Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2011 10:16:24 AM EDT
Ok, looking at an 18" rifle, however I would like a little input regarding the barrel .  
What are the pros and cons of a light contour vs a medium contour barrel.  I realize it is a few ounces, how about the balance, shootability, accuracy, heat , longevity?.

How do you prefer it and why.     I assume everyone recommends the longest handguard possible?
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer medium contour 18" for 3-gunning. The extra weight adds significant stability and makes me more confident in zero holding as the barrel heats up. To balance the gun I put a MagPul UBR on the back.

I also have a lightweight 16" for those few situations where weight matters, but I find it too nervous to be optimal for 3-gun.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for medium contour.  I have it on both my 18" and 16".

Stealthy - Get out of my head!!!

Rich
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I see a trend.......
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
So what diameter (roughly) would you all consider medium contour?  About .700", .720"?
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I prefer medium contour 18" for 3-gunning. The extra weight adds significant stability and makes me more confident in zero holding as the barrel heats up. To balance the gun I put a MagPul UBR on the back.

I also have a lightweight 16" for those few situations where weight matters, but I find it too nervous to be optimal for 3-gun.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/stealthyblagga/1816AR15SS15.jpg

nice set up, are these production, or did you put them together?  are those aimpoints?

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an 18".  Wanted a Med contour, wound up with the DPMS Mark XII heavy barrel.  But, that weighty bbl, combined with the rifle length RRA half quad rail forearm, rifle gas, and the phantom comp, makes the gun's recoil about like a .22lr.  The rifle is a tad heavy, about 8 pounds, but I used it all this year in 3 gun matches, and it did great.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
In many instances, I am thinking  weight of the rifle may not be as much of a factor for  certain sizes and strength of shooters.   It actually maybe more stable  for them
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In many instances, I am thinking  weight of the rifle may not be as much of a factor for  certain sizes and strength of shooters.   It actually maybe more stable  for them

Definitely.  Soaks up the recoil, and is a stable platform.  It's not like you have to carry the thing around all day. Well, as long as you have a cart like 87% of 3-gunners do. ;)  

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what diameter (roughly) would you all consider medium contour?  About .700", .720"?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top