Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:51:54 PM EDT
I inherited some guns from my grandfather and I went to a gunshow recently and noticed a very similar looking shotgun to one I had was going for a grand! I asked the dealer if it was really worth a grand and I had one that looked just like it and he said yeah it's a model 12. So I looked at the one I have and sure enough it's a model 12, winchester 12 gage pump with 2and3/4 chamber in very good condition. My question is where/how should I sell this for the best price? The serial number is 150XXXX and I obviously don't have an FFL so I can't sell it on gunbroker I don't think without a third party. Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I inherited some guns from my grandfather Thanks for any input!

Why sell it? You should honor your Grandfather by keeping it and cheerishing it, and when the time comes, pass it down

Just my thought
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I know what you're saying but that's not the whole story, my grandfather is actually still alive. The REAL story is I inherited it from my dad (if that's the right word) cause my grandfather gave it to him and then my dad got sent to the pen for life, thus my dad's guns became mine (or the police were going to destroy them after they confiscated all his weapons when they arrested him) and I wasn't going to let that happen. So there's the whole story.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I still wouldn't get rid of them
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
keep it and pass it on to your children.  that is what i plan to do with my 16 gauge model 12 that i got when my great grandfather passed away

these are an actual piece of history
Brett
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys, I think I will keep it. It really is a nice looking rife and it will only go up in value anyway. I was looking at gun value blue books and noticed there are several types, any reccomendations as to which one to get? I also have an underwood m1 carbine that I will never get rid of (first gun I ever shot) but I'm curious as to the value as well as the model 12. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
A few quick questions about the gun: does the barrel have a rib on it? If so what kind? What kind of  forend? Is it checkered or corrugated? What is the condition over all? With those asked the gun was made in 1917 and could be worth some coin but is dependant on what it is. If you are going to shoot it, and you definitely should- a lot, you should have the chamber measured. Even though it says 2 3/4" it may be short because paper shells were shorter, roll crimp as opposed to a star crimp of a plastic shell. Shooting it might kick you more than it should not to mention raising the chamber pressure because there will be plastic from the shell in the forcing cone. If you are interested in finding out more about model 12's there is a book by Dave Riffle called "The Greatest Hammerless Repeating Shotgun Ever Built:" which is the best book on the gun out there. Awesome shotgun good luck with it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad gave me a model 12.  I later sold it.  I'm still kicking myself, learn from my mistake.  My dad is still pissed!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
At my local tactical arms dealer yesterday I saw he had a Model 12 Trench Gun, in real nice shape. He wanted $2000 for it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
At my local tactical arms dealer yesterday I saw he had a Model 12 Trench Gun, in real nice shape. He wanted $2000 for it!

Funny, my local dealer has one for $200 or so.  Grantede the barrel has to be 32" long, and it is in fair shape, but it works...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the one he has is the genuine article, 18" cyl. bore barrel, heat shield, etc. The one they made for the military. I'll have to do a search and see if I can find out more info on it. Like this:

Found this one online for $2150!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think the one he has is the genuine article, 18" cyl. bore barrel, heat shield, etc. The one they made for the military. I'll have to do a search and see if I can find out more info on it. Like this:

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/AirCommando/TrenchGun.jpg

Found this one online for $2150!

Nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top