Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2012 5:56:49 PM EDT
Eagle MC-CIRAS, found for $269.00 but have not found the soft body armor to go in it. Ideas on where to find the armor. most places are selling it in the high $400's.

Eagle PIG, great reviews people seem to be happy no real downsides SKD has pretty much everything that is needed except the plates.

TAG Banshee, lots of good reviews, basically the same as the Eagle PIG.

Other than I have not found the soft armor for the MC-CIRAS, any of the standard sized plates should fit correct? sized accordingly large 10x12, XL 11x14 or what ever the actual sizes are.

The plans for this plate carrier are some carbine classes I want to take, and general shooting with the guys when out in the woods.

Other ideas or suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
well are you set on an armor carrier or a plate carrier?
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The Banshee and PIG both can take soft armor (plate backers).  There is proprietary-sized soft armor for each carrier, but your standard 10x12 plate backers will fit either just fine and won't swim around. I would recommend either of these.  If cost is an issue, get the Banshee. The Pig is well with it, though.

They will both hold SAPI / ESAPI plates, but Large size SAPI plates will be exposed on the corners at the bottom of the Banshee. Riggers tape will help protect them, so that's not too big of a problem.

The CIRAS takes BALCS cut soft armor, which is expensive but covers more surface area.  The CIRAS also restricts movement quite a bit, and will accept all standard cut plates as you suspected.  I prefer BALCS cut armor inside a low visibility carrier, like the Eagle LVAC.

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I was vastly confused earlier, I had googled "Plate carriers" when an armor carrier was also on the website I thought they were the same thing just a different name. Now did a search of plate vs. armor carrier, lots of different results, many lead right back to AR15.COM

It sounds more like a plate carrier is what I want/need. Used for some carbine classes so a controlled enviroment.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Plate Carrier:
Lighter
More movement

Armor Carrier:
better protection
heavier
less movement
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I could write a book on why you probably don't need a plate carrier.  For what you told us you'd use it for, try looking at chest rigs or battle belts.

You of course can choose for yourself, but you may find there are other options that can serve you better.

Now with that said, I use a TAG Banshee.  It serves me well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll piggy (pun intended) back on this, I currently have a fully loaded PIG in Coyote and MC, just got back from a 3 week AT with the guard and our BC did not like 25% or more people wearing coyote and MC. So I am looking for a reasonable ACU plate carrier so I don't have to wear the IBA...

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish it was that easy :)

1SG told us this weekend (5 of us in our company.. ACU.. said he doesn't care what we have as long as it is ACU so we don't look "different" when the BC is around...

The search is on....

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll piggy (pun intended) back on this, I currently have a fully loaded PIG in Coyote and MC, just got back from a 3 week AT with the guard and our BC did not like 25% or more people wearing coyote and MC. So I am looking for a reasonable ACU plate carrier so I don't have to wear the IBA...

Any suggestions?

I had this issue about 4 years ago too. Turned out to be somebody misheard the Commander talking about us looking like shit in 8 different camo colors/patterns and wanted us to choose one - they thought that meant "GET EVERYONE in ACU!" We ended up switching to Ranger green and had no issues. Ranger green also blends in better when you have to add ACU/UCP pouches.
If this is just a temporary thing - and I assume it is, just wear your issued stuff - that's the cheapest solution. Or just switch back to an ALICE setup and tell them that's all you got....... That'll put mud in their eyes.

SOS

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Mayflower APC is a good one to look into.

LBT 6094's are nice as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
a couple of posts up I stated I need ACU....

yeah the LBT can be had fro $350 Plus but not for a temporary solution as I pointed out..

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I take that back.. LBT cannot be had in ACU...

Quoted:
a couple of posts up I stated I need ACU....

yeah the LBT can be had fro $350 Plus but not for a temporary solution as I pointed out..

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
it looks like for ACU the

Tactical Tailor Releasable Armor Carrier (TTRAC)

Is my only option, since it's reduced in price for ACU it might be my "safe" way to go, anyone have any experience with this?

