Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 10:56:00 AM EDT
My boys, almost 5 and 4, I think are ready for the real deal next year.  Thinking about upgrading there red riders for a 22.  
When did you know they were ready.  I'm still right beside them when plinking with there BB guns.   They finally got the sights down. That took all summer.  They still pull there shots sometimes. But soda cans beware! There getting Better every time I take them out.  
As far as equipment, I was tossing up the idea of Henry 22 lever actions youths.  Or that new Thompson center hotshot youth, its a single shot with a hammer as the only safety.    Gotta get 2 of the same guns whatever I do.     Any ideas or tips?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with a Ruger Mk II Bull Barrel, or any of the Ruger .22 pistols.

I know there are cheaper .22 rifles out there, but for my .02, I like my Ruger bolt action.  It has the lines of a larger rifle, but scaled down.

I have both, so I'm biased.

Best of future experiences shooting with your sons!!

––Ed
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
CZ Scout!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Marlin Papoose maybe..
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger 10/22.  If you're concerned about them doing mag dumps, only load 1 round in each mag.

Otherwise, I'd say a CZ 452.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Savage Cub and cut down the stock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
H&R 1871 Sportster.  They make a youth model with a shorter LOP

I have the grownup model in 17HMR.  Costs $100 and is scary accurate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you'll find the Henry a bit heavy for your boys.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The only rifle that I found that would fit my son at that age was the cricket rifle, even the "youth" model of other brands was too big and heavy for him to hold up properly. I got the synthetic stocked version because it was even lighter. Whatever you do, I would not start them off with a simi auto pistol like the ruger MK III suggested above. As a bonus, the cricket was one of the only rifles that came with a peep sight which might help with future transition to the AR platform. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Walyworld has the Henry single shot youth rifles for $109

They come with fiber optic sights.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1 My grandson is six and has one of these waiting for his birthday in November.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Savage .22 Bolt w/ synthetic stock; put a red dot type sight on it for my 10 year old daughter. She shoots it from a bench; yes the stock is still big for her. But as she grows it will still be usable for her. She enjoys the hell out of it shooting targets of squirrels, prairie dogs, and coyotes. I have also let her shoot my AR-15 w/ 7.62x39 or 5.56x45 uppers on it and she liked that just that it was a lot louder. Once she is done growing I will mod a rifle or buy her, her own rifle. But if I do get her to go hunting in the next few years my AR has a collapsible stock I can adjust down for her. Otherwise till then she can shoot from a bench or prone. Biggest challenge right now is she is right handed and left eye dominate. this is my biggest challenge right now!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I was recently faced with this same dilemma.  I went to a funshow intent to buy a Cricket but I left with a CZ Scout.  Here was my thought process;

Most "adult" guns were too heavy or had too long of stocks for kids to use.  The Cricket would certainly work (and the price was right) but it was too small for even my petite girlfriend.  This meant that the Cricket would only be good as a youth rifle.

On the other hand, the CZ was still plenty light, is silly accurate and can easily be made into an adult rifle with a simple slip-on pad or by adding any other "adult" CZ 452 stock.  It also has scope mounts in the reciever so potentially adding a scope is easy.  It was also a good size to teach my girlfriend or my brother's wife to shoot.

Personally I'd stay away from long or bull barrelled guns.  That's what I started with (Savage Model 19) and I think that's why I took so long to shoot well offhand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Ruger 10/22 all the way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#15]
My opinion is to stay away from SA for first guns.  They need to learn the basics of shooting and safety.  

You can't go wrong with a Browning BL-22.  They are great guns and the size is perfect for a little kid yet not too small for an adult. I learned on a BL-22 when I was 7 years old.  I still have the gun and it will be my son's first gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CZ Scout!

+1 - without question. The CZ 452 Scout is not only is a great starter rifle but it's a rifle they will want to keep and shoot their whole life.

