Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/17/2002 6:45:38 AM EDT
Hi all,

I saw another post that showed all pics of 1911s. They are all great looking guns. I was wondering what is the fascination with the 1911? Is there history behind it and are they accurate? It looks like there are many different grades of them. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great and it is just my curiosity about the gun.

Thanks
Lojack
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:09:38 AM EDT
Is there history behind it? What planet are you from?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:11:38 AM EDT
yes there is a long and great history, yes they can be very accurate.
The big factor is they will never let you down. Any of the colts and almost any of the clones just don't fail. Keep it simple priciple to survival....pat
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:20:02 AM EDT
Hello Lojack,

Check out this link for info on the 1911:

www.m1911.org/history.htm

And please ignore the manners of some of the wiser asses on this site
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:20:56 AM EDT
the 1911/1911a1 was designed by the great john moses browning, and was accepted by the us army in guess when, 1911. it served faithfully thru ww1, ww2, korea and vietnam, and was only superseeded in the late 80s or early 90s by the 9mm beretta.

the army accepted it because of it's stopping power(.45acp), high (for the day) capacity and reliability, and there are many who still think the beretta should be ditched and the 1911 be reinstated.

it's a fine weapon, and you couldnt go wrong carrying one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:00:30 AM EDT
Plenty of 1911's need lots of smithing, for reliability,accuracy, and ease of handling (fast) that having been said, with proper ammo, and a good, smithed example, there is nothing that even comes close to matching the 1911 as a combo of contolable power, accuracy and reliability. I recommend that you practice with a combat commander steell frame, and carry an alloy compact, with the 1" longer Commander barrel, a muzzle wt around that extra inch of barrel, chambered for the .40 Super, 10 Mag, .45 Super, or the .460 Rowland, using a 70 gr prefrag, at 2400 fps, That load gives 45 ball type recoil, and the same sort of 900+ ft lbs of destruction that a 223 softpoint does, when the 223 is fired from a rifle. Practically every match that it is allowed to enter is won by some version of the 1911. When the best shottists alive nearly all favor a certain gun type for speed work, there is a reason for it. The trigger pull, sights, and general ergonomics of the 1911 have no peer, much less a superior.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:03:28 AM EDT
I'm one that believes they should reinstate the 1911 back in the military. Sorry but I don't believe the 9MM is the round of choice in combat. The 1911 can carry 14 rounds in it's wide body configuration so capacity is no issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:07:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2002 9:14:26 AM EDT by AR_in_the_woods]
Hey Jett3,
Where does one find a 70gr prefrag .45 caliber bullet?

Are you talking about the 68 gr MagSafe .45 Swat Loads?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:08:43 AM EDT
Some of the features making the M1911 attractive are:

Chambered for the 45ACP cartridge. 230 gr at around 850 fps. This round was superior to others in use at the time.

Single stack mag allows for fairly slim grip, considering the size of the cartridge.

Easily field stripped, no tools required (except for target models with tighter tolerances).

Reliable in the field. Battle proven design used even to this day.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:10:00 AM EDT
As my uncle (WW II vet) has stated on many occasions, "No matter where I hit-em, they all fell down". Some of those he hit were hit in the arm and according to him even the ones that weren't killed, were knocked down.

Good enough for me.
Mike
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:17:00 AM EDT
The .45 ACP round was purpose-designed to put a man down hard and fast.

During the Phillipine Insurrection, the .30 Krag and .38 revolver rounds were going through and through the doped up and tournequited Moro tribesmen and not having any effect on their massed charges. A call for help went out to the Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia. The result was the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge and the M1911 pistol redesigned by John Moses Browning for it.
[/wiping away a tear]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 9:54:31 AM EDT
Is there history behind the 1911? Yes indeed! Here's a brief timeline of the major events:

740 BC - While fleeing the Mongol destruction of Jerusalem, John Moses Browning receives the inspiration for the 1911 in a dream from the angel Gabriel. The next day, he builds a working prototype and uses it to slay a marauding leviathan.