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a LMAC!   Really like the design and features

Blue Force Gear

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my PIG. You can't go wrong with it. I also like the Banshee if you don't need the bells and whistles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I have no qualms recommending the banshee. It really is a nice, comfortable, low budget carrier. In this case low budget doesn't mean "cheap quality".
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I know I may be the minority but...

I had to sell my PIG because my command forced me to stop using something other than ACU (National Guard) I really liked it, so I have had a hard time finding another PC in ACU, well I bought a clearance Tactical Tailor TTRAC and I really like it over my PIG, The PIG was a little smaller and I like a little more wrap around comfort... some thing I would change on it but hey nothing is perfect...

Just wish there was a "Walmart" style place to go and try all these on before buying... :)
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
yes.. you are correct, I will get a chance to try the TTRAC out more in a couple of weeks, all I have done is take it to my range and run around a bit... It's funny SKD should be the first response to this but....

You just posted on FB the BAE RBAV-AF.. I really like that "style" of carrier.. granted that is Armor (soft and plates) but the Eagle Assault Plate Carrier you have also is pretty sweet.. if that came in ACU I would be all over it (the Eagle Assault Plate Carrier)

The PIG for me (my opinion) the buckles up front sit to high and would at times (not always) create a annoying (not pain) hot spot... It was tons better than my IOTV and my IBA issue garbage...

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm in a very different time zone so surfing the forums is spotty, but if you still had the PIG PC, I would recommend the Double D ring attachment points. I use them on my strong side, but most of my buddies use them on both sides.

SOS

I was not knocking you on your response... but good point you make on the D ring attachments... but the PIG does not come in ACU so I was forced to stop using it ...sadly... CSM's are they really good for anything ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL
This is good, I bought testedone's Coyote PIG. LOL  This is my second PIG. Have one in MC already been running for a few years.
I have tried just about all of them. Mayflower, Eagle PC, Eagle APC, LBT 6094B, SOHPC, TTRAC, CIRAS (not a PC I know), BFG LMAC (like this one too, but sold for a second PIG)
Here are the main reasons I like the PIG.
- Split cumberbun flap. Pealing up the flap absolutely sucks in the field with 3 or 4 mags attached to it. Having to only pull up half makes a HUGE difference, trust me.
- Padded Shoulder straps built in. No aftermarket padds that slide, twist, or get bunched up. Especially when wearing a pack or seperate Chest rig over it.
- Ventilation channels on rear plate..... No need for further explanation.
- One size fits most. Adaptible to almost all Medium to XL plates.
- replacible Straps and buckles without modification.

I could go on.
I am a big fan of wearing a chest rig such as the New ESSTAC Builda-a-Boar Light, pictured below. There are and will be times when it is simply easier to be able to drop some of the weight while in the field but still maintain protection. As a 12B this is most important as 2 tours have shown me. I just simply do not like attaching anything (except and admin pouch to the sternum) to the PC. Mayflower has an excellent answer to this as well, but I am sticking with my PIG and ESSTAC stuff. They have never let me down.....................

cp out
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm... may be that's where I went wrong (attaching all my gear to the PC) when I was deployed I did not like that but I did it with the PIG... In all honesty though if it wasn't for my COC I would still be wearing the PIG, if they had it in ACU I would have bought one.... I think I have Schizophrenia when it comes to gear...
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#23]
When I was a young tadpole and actually gave a shit what the Commander thought, I would have done the same thing.
Play the game brother, Just play the Game............................
cp out
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

LOL

This is good, I bought testedone's Coyote PIG. LOL  This is my second PIG. Have one in MC already been running for a few years.

I have tried just about all of them. Mayflower, Eagle PC, Eagle APC, LBT 6094B, SOHPC, TTRAC, CIRAS (not a PC I know), BFG LMAC (like this one too, but sold for a second PIG)

- Split cumberbun flap. Pealing up the flap absolutely sucks in the field with 3 or 4 mags attached to it. Having to only pull up half makes a HUGE difference, trust me.

