Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 10:40:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:44:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2017 8:45:03 PM EST by KerryW]
sounds like you are looking at production division. if so the SP-01 would be a great gun and take him far. 

this is a great set up for production:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:54:27 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KerryW:
sounds like you are looking at production division. if so the SP-01 would be a great gun and take him far. 

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/
View Quote
Exactly this.

Regular SP-01 is just fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:16:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:26:29 PM EST
Start shopping for a used Dillon XL650 if you don't already have one. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:59:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Start shopping for a used Dillon XL650 if you don't already have one. 
View Quote
Might as well buy new for as much as used ones go for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:26:56 PM EST
you can sometimes find a shadow rig all ready to go with mags , belt holster etc. might be some getting out of it or moving into another division. a little patience might pay off. check the local shooter and see if they might sell something.

if not , i would get a shadow , 6 mags , a blade tech DOH and double alpha racer pouches. DA or cR speed belt. then its off to the races. We have a local kid that plays baseball ,4.0 student and still puts the GMs on notice sometimes. one thing about all this stuff is that it retains value well. you won't lose much if he decides to go to another sport
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:27:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:38:24 PM EST
I was a younger competitive shooter (started in my 20s, but that's still younger) and saw a lot of transition in that time. I thought IDPA was amazing until I shot a USPSA match. then all my gear was crap. and production was super fun until I shot limited, then I got over the bullet hose stage and started getting serious about 1911s. Then I shot 3 gun, and a single stack 45 was crap for that, so got back into limited style guns....

all of this transition was over 3 years, and a lot of the gear didn't work for one division so I had to sell or trade stuff to get what I needed.

all this to say, my advice is don't spend a ton of money on gear. go to the Brian Enos forum, find a bunch of matches near you. Go early and help set up, stay late and help tear down, and ask people if your kiddo can check out or shoot their gun, see if he likes it. I bet most will. That way you can at least narrow down a style that he likes and you can go from there. Hell he may love a platform you despise, but if it fits him and he shoots it well, it will be better in the long run.

the other option in the mean time is to set up something easy that works for a lot of games. a 5" 40S&W Glock/M&P can be run stock for IDPA or Production, add extended mags for limited, add a 9mm barrel and extended mags for 3 gun or steel (or load light, get set up to load. it's not cheaper but you'll get more ammo), etc. You'll figure out which things you like and which you don't, and can focus there.

I have had easily two dozen polymer guns set up for competition over the last however many years, but if I was starting over or starting from scratch I would just get a 9mm 2011 bushing barrel with rail. I could use it (or my carry shield) in IDPA, a game I don't like. I like limited but don't care about major. I don't like open. I like 3 gun and steel challenge, and like to shoot matches at night and use my gun for HD. I like outlaw matches, and I''m too busy to load ammo anymore. I love the 1911 platform and trigger. all that said, a double stack 9mm 2011 would fit me to a T for every game I want to shoot, and buying just one of those would have saved a fortune on buying, tuning, and trying things I turned out to not like so much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:49:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2017 1:49:45 PM EST by SuperSet72]
Just based on my observations that even after all this time, the most popular 3gun pistol is still the Glock 34. There are better ones but I still see it everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:54:02 PM EST
First check in to GD USPSA thread

Do you need to buy a new gun? That 75B will work just fine for production. Might spend your money on a nice rig and mags for it. Then you can step up down the line.

If you are dead set on buying a new gun the SP01 does just fine out of the box. The slicked up versions are nice no doubt but money spent on real training materials and ammo is probably better spent in my opinion.

I ran a bone stock Sig 226 stainless for a couple years when I was starting out then picked up a used Edge when I wanted to try limited. There will never be a shortage of people trying to buy the best stuff but it's really not needed until you are mixing it up with the best of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:00:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By KerryW:

View Quote
I'll agree here. you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:08 PM EST
Good advice above. SP01 + half a dozen mags is all he needs. A good Kydex holster (Bladetech is great), competition mag pouches and 2-piece belt. Needless to say ear and eye pro.

After your son has the basic equipment above, spend any additional money on a DILLON progressive reloading press (don't even think about another brand). The 650 is nice if you have the $$$ to deck it out with a case feeder, and especially if you also shoot other calibers. However, if all you are going to shoot in volume is 9mm, and are on a tight budget, then you can do just fine with a Dillon Square Deal B. The SDB comes out of the box ready to load - just bolt it to the bench, set the powder dispenser and bullet seater, and start cranking out rounds. Make the kid do it so he values every pull of the trigger.

Oh, and remember: Dry Fire is Free.

Good luck. I am also blessed with two sons who give me a run for my money (one in 3-Gun, which is exponentially more costly). Enjoy these times... they will be over before you know it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:44:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:21:24 AM EST
Niiiiiiiice. That gun will last a lifetime.

I was just reading on here or somewhere that the Bladetech DOH sometimes sticks out too far from the body so you might want to measure him while he's wearing it to make sure it's within the rules. If he ever goes to a big shoot getting bumped to open will ruin your day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:26:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

View Quote
Pretty much. I bought a used one off of a buddy of mine who needed the cash. I got everything it came with new for about $150 less than the other one I bought new. I consider that a smokin deal based on what I've seen used ones go for.

If you're not shooting huge volumes it seems hard to justify the price of the equipment and components. I've come across brass case 9mm for under $200 per 1K recently. I bought my first 650 6ish years ago when I had to buy 2 cases of 40S&W in one month at 350 per case. It started paying for itself within the first 3 months. And no, reloading doesnt save you any money, it only allows you to shoot that much more for a reduced price!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:59:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Pretty much. I bought a used one off of a buddy of mine who needed the cash. I got everything it came with new for about $150 less than the other one I bought new. I consider that a smokin deal based on what I've seen used ones go for.

If you're not shooting huge volumes it seems hard to justify the price of the equipment and components. I've come across brass case 9mm for under $200 per 1K recently. I bought my first 650 6ish years ago when I had to buy 2 cases of 40S&W in one month at 350 per case. It started paying for itself within the first 3 months. And no, reloading doesnt save you any money, it only allows you to shoot that much more for a reduced price!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

And it just keeps getting cheaper. With the American Eagle rebate Brownells has the American Eagle for $.15 a round. Bought some UMC 115 for like .12 or .13 a round with their rebate. For the little shooting I have been doing lately it's hard to pass that kind of deal up.
Top Top