Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2007 11:16:24 PM EDT
house down the street had a break in and now the wife wants a shot gun... no problem . i've never been into shotguns but have secretly wanted to build one myself. i've been diagnosed with brd, stage iii so naturally other builds have always gotten in the way.

anyway the fun show starts tomorrow and have little time to figure out what i want. i see that the remington 87o and mossberg 59x are the two best bets. so, i'll probably go with the 87o.

question is which model, i don't necessarily need anything special right off the bat but i'd like to have a decent base gun to start off a new build with and theres only about 3,ooo different variants of the 87o.

any suggestions?

thanks.

allan
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
for home defense, w/ your model already narrowed down to the Rem 870, i say it should be pretty easy

for ~$300, you can get the Remington 870 HD Magnum Express model; as is, it takes 2 3/4" or 3" shells, holds 6+1, has a 18.5" bbl, and is about as compact and smooth handling as any other SD/.HD shotty

my 870 HD:

the next option (definitly my choice if funds are not a problem) is the Remington 870P (Police) model
same as the HD, but w/ beefier parts and less rough; "base" models usually go ~$550+, more if you get diff style stock setups
there is a tacked thread up top comparing the 2 870 models

also, there are the 870 Express Magnums w/ the 20in bbls--basically, deer/hunting/slug guns; they are built about the same as the HD (vs the P), w/ the std 4rnd mag length and you can find em for ~$250 or so
FWIW: i just picked up a used model as above for $200...bluing is a little rough, but w/ a Speedfeed I stock, sidesaddle, clamp on tac light, and 3rnd Choate mag extension, imp smooth bbl and rifle sights, it can hold its own pretty well imo

a nice surefire forend w/ tac light, sidesaddle are about a must for a HD shotty imo; i also prefer speedfeeds and knoxx stocks

good luck

PS: training (even range time) is needed

just my .02cents...i'm a rough newbie myself w/ shotguns
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]
any idea why there is no mention of the hd express on remington's site?

what do you folks think about the xcs marine magnum

ap
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a Mossberg 500 Persuader for 229 at local gunshop. It has a 20 inch barrel and its 7+1. Personally, I dont think you can beat it.

eta: grammar
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
well, we just got back maybe ten 87o's in the place and nothing under $5oo. each one had airsoft crap hanging all over it.

guess i'll have to hit up walmart

allan
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
any idea why there is no mention of the hd express on remington's site?

what do you folks think about the xcs marine magnum

www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/smsil_870xcs.jpg

ap

Everyone calls it somethig differnt, there was a "HD" name, but it is the on the link you posted, 2nd gun down express synth 7 round

Right here

And depending on the shot you can find they on sale for as cheap as 250 a few times a year.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
house down the street had a break in and now the wife wants a shot gun... no problem . i've never been into shotguns

Now no one has ask, Has your wife shoot shotgun before?
How well would she handle a 12 ga?
I have seen young teens(125 lbs) shot a 12 ga with no problem.
Because they want to shoot it.
The push, not knick, does not bother them.
Because they want to shoot it.
So do what you will, but a 20ga she likes to shot!
Is better then a tricked out 12 ga she won't shot or practice with!
Yes! Everyone needs to practice.
That's my $0.02.
Good Luck!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Now no one has ask, Has your wife shoot shotgun before? yeah, but before i came back around

How well would she handled a 12 ga? she said she handled it pretty well, and enjoyed it.

she's the little, fragile type so i was thinking the same thing but she said she'd shot 'em before. so what the hell, 12 ga. it is.

i did a little investigating and found out it was a fn police she'd been shooting.

allan

I have always said: Size should not matter, when shooting shotgun.
It is the desire that counts.
Never notice the push of the shotgun when I first started hunting.
Nor when I shot tactical matches.
Good Luck to you both.
Correct practice makes good practice!

PITA45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top