Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2009 4:04:40 AM EDT by Crito]
I do not know much about belt feed rifles.

Anyone care to inform me why they are not popular. I only seen a few on sale (online) and they seem very pricey. Is it because of the rarity or the difficulty of making them?

Sorry I have not selpt for 24 hours, waiting to show my house.

working weird hours sucks.

reason why I am asking such a weird and silly question.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:09:46 AM EDT
Why would someone want one? Pretty hard to hunt with it. Not necessary at the range. I suppose if you were forming a malitia, and thought you needed a lot of ammo at a crack, then by all means buy one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:15:57 AM EDT
.....that you Elmer?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:53:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21:
.....that you Elmer?

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:09:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bearybear:
Why would someone want one? Pretty hard to hunt with it. Not necessary at the range. I suppose if you were forming a malitia, and thought you needed a lot of ammo at a crack, then by all means buy one.

Are you taking talking points from democraps? Why would someone want a machine gun, or a silencer, or a mag that holds more than ten rounds? Only a criminal would want that, right? Why would someone want a corvettr? They are meant to go fast, which is illegal, right?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:16:57 AM EDT
While they're a lot of fun, they're (most) expensive too...
https://www.desertord.com/main/en/shop/browse?cid=2

I'd love to have a semi PKM. I may end up going with a 1919, they are one of the more "inexpensive" options along with the RPD.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2009 5:21:05 AM EDT by DCN1982]
Not saying they can't be fun or useful in some circumstances, but 99% of the time it's a novelty. But then again, we buy a lot of things we don't use 99% of the time in anticipation of that day the 1% comes to pass.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:38:45 AM EDT
CDI factor
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:30:01 AM EDT
I ended up with an M-60 channel and trunnion. I started looking at parts prices and the difficulty involved in building it into a semi. My hopes and dreams of building a M-60 were gone within 24hrs.. The cost of building or buying one is very prohibitive to most people. There are some guys that have built some for a resonable cost but most had access to machine tools.
http://gunco.net/forums/index.php
http://www.weaponeer.net/
http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:52:07 AM EDT
kinda pointless unless they're FA....just my opinion though

Aside from that....they're cool as hell and I'd love to get one just to learn how the belt fed action works....but I'm weird like that. When I was 8 I tore apart a lock just to see how it worked, and put it back together and it still works today....my parents don't know about that one
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:11:04 AM EDT
I like mine, M60 & MG42. Historic, fun toys that are intriguing in design and use. In the event the Nazi biker gang from Hell assaults your homestead they may come in handy.

<<<<< US Ord. M60E4
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:54:28 AM EDT
When parts kits were still importable with the barrel and ammo was relatively cheap, I almost pulled the trigger on a built-it-yourself 1919. Unfortunately, at the time my interest was building, so were the prices, and I decided to scratch the project as it was becoming cost prohibitive for me.

Besides cost, I think another reason they aren't more popular is that to really run 'em you need a forum like a machine gun shoot. The few ranges around town of which I'm aware would probably frown mightily on me running a belt through a 1919 with a crankfire adapter.

Not sure about other guns, but the 1919 looks doable for the average garage gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:39:08 PM EDT
I wish the VLTOR PKM semis were afforable, like you know a 2000 dollar gun vs a 6000 dollar gun, because a semi auto 7.62x54R that has more than 10 rounds at one time would be kick ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:28:29 AM EDT
They're considerably more complicated to build, usually require both expensive parts kits and expensive re-working for semi-auto, and the market for them is quite small.

That said, I got my M3HB because I saw the one opportunity to own the classic Browning design, I admired it deeply, and so went for it. Feeding it has proven prohibitive, though, but I still hope to one day have the money to be able to shoot it more often.

Most people don't realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to haul around a beltfed, either. They're considered crew-served weapons for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:35:11 AM EDT
They're pricy, the cheapest belt-fed kits available were the 1919A4s, and the cheapest I ever saw was $300 a few years back. Nowadays they're even pricier, and building one up makes an AK build look like a easy-to-build LEGO set in comparison. Coupled with the ammo prices soaring higher and higher with no end in sight, and well...if you weren't into it back then, you certainly ain't going into it now unless you're willing to spend a LOT of cash.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:13:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WesJanson:
They're considerably more complicated to build, usually require both expensive parts kits and expensive re-working for semi-auto, and the market for them is quite small.

That said, I got my M3HB because I saw the one opportunity to own the classic Browning design, I admired it deeply, and so went for it. Feeding it has proven prohibitive, though, but I still hope to one day have the money to be able to shoot it more often.

Most people don't realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to haul around a beltfed, either. They're considered crew-served weapons for a reason.

If you don't post pics your gun is a lot more likely to suffer a catastrophic failure. No lie.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:44:09 PM EDT
If I ever get $14K to blow on a semi auto belt gun - I'm going for this one.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:43:38 PM EDT
So, no one ever made a M60 or some 30 cal. belt feed replica in semi-auto???

A 30 or a 223 beltfeed would be a nice safe queen to snuggle to on cold nights. hehehe

<ducks> my wife just threw something at me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:18:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Crito:
So, no one ever made a M60 or some 30 cal. belt feed replica in semi-auto???

A 30 or a 223 beltfeed would be a nice safe queen to snuggle to on cold nights. hehehe

<ducks> my wife just threw something at me.

There are plenty of them. They're just pricy. A 1919 will set you back (checks Gunbroker) approximately $1000-1500. That's the cheapest option out there. The M60/240/SAW semi-auto copies will run close to $10k, if you can find one. M2HB/M3HBs tend to run around $8k or so. I believe the PKMs are around 5k, although recently Wise Lite/Century has been selling Yugo M53s in the $3k vicinity. If you want something other than a 1919, the Yugo is probably the best bet right now...a relatively inexpensive MG-42 copy.

If you don't post pics your gun is a lot more likely to suffer a catastrophic failure. No lie.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:24:50 PM EDT
I would like to get my hands on a HK21 semi-auto, but I do have an HK sear
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:41:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By patrickcudd:
Originally Posted By bearybear:

Are you taking talking points from democraps? Why would someone want a machine gun, or a silencer, or a mag that holds more than ten rounds? Only a criminal would want that, right? Why would someone want a corvettr? They are meant to go fast, which is illegal, right?

I don't think he (bearybear) meant it that way. His last sentence was, "I suppose if you were forming a malitia, and thought you needed a lot of ammo at a crack, then by all means buy one."
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:43:11 AM EDT
i want a RPD.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:12:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By legonas:
i want a RPD.

I want a PKM....or a belt fed shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:37:09 PM EDT
As was said already,a 1919 is the most affordable "entry" into the semi belt fed world,but these days you can't afford to shoot it,unless you stocked up years ago.
RPD's would be next at under 2k (pre-Osama prices)
M-53 Mg-42
PKM's
Then your big boys M2HB
The M-60's go for over 10 k anymore,as does the OOW M-240SLR,$13.5
The cool factor on a semi belt fed is 10+

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:20:40 PM EDT
Stoneycreekarmory.com has a semi M60 for sale for around $9k (or at least they did the other day)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:27:32 AM EDT
I put this semi together as a novelty, but it's fun at the local range steel plate shoots,

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:30:14 PM EDT
1919a4's are really easy to build and are not that expensive. A parts kit will run $400+, then $200 for machining including new trigger, add another $100 for side plate, and $20 for rivets. Then spend the afternoon putting it together. Look at 1919a4.com. Complete guns can be had for $1200+. I like mine.
Top Top