Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2012 5:52:21 PM EDT
Ok, I've been thinking about trying to get into 3-gun and already have a few pistols and 2 AR's...but no shot gun.  Have only fired a shot gun a few times during 1 weekend at a friends house as well.  It was an 80 y/o extremely hard to pump, pump shotgun.  I've done some research and read an article where Iain recommended a semi-auto shotgun that holds about 8 shells in it.

I'm on a budget (as we all are it seems) and I'm considering a few shotguns.  I like the concept of a pistol grip on the shotgun because I'm more familiar with a pistol and AR; so I figure the transition to the shotgun would be an easy one; if it had a grip on it.

I've been thinking about the Akdal MKA 1919; since it looks and "feels" like an AR or a Saiga 12ga Semi-Auto.  Both can be found locally for about $700; but the Saiga would need to have "massive" mods for it to be what I "want".  The Saiga has a lot more accessories than the Akdal does; larger magazines, pistol grip add-on; picatiny rail system and things like that.

I've also thought about just getting a Mossberg pump or semi-auto that can have a pistol grip added to it; for around $400 (not including the grip) locally - Semi-auto is slightly more.

Here's my question of the day...Am I thinking way to much about this?  

In the end, I would like a nice firing shotgun that is responsive to the trigger pull and easy for me to transition to when changing from the AR over to the shotgun.  I do not want to spend more than $700 for a shotgun; but can spend more if it will get me everything I want now and into the future, versus buying a Mossberg for $400 and having to replace in a year for (say) a Saiga.  

What are your thoughts on this?  
Looking at the Benelli Nova; which looks like it would go for around $500 locally, without a grip; it is a pump and only supports 4 shells in the chamber.
Would you suggest that I look for a 12GA or a 20GA?  Both the Saiga & Akdal come in these caliber.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a couple of people who have tricked out the Mossberg semi, it works very well for them
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you share what you mean by "Tricked out"?  Do you mean they added the rail system, larger choke tube (I think that's what it's called) to hold more shells?

What model Mossberg did they use?

I Was thinking about something like the Mossberg 500SP.  It doesn't look too bad; but it's a pump and only holds 6 out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
One has the 930spx, pretty much stock.  Another  got one of the original 930s w/long barrel and short tube.  He cut back the barrel (no choke) and added a larger bolt handle, an extended tube and side saddle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
There are alot of shotguns out there that you can use. Right now I dont have one but I am looking at a CZ 712 utilities. It sells for about 500 and comes with 5 chokes. You can get a mag extension tube off the CZ website with the Magazine tube spring for 100. The tube is made by Nordic Components. From everything I have read it would be enough to get you started.

Brandon
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, This is pretty basic; but what does a choke allow me to do?  I did some research and what I was noticing were a lot of forums askign what chokes to get for hunting and such.  Does a choke allow me add more shells into the shotgun or do I use different chokes for different shells...like a choke for slugs and another for bird shot (or whatever)?

What does the CZ 712 series with 5 chokes actually allow me to do and why is it something to consider?

Thanks for all the feedback; I greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up the new 24" barrel Mossberg JM930 Pro (their 9+1 shot version of a 3-gun ready shotgun).  It comes with the extended tube, three chokes, loading port already bevelled open and smooth for easier reloading, extended bolt handle, and it has shot everything I have put through it thus far.

I purchased it because I was looking for an inexpensive backup shotgun to my Benelli M2.  I have no intention of changing over to the Mossberg, but I will be bringing it with me to all of the Major shoots just in case something catastrophic happens to my Benelli.

$625.00 out the door ready to compete was a more than fair deal in my opinion.  I think they can be had for a little less if you can find one on the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
What area of Kentucky are you from?
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in Louisville, actually La Grange; just a little north of Louisville.  About an hour away from Lexington where they have some 3 gun at.

Are you in KY?  If so, what area?
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in Louisville, actually La Grange; just a little north of Louisville.  About an hour away from Lexington where they have some 3 gun at.

Are you in KY?  If so, what area?

