Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2012 12:25:35 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Benelli m2 American with a 26" barrel. I would rather have had a 24" barrel, but you can't buy it if you can't find it.

This shotgun has to serve for 3-gun and for turkey hunting and for home defense, because I simply dont have the funds for a dedicated shotgun for each. At some point, I'd love to trade my 26" barrel for a 24" barrel, but I havn't found any one willing to trade yet... (wink wink... Email me or IM if you are interested) Also, I'd like to stay in the Tactical class and stay out of the Open class, so I wont ever be loading it with more than 8+1 for 3-gun matches.

According to the chart found HERE: I understand that I could purchase the Nordic +6 extension, giving myself a total of 10+1, and the extension would still be 2 inches or so shorter than the end of the current 26" barrel. If I found someone to swap with me and I got a 24" barrel, it would be real close to even with the barrel.

So my question is: should I go ahead and get the +6 just because I can? OR should I get the +4, which would give me maximum capacity for the tactical class (8+1), and not add any extra weight or length? I know that you cant have too much capacity for home defense, providing it doesn't add any reliability issues, and it's illegal to hunt with a greater capacity than 2+1 where I live, but would there be any purpose for 3-gun to have the added/un-needed capacity and weight?

Also, on my previous shotgun (Rem 870), even though I had a +3 extension, when loading 00 buckshot, I could only get +2. So would this be reason to go ahead and at least get a +5 extension for the m2......?

Thanks for your help... I've been struggling with this decision.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the +6.....or even a +7.....Jesse would approve

On second thought.....get the +7....and maybe think about a +8........Jesse will REALLY approve.

My thought is......most IMGA limit capacity at the start. After that, you are loading on the clock anyways....a 26inch barrel is actually agood choice and there really hasnt been a match I;ve been to where the longer barrel has been a hinderance (blueriidge a few years back maybe). And a 26 supports the +7 great......and the 8 dont look too bad and is still quite functional in 3 gun
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the +7 as well.  Mine is maybe a 1/2" past the end of my 26" barrel.  It's about even with the extended choke.

Don't forget that you can order just the end cap from Nordic in different lengths, if you want to add an extra round later.

Side benefits:
10 rnd mag allows for you to add a couple extra rounds at the buzzer.
It is easier to load to 8 rnds because you're not stuffing in the last couple rounds against the compressed spring.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
^^^^ What Tim and Steve said ^^^^

+7 tube with a 26" M2 here as well........Great set-up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice guys. I've got the +7 on order. And a Nordic barrel clamp. Do you recommend the Nordic Big bolt handle? What about the Nordic oversized bolt release button?
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've just been running the factory bolt handle and havn't had a reason to change it yet. Another good option for the bolt release is the one from Daves Metal Works. Simple, affordable, effective and no need to drill and tap the factory bolt release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top