Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2013 5:13:05 PM EDT
Other then shooting doves, a few turkey and squirrels with a shot gun, I know nothing about shot shell loads.

Im hoping to shoot at the New Atlanta 3gun club in January but Im a little worried about shotgun ammo.  The 3 local matches I have shot in, I used some older 8 shot PMC/Clevers or something? branded target ammo that was high brass that has worked fine so far in my Rem1100.  But at the last match I had to use some federal dove loads and had two or three FTF's.

A new Beretta 1301 in in the works but it will take a few months so for now Im stuck with my rebuilt Rem 1100 tact4 style shotgun (with no chokes also)

I'm going to have my local gun shop (The Ponderosa Trading Co.) order me a case of shot shells but I need to know what is the minimum loads to get reliable cycling.  

1 1/8oz and 3drams with 7 1/2 shot?   Or is there anything better?    And also, what should I do about slugs/size etc?  Im not really a shotgunner and dont know much about slugs either.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot is a good starting point. Really it's as simple a buying what is available to you and testing it out.  My gun eats Walmart Federal bulk, but if I were headed to a major, I would get higher quality. And test it first, of course. I haven't used slugs in a match, so I cannot offer anything there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I guess Ill see what the gun shop has in stock and what Wallyworld has.  The have the shop order me a case of what ever works best.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Dicks sometimes has the Remington Gun Club in 7 1/2 shot on sale.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Jesse,   Do you try and stay with 71/2 ?   Most of the 1200-1300fps stuff I'm seeing locally is 8 shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top