740-510 BC - Browning and his tribe, the Cooperites, use their 1911 pistols to blaze a path of glory across Egypt, Antarctica, South America, and the Numidian kingdom in what would later become Mexico. All of their enemies succumb to no more than seven rounds of well-placed .45 hardball. The Cooperites finally settle down as cliff-dwellers in the American southwest.

507 BC - At the age of 263, J.M. Browning ascends to heaven. The Cooperites alter his design with an extended slide release lever and are quickly destroyed by a pack of javelinas.

1846 AD - After being lost for centuries, the 1911 is re-discovered by a group of Texans digging a barbecue pit. They keep this "new" super weapon a closely-guarded secret.

1851 - At the battle of Texarkana, seven Texans armed with 1911s destroy a Yankee army of 43,000 troops sent to hassle them. The defeat is so devastating that the North postpones its invasion of the Confederacy for another ten years.

1878 - American troops under Gen. William "T" Sherman resort to the 1911 to stop the fanatical Moro warriors in Peru. The 1911 turns the tide of battle but is withdrawn from service when the Red Cross complains that the devastating impact of .45 hardball makes remains too hard to identify.

1908 - The 1911 returns as American troops invade Spain during the Spanish-American war. The Spanish leader, El Greco, soon sees the folly of his ways and surrenders. The Spanish territory of New Mexico becomes the 33rd state.

1955 - Immediately after WWII, the US Army tries to phase out the 1911 to de-escelate the growing Cold War. When the dirty Reds respond by fluoridating America's water supply, the 1911 makes a quick return.

1988 - Despite Ronald Reagan's deathbed request to "Keep Ol' Slabsides for the Gipper!", Pentagon bureaucrats plan to replace it with a 9mm pistol. The new pistol will supposedly help American troops learn the metric system.

1991 - The day of infamy finally arrives. In order to secure Italy's assistance in the war against Saddam Hussein, Clinton orders the army to abandon the 1911 and use the 9mm Beretta instead. The folly of this move soon becomes apparent when American forces, unable to stop Iraqi camels with the wimpy 9mm, have to halt their advance at the gates of Tehran.

2001 - An international conference of small arms experts nearly comes to blows over a disagreement whether the 1911 is "totally awesome" or simply "perfect". Only a handful of squinty-eyed curmudgeons are ever allowed to read their final report.

So, there you have it. Knowing all this, would you really want any other pistol?

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:16:02 AM EDT
even with the 1911a1 having a higher capacity in its wide body mag i think the military should use hk usp's maybe even the mk 23's!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:22:53 AM EDT
Renamed, that is friggin' hilarious. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:30:17 AM EDT
That makes John Moses Browning 2,771 years old today.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 10:35:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By garandman:

Is that harder to believe than Methuselah?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:29:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

Originally Posted By garandman:

Is that harder to believe than Methuselah?

He was Browning's great great great uncle, I think.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:31:52 AM EDT
That would explain it!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:32:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Renamed:
... When the dirty Reds respond by fluoridating America's water supply...

Some of you may recall this is also what started all the trouble in the movie "Dr. Strangelove"
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:35:16 AM EDT
Don't wait. Run out right now and buy one (or more)!

The first handgun I ever purchased was an issue M1911A1. It's one of the few handguns that I haven't sold or traded for other weapons.

1911's have a great - almost fanatical - following, and with good reason.

Check them out, they're wonderful.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:31:48 PM EDT
I am definitely a borderline 1911 fanatic. If you get me drunk and then tell me that the handgun WASN'T perfected with the M1911A1 in 1924, expect to have to defend yourself from a hail of uncoordinated punches. If I did that sober then I'd be a certified fanatic, but as it is I need at least three beers first.

I've shot tons of rounds out more than a dozen different handgun designs, and the one that works best for me is my stock Colt M1991A1. It's accurate, has a great trigger, conceals well, feels terrific, and is more reliable than death and taxes. Plus it's sexy as hell. If I could I'd go to the big dance with it, but for legal reasons I asked a girl instead.

