Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2012 9:54:58 PM EDT
Due to my curent location I am unable to look up the rules on what types of pistols and what are considered modifications. I am going to purchase a S&W M&P VTAC .40 cal when I return to the states. The pistol does NOT come with a thumb saftey. Is this a problem for compitition? If so does anyone know where I would be able to get a thumb saftey for it? Could this pistol be considered a good competition gun?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
No need for a 'thumb safety' unless you want a chance of a DQ. If you have a 'thumb safety' it needs to be on when abandoning a firearm. I've seen some very good shooters get DQed because the 'thumb safety' did not get applied fully or get knocked off. This is one reason you see so many Glocks, XD's and M&Ps in 3 gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok thank you for the info. Probabley wont get a thumb saftey now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
To elaborate further, glocks, M&p's, and XDs have internal "passive" safeties that are considered to be engages at all times until the trigger is pulled. Hence they don't need a manual safety to be activated when abandoning.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No need for a 'thumb safety' unless you want a chance of a DQ. If you have a 'thumb safety' it needs to be on when abandoning a firearm. I've seen some very good shooters get DQed because the 'thumb safety' did not get applied fully or get knocked off. This is one reason you see so many Glocks, XD's and M&Ps in 3 gun.

Another option is to clear the weapon of the mag and the chamber before you move on. IF I have a few steps before the bucket this is fast enough. If not I just use the safety.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another option is to clear the weapon of the mag and the chamber before you move on. IF I have a few steps before the bucket this is fast enough. If not I just use the safety.
Pat

It takes no longer to do this than the time it takes to drop a magazine.

-Cameron
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat

It takes no longer to do this than the time it takes to drop a magazine.

-Cameron

If you drop the magazine you still need to rack the slide to clear the chamber unless you apply the safety or if you have a pistol without a safety that you just place in the bucket. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant. The real reason I believe there are so many Glocks and M&P's is cost. You can buy 4 glocks for what I have into my Dawson Precision Edge limited gun. 2 glocks for what I have into my Caspian 38 super comp open gun. But the 1911 pattern guns are easier to shoot well so I use them for the games.
Pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top