Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 7:41:20 AM EDT
there is a calico on sale for $500 at the fun store down the street.  for a while i have wanted a 9mm carbine but the cx4 and pc9 are more than i wanted to spend.  the guy behind the counter said it is a pretty good range gun but probably not the greatest if i was going to be taking somewhere dirty.  would this be an incredibly stupid firearm to buy or are they neat guns and fun to shoot?  or should i just go with my previous yearn for a 9mm pistol with a manual safety for condition 1 carry(cz75/85, para, sa 1911)?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I owned one. In my opinion it's a POS.

Drum mag broke 3 times.

I was finally able to sell it...cheap.

I'd spend the money on something worthwhile...

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Why did I think you were talking about a cat?  

Anyway, I think I found the ultimate 9mm with external safety:  

What do you think?  MJD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with GummyBear.  For $500 you could get something much nicer than a calico.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why did I think you were talking about a cat?  

Anyway, I think I found the ultimate 9mm with external safety:  
www.sigarms.com/images/catalog/product/226X5-TAC-left.jpg

What do you think?  MJD

yeah i don't have that kind of money but i wish i did.

the guy at the store said that mag was the draw of the weapon but also its weakest part in terms of reliability.  

i am thinking about another cz75 to go with my compact decocker.  but that is for another thread at another time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw one at my local fun shop that was for sale pretty cheap, I think it was around $300.  

Anyway, I shouldered it,  POS.   The stock needs more adjustment positions.  Its either too short or too long, the sights are real crude. and its heavy even empty, a hundred rounds of 9mm would just put it over the top.

I put it back down and quicly moved on...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a 9mm carbine, I'd look around for a used Vector Uzi.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Put the $500 towards a 9mm AR-15.  I know the "itch" can be pretty overwhelming, but if you fight the temptation, you will be grateful in having a 9mm AR-15, Beretta Storm, or some other better quality 9mm carbine than the Calico.  If I had the cash I've spent on POS weapons, I think I would have enough to buy 1 or 2 nice ARs.

If you absolutely must have a 9mm carbine right away,  take a look at the Kel-Tec Sub2000.  You can find these used in $250-$300 range and it's a whole lot more reliable than the Calico.  The Sub2000s can take either S&W, Glock, Beretta, or Sig 9mm mags too.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
There are CX4s going for $450 on gunbroker.com. If your fun store charges you $50 to do the transfer, you can stay in your price range...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
i have decided to pass on the calico.  and for the record i do not like the ar platform.  in my brief experience with it i found it to be the biggest pain in the ass to clean and not especially enjoyable to shoot.  

but i have decided instead to buy some accessories for the handguns i have instead of another gun.  i am going to try to stick to 4 and pay down some debt.  but i will pick up some grips for my mkiii and cz75 compact as well as a holster for the latter and my ruger p95.  it is a lot easier to justify to myself spending $50 at a time 4-5 times than $400 once plus some other goodies to go with it.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
9mm Clico was one of the worst guns I ever owned.  Sold it for a loss, never looked back.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]
still have mine it is junk, interesting concept, and if the production quality/materials were beter it would be a decent gun but, unfortunatly they are not,  pass on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top