- Padded Shoulder straps built in. No aftermarket padds that slide, twist, or get bunched up. Especially when wearing a pack or seperate Chest rig over it.

I could go on.

I am a big fan of wearing a chest rig such as the New ESSTAC Builda-a-Boar Light, pictured below. There are and will be times when it is simply easier to be able to drop some of the weight while in the field but still maintain protection. As a 12B this is most important as 2 tours have shown me. I just simply do not like attaching anything (except and admin pouch to the sternum) to the PC. Mayflower has an excellent answer to this as well, but I am sticking with my PIG and ESSTAC stuff. They have never let me down.....................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/BABL16.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/BABL19.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/BABL17.jpg

cp out

wouldnt it help to move the weight/bulk of some of the pouches to the belt?  seems like it would help with arm movement and having the weight closer to your center of gravity cant be a bad thing...

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Just noticed you needed ACU.

PIG

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL Young tadpole.. I have been playing this game 17 years brother :)

Can't wait until I am the CSM thing are going to change HA!!

Quoted:
When I was a young tadpole and actually gave a shit what the Commander thought, I would have done the same thing.
cp out

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
cp out

Have you tried the issued KDH one. I know a lot of folks in the .mil dont like them, but I picked one up for my uses and comfort wise its probly one of my favorite PC's. The trick is just making sure it's sized right. If mine was in MC instead of ACU it would be perfect, but I ave a bunch of ACU stuff so it still works.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The ACU ones I have seen have some sort of strap system as a "cummerbund" which I don't like I like a one piece cummerbund... I will wait and see how this TTRAC works out for me and if it's a no go well then I will have to figure something out then...
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Hahaha I guess I made the ol' mistake of assuming...... CAll me Yound TP as well then LOL

Quoted:

Quoted:
cp out

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL

I could go on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/BABL16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/BABL19.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/ESSTAC/BABL17.jpg

cp out

wouldnt it help to move the weight/bulk of some of the pouches to the belt?  seems like it would help with arm movement and having the weight closer to your center of gravity cant be a bad thing...

Ummm , No. I am not a "Bat Belt" kind of guy. I have my Pistol, Double Esstac pistol/ Single M4 Belt mag pouch, a Low profile BFG Ten Speed pouch (incase I want to add a couple mags and a Small BFG mini Boo Boo first aid pouch and CAT. Thats it. I want minimal gear on my Belt. Its a "Gun Belt". I actually have moved to the First Spear Gun Belt without Molle. There system is even more stream lined.
As for the weight of my Chest rig. Doesn't bother me me in the least. I have transitioned to a X-type Harness to help balance it, instead of the X-Straps pictured. But either way, whether it be over the PIG or with No Armor, It just does not bother me in the least. If I need to go light whether to ride in a vehicle for Route Clearance, or negotiate an IED, or take a sh*t in the field, I just drop the chest rig and move out
Here is a pic of my latest Gun Belt. Dont have the CAT on it in this pic

cp out
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ACU ones I have seen have some sort of strap system as a "cummerbund" which I don't like I like a one piece cummerbund... I will wait and see how this TTRAC works out for me and if it's a no go well then I will have to figure something out then...

Yup, those are the KDH SPCS ones. The lack of a true cummerbund isnt really that big of a deal. The only real downside is the lack of molle real estate. However if your PC isnt sized right the side pates will hang down and rub on your hips. There is and add on cummerbund that was/is being experimented with (two actually I think). One just adds a 6x10 piece of soft armor in with a 7x8 plate pocket (like the ones already there) with a molle shell to replace the existing "cummerbund". The other is either an add on or a full PC replacement (not sure I've only see it in pics) that is a legit cummberbund very similar to a DBT style PC. However I have never seen either in ACU since the Army seems to be trying to get away from the UCP patern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top