Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 2:20:13 PM EDT
hope i dont get shunned for asking but i shoot all wolf in my AK  with no issues. but will it be ok in my M1A?  any problems or damage possible?  thanks all!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
something told me not to ask that ?   thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Only in an M14S...

~Will
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
It won't hurt anything.  I shoot it in my SOCOM all the time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
It amazes me that someone would spend over $1000 (in some cases much more) on a very nice rifle then try to be cheap on the ammo used.   I was at the range on Thursday and saw a guy beating a stuck case out of his m1a with a cleaning rod.  Turned out he was using indian...

Ammo is just like the rifle.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It amazes me that someone would spend over $1000 (in some cases much more) on a very nice rifle then try to be cheap on the ammo used.   I was at the range on Thursday and saw a guy beating a stuck case out of his m1a with a cleaning rod.  Turned out he was using indian...

Ammo is just like the rifle.  You get what you pay for.

AMEN Brother......  WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#11]
its odd about how some of you mention you would never run wolf through your rifle
however I see a few mags out there -ie SWAT, GWLE, I think SAR and a few others do some testing with wolf and with good results...
Ive run it in many of my rifles with barley a hiccup...out of thousands of rounds I think I had one stuck case...but the weird thing was the new poly wolf jams in my SAR1...so i search for the green laquered wolf for that rifle...
I guess Ive been lucky that my Bushy carbine has no issues with that ammo
granted its not MOA but it still goes bang...however I do use mostly milsurp and for shoots I have some wolf just so I dont have to dish out a ton of money for my friends to shoot...
Im not knocking or condoning wolf
Im just telling of my experiences...also I have never had to throw away a single round due to defects or crushed cases....FED XM193 has had a few crushed rounds and as weird as it sounds some other ammo has had red tip tracers mixed in which was weird
just my 2.5 cents
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had nothing but good experiences with Wolf. Sure its a little dirty, but its cheap, in my guns it has been reliable, and while it doesn't produce the finest accuracy, it works well enough. Now I can see if you have a national match rifle or something of that sort then you might want to put the finest ammo through it. Fair enough, but if you are just looking to dump some decent ammo through your general purpose rifle or SHTF rifle or something of that sort then I say go for it.

That all being said, I understand that a lot of people don't like wolf. They are entitled to that opinion and I am not going to argue. People have had both good and bad experiences with it, I however have had good luck with it in my weapons so I will keep using it. I say get a little, try it out, see what you think. Form your own opinion.

Warner
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I fired about 10 rounds of 150 grain Wolf through my new SOCOM before I knew better. It worked OK however I called SA to ask a question about another matter and mentioned Wolf ammo. SA's response was that they do not recommend steel case ammo in their M1A's and I got the impression that they didn't care much for Wolf. I have not fired any more Wolf through my Socom having bought some South African surplus and some Remington 150 grain FMJ ammo. Unfortunately I have about 120 rounds of Wolf left. I will probably keep it as "last resort" ammo and hopefully never use it. My Socom suffered no ill effects from the Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I use wolf almost exclusively in my AKs, and I use it for blasting ammo and short range plinking (letting the kid shoot the ARs the whole afternoon ammo.) When I  seriously am out to train and practice I use the SAME ammo that I store for a rainy day. I may plink with my M1A using wolf when I got out to the pit to relax or let the girlfriend shoot because I don't want to waste my 2K+ stockpile of I.V.I.  '86 7.62, but I would NOT use wolf for any seriolus purpose in an M1A/M14 or an AR pattern rifle unless I had NO other choice. All in all the reliability has been pretty good (I don't shoot it enought between cleanings to cause enough fouling to create problems) and I can't notice a difference in accuracy when I shoot offhand at 200 yards and less.

Bottom line, if you want to use wolf, use it for plinking/can busting, and save the milsurp for the rainy days.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never had an issue with wolf in any of my rifles, although my M1A's have never seen the stuff. Just doesn't feel right. I think surplus like SA or Portugese is a much better choice and certainly not much more expensive. Sometimes a day of shooting comes down to just putting some lead down range and watching the action. I've never felt it that important to learn something every time I go out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wolf also has brass cased .308 now.

Is that the "Wolf Gold"?  Its just as expensive as US commercial stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:40:02 AM EDT
[#19]
You unwashed godless heathen.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have had nothing but good experiences with Wolf. Sure its a little dirty, but its cheap, in my guns it has been reliable, and while it doesn't produce the finest accuracy, it works well enough. Now I can see if you have a national match rifle or something of that sort then you might want to put the finest ammo through it. Fair enough, but if you are just looking to dump some decent ammo through your general purpose rifle or SHTF rifle or something of that sort then I say go for it.

Warner

I would agree.  Only match ammo for match rifle, but if a SHTF rifle can't eat Wolf, I'd say that is a problem.  

Now if I can only get others to believe what I say.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe you.  And I also don't find wolf to be horribly inaccurate, its just not that great. I would say its fair to middlin. Good enough for plinkin and havin fun, runnin and gunnin when 3 moa is good enough. I have no qualms shooting it through my Ar, M1A, glocks, springfield .45, etc. Now perhaps I have been lucky, but I will keep shooting it. If I have a SHTF weapon that doesnt like the cheap stuff, then I am going to reevaluate whether I would really trust that weapon during an emergency where all I can get is what I can scrounge. That is my .02.....which is not worth all that much.  Anyhoo, if you don't like it don't shoot it. More for mewarner
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#22]
wolf only goes in my sks, ak, and romak 3's

THATS IT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top