Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 12:34:48 PM EDT
First, I want to apologize for breaking up the post, but I really wanted to get an opinion...

So, to start with, I want to point out that I only recently got started in 3 gun competition.  I'm definitely not in the top tier at all, and to be perfectly honest, at this point, I'm really using this to do two different things for me.  First, I'm using it to improve my practical shooting skills.  I started with IDPA about a year ago, and found how great competition was for that added bonus of making you think while shooting, as well as adding that extra touch of pressure that both competition and a shot clock can do.  Second, its just way to much fun!  LOL

Anyways, right now I've been using my larger carry gun for the matches I go to.  Its a Springfield XD-M 3.8 Compact.  I typically run the extended mags in it so my round count isn't horrible, but that short site radius / barrel is just killing me.  Targets out past the usual "defensive" distances are becoming almost impossible for me to really get to reliably.  In addition to this, I've really been wanting to get something closer to "full size" anyways as when I go camping / hunting, I really prefer to have something larger strapped to my side since I don't worry about concealing at all at that point.  Budget is also a fairly touch constraint on me as well.  I'm in the middle of building a new rifle, but it is almost complete and I'm off to the next step.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've narrowed down my two options.  The first is another Springfield XD-M, but the 5.25 Comp variant.  I've shot it once or twice, really like it, and like how I can swap mags back and forth very easily between the two guns.  I also am a big fan of the ergos for the gun, it fits me very well.  I like the fact that it already comes with the high vis front sight and adjustable rear sights.  The only real problem that I run into is that I can't seem to find alot of accessories that I like.  For example, I run a safariland SLS holster, and love it, but from what I can tell, the 5.25 will not fit the holster designed for the 4.5, but I actually contacted Safariland and they said that they do not make any SLS holsters for the 5.25 comp at all.  This means I have to go to something different, and I haven't really found any holsters that really strike my fancy, short of going to make one myself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The other pistol I've been looking at is the Beretta 92A1.  Now, first, I have to admit, I've had a bit of a love affair with this handgun for a long time anyways.  I love how heavy in the hand it feels, it looks beautiful, and I just like it in general.  Also, to initially get into the gun, it is on average slightly cheaper than the XD-M 5.25 comp.  The problem here is that, once I get the handgun in my hands...thats when it becomes a money pit.  In order to really become the decent competition gun I would like it to be...it would need trigger work, new sights, and I would probably have it converted to a "G" type decocker (basically remove the safety).  However, I love the fixed locking block, and how long term those guns are good for, even with alot of abuse.  Also, accessories are freaking everywhere.

I've tried alot of other common firearms I've seen at my local matches.  Glocks, S&W M&P's, 1911 styles, but none of them stand out to me like those two.

Thoughts?  Short version is this...i'm looking for a gun that can fill two rolls for me, about 40% full size carry gun, and about 60% 3 gun competition pistol.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Of the 2, the XDM 5.25 would be the better choice. You are already accustomed to the ergonomics and operation of the XDM series and magazine interchangeability. There are several companies and gunsmiths making accessories and mods for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top