Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 11/10/2012 5:39:13 PM EST
Just bought a CZ P07 DUTY handgun, which I'm planning on 3-gunning with next year if the gun likes me. Its a Double/single action with an exposed hammer - similar to a Beretta 92F in function. The grip seems to fit my hand really well, and point where I look. Hope to gets some rounds downrange tomorrow.

The pistol comes with 2 safeties - Safety lever 1 is a decocker - when you rack the slide, the hammer stays back. You flip the decocker lever, and it drops the hammer to the 1/2 cock position. The decocking lever springs back to the home position. At this point, a pull of the trigger will push the hammer back, and fire the gun (double action). There is no "safety" engaged, which is different from a 92F, where the safety lever stays in a safe position when you decock the pistol.

With the second safety lever installed, you flip it up with the hammer cocked, and it prevents the hammer from dropping (similar to a 1911 safety).

I'm planning on using the Decocker safety. In 3 gun, if I have to ground a loaded pistol, I would be legal flipping the decocker, and laying the pistol down, since there are no other safeties, correct?
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:56:13 PM EST
Here is the wording used in some common 3 Gun rule sets:
Handgun: Loaded to division start capacity and holstered. In the case of single-action autos or double-action autos with manual override
safeties, the safety catch must be in the “safe” position. In the case of double-action only autos & revolvers, the hammer must be down/forward.

On stages, the Ready Condition of handguns must be "Hammer Down" for DA autos & revolvers, and "Cocked & Locked" for SA autos or DA autos with manual override safeties.

I wouldn't call a decocker a safety. USPSA doesn't allow CZ's to start at half cock, safety off for a legal starting condition. I know most 3 gun matches don't follow USPSA rules but for start conditions of pistols they mirror it pretty closely. The best start and ending position for a CZ is going to be cocked and locked like a 1911 or empty for an ending position if you want to play it safe.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:42:27 PM EST
So in other words, I should remove ther decocker, and install the safety lever for competition.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:45:49 PM EST
I missed the part where the levers could only be installed one at a time. It's clear now that I reread your post. That makes the question a little tougher. For certain the safety lever with the gun cocked and locked will be an acceptable start and safe to abandon that way. That would be the easy and clear cut solution.

Using the decocker with the gun ending at half cock no safety I'm not sure how that would be handled. I'd think you'd have to ask the match director before each match and if he does allow it you'll probably end up having some RO's calling him up to verify his decision. Of course you could always empty the gun completely if that's the route you wanted to go. In USPSA production division they make those shooting CZ's manually lower the hammer to full decock and I think many 3 Gun RO's would make you do that as well for a start position. The 3 Gun matches rule books might be short but unfortunately they don't cover every possible scenario and it ends up being a judgement call by the match director as far as what goes and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 11:31:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:46:24 AM EST
Being a CZ guy, and using CZ's, I can answer this (I even own a P-07).

If you have the decocker installed, it is no different than running a Sig P226 or similar. Load pistol, decock it, and then holster. As Jesse said, abandon it empty, or if allowed abandon it AFTER you use the decocker.

If you change it out to the safety. At the start, you MAY be able to start it in SA, cocked and locked (safety on, hammer back). Most likely you will have to manually decock the pistol. The safety will not engage if the hammer is down.

My suggestion is to leave the decoker installed, and use that. That is how I have mine setup, even though I prefer a manual safety (how my CZ 75's are setup). For the P-07 it just seems to work better.
Top Top