User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2013 6:54:33 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the TA31A Acog in 3 gun
Pros And Cons?
FYI my rifle is a 16 inch barrel 5.56
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I see you haven't really got any responses yet. I'm going to throw out my .02 cents for whatever it is worth.

I have used TA31F in military service but not in 3-gun. I think the problem you are going to run into is the fixed magnification of the ACOG. This will be especially prominent at short range. The ACOG would be fine for your distant shots but I would hesitate to use one if most of your shots are going to be below 200 yards/150 yards.

Ultimately, what I think it would come down to, is how much have you shot with the ACOG? If you have shot alot with it at 25 yards to 150 yards and your comfortable with it, it may work for you. I wiill say, I have not seen many ACOGs in use. If your competent with the Binden Aiming Concept, it will help. I would also recommend a set of offset iron sights to transition to for short range engagements.

I hope this gives you a little bit to think about. Hopefully, someone will come along with some more substantial comments.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much sir
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've held off on a comment as you were specific on the 31A...I've shot a TA01 (crosshair dot) and currently a 31F with red chevron...I shoot a 16" mid, and with the TA01 it would shoot 4" five shot groups at 400m.... and managed to place 12th on the long range stage at FB3G in 2009....I am still learning the 31F, especially the illuminated chevron and the BAC ability, the gun is on target and in position to fire, and I'm still thinking about a perfect shot (I have a slow reaction time... I'm dominant right eyed, and right handed with a reaction time around .22sec)....I am learning to trust in the sight and do shoot both eyes open....I like the 31F reticle that is very uncluttered.... no horizontal and vertical lines through the principal sighting area to cover up any of the target....the chevron inner vertex replaced the 200m stadia line on the TA01.... what I really like about the 4x32s is that the stadia line for the BDC subtends a known distance (19") at the indicated distance.... which gives you 10" of windage correction each side of the vertical.... the hold off is on the correct elevation line, and you don't have to hold off with both windage and elevation to a place in "space"  as with mil-dots...
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
You're going to need either a 45 degree offset set of irons or a small red dot.  I assure you that on close range targets you will get lost in the magnification. For a while I tried a TA11F and the BAC.  It's slow compared to an optic with 1X, frustrating too.

Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
thank you
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
can you reccomend a set of sights or a small red dot
I was looking into to the rmr but the price is a bit steep
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Off the top of my head, Surefire makes a set of offset irons, $238 though.  JP Enterprises makes irons also.   As for a mini RDS Burris, Vortex, Trijicon, Leupold all make them, just depends on how much you want to spend. Daniel Defense makes a pretty cool mini RDS offset sight mount.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally don't believe the fixed magnification of the ACOG will work that great for 3G. It also is very expensive for a optic that may or may not work out for you at close range. Have you seen the Millet Designated Marksman Scope 1-4X? It's very inexpensive but they are great quality and combine best of both types (CQB & distance). The other option I would suggest is a 1-4x24 Vortex Razer HD or any other low magnification scope (1.5-6X) on a Warne R.A.M.P. mount with an offset C-More STS or Trijicon RMR red dot sight. That is my favorite setup.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive only done two 3gun events, but both of them Ive done with an ACOG and I like it very much. I have 45* offset Irons on the side (Danial Defense A1.5 with the large A2 aperture) and for up close targets I can roll the rifle in so I can see through the irons and bang away on stuff up close....then for the far away stuff just roll the rifle back where it should be and shoot. No taking your hands off the weapon, no throwing a lever over on your 1-4x. I like that very much and think Ill keep doing it.

Im not a super high speed guy...I just brought the gun I use for coyotes, but it works for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used an ACOG for the past year in 3-gun.  I sold it today when I got called about the Vortex 1-6 that I was on a wait list for.

ACOGs are excellent optics for many uses, but there are better options for 3-gun.  I found mine to excel up close with both eyes open.  It was the thick-ish stadia lines and marginal magnification at beyond 300 yards that broke the deal for me.

I have gradually replaced equipment when I reached the point where it was holding me back.  Save yourself some headaches and get a quality variable if you plan to 3-gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top