Those who shoot my pistol are addicted after a few rounds (except for my mom - it's a bit much for her) and want more. Of course not everybody shoots it well. The 1911 is not a perfect gun for everyone, but it happens to be for me!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:51:25 PM EDT

507 BC - At the age of 263, J.M. Browning ascends to heaven.

Please...everyone bow their heads in honor of John Moses Browning. A moment of silence in this solemn occasion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:06:09 PM EDT
I fired 9mm s for years and would go near a .45 ACP 1911 because of their early reputation for inherent inaccuacy. However, 3 years ago I bought a Kimber Compact and my shooting life changed for ever. I'm a complete convert. I only keep my 9mm so that my wife can use it for home defense and for collection reasons. With an accurate 1911, why would you want something else? There's something to be said about sub 3" groups at 25 yards and almost .50 caliber size holes appearing in your target. I'm now starting to dabble in Wilson .45s, but have to save all of my pennies, so I can afford one of these beasts!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:18:51 PM EDT

1955 - When the dirty Reds respond by fluoridating America's water supply, the 1911 makes a quick return.

Mandrake, do you ever wonder why I only drink distilled water or rainwater and pure grain alcohol?

Great post. LOL. The 1911 is out there every day, ensuring the purity of our precious bodily fluids.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:29:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lojack22172:
Hi all,

I saw another post that showed all pics of 1911s. They are all great looking guns. I was wondering what is the fascination with the 1911? Is there history behind it and are they accurate? It looks like there are many different grades of them. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great and it is just my curiosity about the gun.

Thanks
Lojack

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit! Didn't I see you fall off a turnip truck?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:32:16 PM EDT
Gunkid... gunkid, is that you?

Originally Posted By jett3:
Plenty of 1911's need lots of smithing, for reliability,accuracy, and ease of handling (fast) that having been said, with proper ammo, and a good, smithed example, there is nothing that even comes close to matching the 1911 as a combo of contolable power, accuracy and reliability. I recommend that you practice with a combat commander steell frame, and carry an alloy compact, with the 1" longer Commander barrel, a muzzle wt around that extra inch of barrel, chambered for the .40 Super, 10 Mag, .45 Super, or the .460 Rowland, using a 70 gr prefrag, at 2400 fps, That load gives 45 ball type recoil, and the same sort of 900+ ft lbs of destruction that a 223 softpoint does, when the 223 is fired from a rifle. Practically every match that it is allowed to enter is won by some version of the 1911. When the best shottists alive nearly all favor a certain gun type for speed work, there is a reason for it. The trigger pull, sights, and general ergonomics of the 1911 have no peer, much less a superior.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:46:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By b0ne:
Gunkid... gunkid, is that you?

Nice shot! VERY NICE SHOT!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:53:28 AM EDT
www.sightm1911.com

This site has history and other cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:34:37 PM EDT
Took my co-worker, his girlfriend, and my wife shooting on Monday night...none of them had ever fired a pistol (which is sad, as I've been married to my wife for almost 8 years). We started all of them off on 4" .357 revolvers with .38 rounds to get the basics down.

Then I converted over to my Les Baer .45 for my co-worker...he LOVED it. Then his girlfriend and my wife were shooting my dad's 1911, and they loved it.

Now my co-worker is not only being "turned-on" to shooting, but all he could talk about on Tuesday was buying a 1911.

YES! Three more converts to shooting and a long tradition of the finest auto pistol design in history!

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:37:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By marvl:
wiser asses

He he...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:46:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2002 3:47:33 PM EDT by Derek45]
A properly set up 1911 is the worlds best combination of speed power and accuracy.
Look at what's dominated IPSC all these years.

these days more than ever, there are a lot of great pistol designs, Glock, for example, but the 1911 has a excellent grip angle, great trigger, perfect thumb safety, like the AR15 it just feels right, everything is in the right place.

It also hits with a resounding THUD ! !

Top Top