Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2002 3:02:35 AM EDT
i want to get an ar that would be held to the closest military standards. any ideas on which brand?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Pre ban COLT or Pre ban Bushmaster are PROBABLY the BEST "mil-spec" rifles on the market.Some others (fulton armory)are supposedly(sp) held to even tighter tolerances but they are post ban.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Closest AR-15 to mil-spec?

Colt AR-15 model 614. No doubt, hands down. Just lacking the M16A1 and US Property stamps. Otherwise identical.

About $6-7k for a good one.

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
In current post ban production at a reasonable cost you would spell those choices as Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
For a post-ban model, the Bushmaster is probably as close to mil-spec as any.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Well all M16A2, A3, A4 & M4 rifles have a 1:7 twist. So that pretty much eliminates Bushmaster as "milspec".
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I think Christopher was more concerned about the construction of the rifle than the twist rate. The way it is put together, what it is built from, the way you take it down, etc...that sort of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Troy,

I agree with you.  One thing I noticed though.  Guys (and girls!) from my department ordered 175 Colt MB6601C’s.  All of them have standard size fire control pins and front push pin.  HOWEVER, some have the metal-hinged trapdoor/latch, some have the all-plastic trapdoor, and ALL have the plastic buffer.  I couldn’t stand opening my rifle and looking at that gawdawful plastic buffer after years of seeing that greenish aluminum one.  It was immediately replaced !!

Edited to give credit to the women in my department that feel the need and satisfaction of having their own AR for patrol.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Amen, brother AR15 fan!
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
One additional thing about the Colt plastic buffer that makes it a P.I.T.A. !! There is a hole on the side of the buffer that is big enough to let the buffer retaining pin enter.  It takes about three hands and a screw driver to get it out once the pin goes in that hole!  he
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, if you're talking about the M16A2 than there is also the issue of the barrel.

Most 20" AR15's sold are HBAR's. The current 20" A2 rifles being used have a barrel that is a heavy barrel up front, and then necks down under the handguards.

A few manufacturers offer uppers in this configurations (referred to as Government Profile), including Bushmaster.

Also, if you look around you can find FN AR15 Government Profile uppers (FN has a contract with the military).

Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
There are no rifle currently made to mil-spec
only mil-spec rifles are Made, that is M16A1/A2 marked. Bushmaster's and colt's are the cloest to mil-spec has for finnishing! plus the bush and colt uses 4150 crome moly for barrels.
my opionion is don't drink and internet at the same time i can't spell worth shit.... 9 beer's
still counting...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top