Near Evansville, IN I shoot 3 gun in Owensboro.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
That's cool, now I know of 2 places here in KY to shoot some 3-Gun in the area.  I have chatted with several people in local gun shops and no one knows of any 3-Gun except the one in Lexington.  What shot-gun do you use and how do you prepare for a competition, if I can ask.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been thinking about the Akdal MKA 1919; since it looks and "feels" like an AR or a Saiga 12ga Semi-Auto.  Both can be found locally for about $700; but the Saiga would need to have "massive" mods for it to be what I "want".  The Saiga has a lot more accessories than the Akdal does; larger magazines, pistol grip add-on; picatiny rail system and things like that.
Looking at the Benelli Nova; which looks like it would go for around $500 locally, without a grip; it is a pump and only supports 4 shells in the chamber.
Would you suggest that I look for a 12GA or a 20GA?  Both the Saiga & Akdal come in these caliber.

Any help would be appreciated.

First, probably 12 gauge.

Next, a word on "Divisions". There are different divisions which separate out high end gear vs mid or entry level. A Saiga or Akdal will almost always put you in "Open" which means you are going against race guns which cost $1000's each. If you want a box-magazine fed shotgun, go for it but be warned that your competition will be tougher

Last, a Nova or Benelli M1 or M2 or Rem 1100 or 1187 or Mossberg 930 or Win SX2 or SX3 or some others all have magazine extensions available. The ideal barrel will be 20-24" long.

Probably the best deal right now (if you can find one) is the Mossberg 930 JM Pro. The web has them about $600, but not any stock. No pistol grip, but few top 3gun shooters use one.

ETA: I shoot a Remington 1100 Competition Master, which is no longer available. If I were getting a new shotgun now, it would be the 930, possible FN SLP, or if I just got a bonus at work, a Benelli semi-auto.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's cool, now I know of 2 places here in KY to shoot some 3-Gun in the area.  I have chatted with several people in local gun shops and no one knows of any 3-Gun except the one in Lexington.  What shot-gun do you use and how do you prepare for a competition, if I can ask.

I have a Mossberg 930 that I pieced together last year that is very similar to the guns done by Benny Hill that the JM 930 is based off on.

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for this great information and I thought there were only 2 "divisions" for 3-gun.  One being with scopes and such and the other without...not that the choice of firearms would change the class of the division (if you get what I'm saying).

I appreciate your input and explination on these things.  I'm looking at getting into it and having fun.  When I feel that I've gotten to an area where I can handle tougher competition, then I'll look at the "Open" area where the competition it more tough than where I would enter at.

I have seen some Mossberg 930's (Not the JM Pro series) with an 18" barrel.  Would that be "too short" to make a good usable shotgun?  One of the gun shops I know of in Lexington has the Mossberg 930; but it's out of stock as well.  I'll keep my eye out for that one or check some of the others you listed and go from there.  It looks like the 930 is a 10 round semi-auto for $600; which is fine with me.  I don't need a magazine or a pistol grip...I was just thinking it would be easier of a transition for me if I had one.

Thanks a lot for all the explinations from everyone.  I knew that the shotgun shells fired "BB's"; but I had no clue as to how much the choke played in it's spread.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
The last couple of matches in Owensboro have been setup so you could shoot them rifle and pistol only. I don't know if the June 30th match will be but I can find out. Also, if you can make one of our matches I am sure we can find you a shotgun to borrow.

I would say you could use mine for sure but sometimes I work weekends.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the offer.  From what I can see at Blue Grass Sportsmen, there is a match on May 26th and they are not using the "Heavy Metal Optics Division"; so that's a good thing, I think.

I've called a local shop (that I just found) and asked them about the Mossberg 930 JM Pro series and they do not have one in stock; but they do have a "blackwater" that he said they have sold to some 3-gunners and they have been happy with it.  What are your thoughts on this shotgun and I know it's a pump versus a semi auto and I would be losing 1 shell capacity; but that 1 doesn't bother me as much as the pump versus semi auto.

I'll probably come out to the competition in Owensboro in June; if I'm in town, just to try my hand or at least see what they have to offer.  Thanks for letting me know about it as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive called around to my local dealers too and no dice (Maryland)..I even called to a couple places in VA and also nothing..I can pretty much assume that they are being sold at a fast rate. Does anyone know anyone that has one in stock?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like the 930 JM Pro has 2 models, 9 shot or 10 shot, either one works.

Generally, an 18.5" barrel is a little short because a mag extension sticks out. Be sure it has chokes; you do NOT want a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel for 3 gun, and looks like the Blackwater is just that.