ETA - a 10/22 is a decent alternative (that was my sons first rifle) and does give a lot of "down the road" options but I think a bolt action with a single shot adapter is a better place to start (especially with real young children) and the fact that the CZ Scout is not much more $ wise then a 10/22 these days but is 2x the gun quality wise IMO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 My grandson is six and has one of these waiting for his birthday in November.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/HENH005lg.jpg

Another +1 for the mini bolt. I bought one for my son when he was 6 and boy did he outgrow it fast. The good thing is YOU won't be tempted to shoot it alot b/c it's so small. I had to shoot it like a pistol.

ETA: I wish it had a longer fore end. It would have been better to teach with a sling and shooting prone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a Cricket for my youngest when he was 5.  Thinking about another for my grandson but I've got some time as he is only 2.5 yo now.  My youngest is now 17 and 6'1" and won't give up the Cricket to his nephew, says he's going to give it to his furture sons.

Cricket- lightweight at only 2.5 lbs, single shot and factory has full size stocks when they get older.
Chimpmunk, same rifle as the Cricket
Henry bolt as mentioned, AR7 also has a short pull and only weighs 2.5 lbs
Savage Cub as mentioned
Marlin 15Y available in blue or stainless now made in Mayfield Ky
Mossberg Half Pint-comes with a removeable single shot magazine plug.  Can use model 801 10 rd mags later
NEF-single shot
Rossi-single shot with .243 or 20ga/410 bbl combos.
CZ as already mentioned
TC Hot Shot, 3 lbs, break open, 19" bbl, reciever sights (thinking about one but haven't seen it yet)

Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Kimber currently no youth .stocked 22s
Thinking outside the box here.  Colt M4 .22 and Smith & Wesson M&P15-22, both are semi autos but have collaspable stocks.

CD
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Savage Cub single shot .22 with the acutrigger, availble with peep sights
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#20]

NEF rifles can be had with more than one barrel.  NEF has a "Barrel Accessory Program".  

Say you ordered a youth model .22 with a skinny open sighted barrel.  When the kids outgrow that setup, a heavy 17HMR can be ordered.  Or a 22 Magnum.

When the LOP gets too short, NEF has a longer buttstock you can order.

When you send in the the receiver to get fitted for the new barrel, NEF will cleanup the trigger for free if you ask them.

NEF Sportster in 17HMR with big honkin' scope.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Kimber currently no youth .stocked 22s

Not true... Remington Model 5 compact and Ruger 10/22 Compact

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Airgunner, I stand corrected.  I see a length of pull on the Remington 12 3/8".  I might be interested in that for my grandson as it has a mag and single shot adapter if I can find one but just noticed that it now discontiued.

CD
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd vote for CZ 452 Scout as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
just noticed that it now discontiued.

Sorry - didn't know that? Wonder why its still on their site?

Looks like the same rifle will still be imported by USSG inc. as the Zastava Z5 compact but at the price point, I can't see any reason to go with that one instead of a CZ-USA 452 scout?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd vote for CZ 452 Scout as well.

yup, that's what my girls are shooting

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#26]
452 scout, Savage cub, or Henry Mini bolt ought to work well
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]
My daughter started on the CZ 452.  Perfect rifle for her, but she's tall for her age.  I wanted to surprise her with it as a gift but decided to take her to the gun store so she could try a couple on to see if they fit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Savage Cub single shot .22 with the acutrigger, availble with peep sights

BING-BING-BING!!!!

Very nice trigger.  Very reasonable price, mine was under $200.  Nice and light.  And being single-shot, they learn to place their shots.  I looked at all of the options before I bought one for my son, and bought the cub.  If I had it to do over again, the only thing I would change would be to buy TWO of them!

I bought it for him on his third birthday.  By his fourth birthday, he could sit at the bench, hold and aim it by himself, and hit a small swinger at ten yards almost very time.

Since he was only three when I bought it, I did shorten the stock a little more (saw + sander = quick and free).  Every time I take it to the range, people look at it and chuckle.  But when people try it... they are always impressed.  And  I am not exaggerating when I say that people stop shooting just to watch my son knock the targets down.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top