of compressed air to clean out the  bezel and area ash and debris can clog the jet. I also dip a cotton tip into some Everclear and clean the jet.
*Premium Fuel Colibre, Vector,Prometheus minimum triple filtered
*Go to Walgreens in the tobacco section and buy a crook neck jet lighter for under 10.00 and enjoy your Cigars.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top