As for availability, if i get a chance, I will ask Jerry tomorrow about general availability. He is shooting a match I am working at.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the help on this.  I called another local shop and they were out of it as well but gave me the Mossberg part numbers for each of the 930's suggested.    He did mention that there seems to be a shortage nation wide and Bud's confirmed this.  Both said they could order it for me; but has no idea when they may be coming in.

The 9 shell capacity seems to be a 22" barrel and the 10 shell has a 24" barrel.

I do have this shop looking to see where he may be able to order them from and if I can find one, I'll post where I got it from.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help on this.  I called another local shop and they were out of it as well but gave me the Mossberg part numbers for each of the 930's suggested.    He did mention that there seems to be a shortage nation wide and Bud's confirmed this.  Both said they could order it for me; but has no idea when they may be coming in.

The 9 shell capacity seems to be a 22" barrel and the 10 shell has a 24" barrel.

I do have this shop looking to see where he may be able to order them from and if I can find one, I'll post where I got it from.

Thanks!  Some people have the 22" in stock but no 24"...Decisions Decisions...

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]
That's the truth; would it be better to have one at a lower capacity and barrel length or not have one at all?

So far I have found one place that can order me a 22" barrel (at the same price as a 24") and I'm facing the same question.

I do have a clarification question though for anyone.

Lmccrock mentioned that I do NOT want a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel for 3-gun...why is this?  
If I understand the theroy of what everyone is telling me about shotguns and the technical stuff that make up a shotgun, then I believe that with a shorter barrel (18.5") the spread of the pellets would be larger than a longer barrel (22") at the same distance.  SO in other words, the shorter barrel would have less pellets on target than a longer barrel; which means 2 things...either you will hit the target and not knock it down or you could accidentally hit a friendly target that you would lose points for doing.  

Is this the reason for the longer barrel?  ALSO, in that aspect.  I called a local shop and they have a shotgun that meets a lot of my criteria (Under $600, semi-auto, multiple chokes, 9+ capacity) but one thing it doesn't have is a 20" - 24" barrel...theirs has a 26 or 28" barrel.  Is this a problem?  I think it could be when firing at clay (not enough spread), but not sure.

I'm just trying to figure out what features I should be focusing on when buying this shotgun and what features I could potentially ignore or put into the category of "Would be nice if it had".  

I called another local shop and they have a "tricked out" Mossberg 930 SPX.  Basically the SPX has a pistol grip, sights, picatiny rail system, flash light and laser (or something like that) for only $800.  
The questions I'm asking myself are:

1. Does the 18.5" barrel really matter THAT much?

2. Is the 9 - 10 round capacity that big of a deal?

3. (Most importantly) Do I REALLY need all that fluff on my shotgun?  Would it make it more functional or just look really cool to impress the gang?

As always your input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's the truth; would it be better to have one at a lower capacity and barrel length or not have one at all?

So far I have found one place that can order me a 22" barrel (at the same price as a 24") and I'm facing the same question.

I do have a clarification question though for anyone.

Lmccrock mentioned that I do NOT want a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel for 3-gun...why is this?  
If I understand the theroy of what everyone is telling me about shotguns and the technical stuff that make up a shotgun, then I believe that with a shorter barrel (18.5") the spread of the pellets would be larger than a longer barrel (22") at the same distance.  SO in other words, the shorter barrel would have less pellets on target than a longer barrel; which means 2 things...either you will hit the target and not knock it down or you could accidentally hit a friendly target that you would lose points for doing.  

Is this the reason for the longer barrel?  ALSO, in that aspect.  I called a local shop and they have a shotgun that meets a lot of my criteria (Under $600, semi-auto, multiple chokes, 9+ capacity) but one thing it doesn't have is a 20" - 24" barrel...theirs has a 26 or 28" barrel.  Is this a problem?  I think it could be when firing at clay (not enough spread), but not sure.

I'm just trying to figure out what features I should be focusing on when buying this shotgun and what features I could potentially ignore or put into the category of "Would be nice if it had".  

I called another local shop and they have a "tricked out" Mossberg 930 SPX.  Basically the SPX has a pistol grip, sights, picatiny rail system, flash light and laser (or something like that) for only $800.  
The questions I'm asking myself are:

2. Is the 9 - 10 round capacity that big of a deal?

3. (Most importantly) Do I REALLY need all that fluff on my shotgun?  Would it make it more functional or just look really cool to impress the gang?

