Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 9/1/2010 5:57:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 5:58:34 AM EST by KeeblerElf]
ok so i live in a small town, less than about 4 miles to town hall and the rest of down town, we are outside of city limits. now my issue is that our address is 'technically' for the larger neighboring city, even though we're about 16 miles from downtown. my taxes go to the small town schools, roads, etc. zip code is for larger town. we even are serviced by the small town fire department should we need them. which cleo should i be having sign off on my forms?


eta more info
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:48:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 7:51:39 AM EST by Andrapos]
I would start with whichever police department shows up if you dial 911

ETA - hopefully you don't have to actually dial 911 to find out!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:17:05 PM EST
whoever has jurisdiction over your area, what county are you in? thats one of the form questions
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:46:32 PM EST
If you are outside of city limits, then the police chief doesnt have jurisdiction over your place of residence. I would start with the sheriff of your county
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:12:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 2:13:53 PM EST by ateamrob]
try em both.... whatever one signs first is good to go. If they dont have juristiction over your area they will tell you they dont and send you to the agency that does. I dont believe ATF would question it because there are so many small towns out there where state police or sherriffs dept control and they are in different towns.

my buddy lives in a little town called Guilford, VT. They do not have a police dept so he has the VT State police sign all his NFA stuff. ATF has never even questioned it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:45:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2010 7:46:38 AM EST by Andrapos]
Originally Posted By mike12345:
whoever has jurisdiction over your area, what county are you in? thats one of the form questions

I'm one of the lucky(?) people who lives in one county while a different county provides law enforcement (my town is the only one in our county with this blessing). It makes for interesting questions from FFLs while filling out Form 4s and 4473s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:59:55 PM EST
excellent, thanks for the responses...should i call and set up an appointment or how do folks do this?

Top Top