The issue with the 18.5 cylinder bore only shotgun is that it may have difficulty knocking over the steel plates or poppers. It has more to do with not being threaded for chokes being more of an issue than barrel length, I assume anyways

More rounds you can load, the less you have to reload. That 1/2 extra capacity really can make a difference.

I don't think you will impress many at a match with a tacticool shotgun lol, keep it light and simple.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

2. The choke is a bigger issue, not the length. But there will be some some longish (60-90 yards) slug shots and the longer sight radius would help. Longer, like >24, gets to be harder to swing around. Bunch of folks use 24+ inch shotgun barrels, but they are not novices

3. Is the 9 - 10 round capacity that big of a deal?

4. It does not sound like much, but an extra 1-2 rounds is big in shotgun. However, you can always replace the mag extension if you end up with an SPX and want more capacity

5. (Most importantly) Do I REALLY need all that fluff on my shotgun?  Would it make it more functional or just look really cool to impress the gang?

6. Nothing wrong with looking cool.But I would not know. If a pistol grip were faster, all the winners would use them.

My thoughts in red
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot my first 3-gun match using my HD Mossberg 500 pump and hit every target I shot at (well.....with a few misses ) and used a velcro side saddle for reloads.  Unfortunately in every stage that had a shotgun I went over on time becasue of the reloads.  If I had used the twins reloading method I think I would have been under on time.  I might not have been in the top finishers on the shotty stages but I don't think I would have been at the bottom either.

Having said that, after the match I purchased a Mossberg 930 SPX.    I hope to run it this weekend for the first time, having 8 in the tube has to help.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#28]
If you can afford to do so, this deal is very hard to beat. A JM Mossberg 930 for 549 shipped for the 24in model. Wish I would have opted for a 24 rather than a 22in when I had my 930 cut down

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/gun-sale/mossberg-jerry-miculek-pro-12ga-24-10-shot-85118.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Capacity is important in shotgun, because reloading the shotgun is where the most opportunity for mistakes exist in 3 gun (imho).  Loading loose shells by hand, while improved with caddies and practice, is still prone to dropped shells and other mistakes.

On the other hand, in WI the 3 gun rules outside of Open Division limit the shotgun to 9 rounds loaded (if the stage is preloaded).  Having a 10+1 shotgun might not be much advantage, however once the timer beeps, you can load over that limit.  

I have 24" guns with 9 and 10 shot tubes.  A Winchester 1300 for Heavy Metal and an 11-87 for Tactical.  Choke is more important than length when it comes to spread.  I use a modified or IC choke and have had no problems with either clays, poppers, stars, or the like.

I think practicing loading of whatever shotgun you pick will be more important than the shotgun itself (as long as it's reliable).  When you have 30 targets to engage, and a 9 or 10 capacity gun, hand dexterity, coordination and loading technique will matter as much, if not more, than whether you miss 1 target or shoot clean.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#30]
to the OP, If you havent picked anything up yet, you may check out the stoeger m2000 line. they are inexpensive new, ~450, and can be found CHEAP used. They run on the same inertia system as benelli. to get one 90% race ready all you need to do is add  a nordic extension tube. i am pretty happy with mine.

if you make it down to the next 3 gun at the bgsl near lexington ky, look me up. i am the guy with the camo franken-stoeger.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I shoot at the 3-gun event at the BGSL near Lexington every chance I get, great fun.  Here is what I did -Mossberg 930 warefowel, sold the 28' ported barrel and replaced it with a 24" non-ported barrel from Mossberg threaded for chokes (chokes where included with purchase) added a choate +5 mag extention and a Remington 870 barrel/mag ext clap. It's a war beast and runs just as good as the big money shottys.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
A lot of people trying to make a cheaper version of a Benelli M1/M2.  At the end of the day, by the time you get it all setup, you could have easily just bought a used M1 or M2.  I love M1 from Accurate Iron and it's likely the last shotgun I buy...except for another M1 tuned by Mike.

The only other gun I'd consider is a FN SLP and even that, you send off to Predator Tactical for them to work their magic.  They do all the Team FNH guns.  The work isn't advertised, but just call and they'll take care of you.

Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top