Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/28/2004 11:04:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 11:04:45 AM EST by Paul]
I got my CMP garand yesterday and managed to F up my thumb already

that hurt like a bitch!

As I remember the bolt was back I went to push down the mag with my thumb, why did the bolt go forward that time???
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:45:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 7:45:33 AM EST by garandman]
The mechanism that pushes down with the insertion of the clip ALSO is a bolt release.

Welcome to the club. Your initiation occurred early

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:46:36 AM EST
It happens when people try to load a Garand and they don't do it the right way!

It will leave a mark!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:47:17 AM EST
damn, that bolt really messed up my thumb, my nail is completely black and the whole thumb it all bruised up.

Do I get a purple heart??
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:48:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
damn, that bolt really messed up my thumb, my nail is completely black and the whole thumb it all bruised up.

Get the same medic Kerry had.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:52:02 AM EST
It would be advantageous to drain the hematoma from under that nail.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:03:30 AM EST
Remember, always block the charging handle with your hand until you get your thumb out of the way. I'm so glad I learned this before I got my Garand. Mr. Right Thumb is still free of injury.

Then again, the bolt on mine needs a good slap in either direction before it'll close anyway, but still...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:30:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kaliburz:

Happens to everyone...... well..... mostly everyone....

I've had mine 3 years and 900 rounds, hasn't happened yet.
But I read the book.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:33:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
If you load it right, there is no way you can chamber your thumb and a round. The rifle will perfer to chamber the round.

Playing with an empty weapon is the easiest way to bork your thumb. Don't try D&C with an M-1 if you don't know what you are doing.

That's the honest truth.

Insert the clip and the bolt won't go home until YOU release your downward pressure.

Messing around with an empty rifle when you DON'T have the bolt properly locked back is the easiest way to get one of these:

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:34:28 AM EST

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:48:06 AM EST

You haven't been paying attention, self inflicted wounds don't(aren't supposed to) count. Ask the Swift Vets, they'll tell you all about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:51:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 10:51:45 AM EST by DK-Prof]
Ah - the Garand thumb ... brings back memories

I remember the occasional recruit would get them - usually the ones who didn't listen well!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:59:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By drjarhead:

One way to do it, btw, is to heat up a needle white-hot in a flame to sterilize it, let it air-cool for a few, then punch a hole in your nail.

I would only do this if there was a LOT of blood under the nail though, causing a lot of pain.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:07:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:08:19 AM EST
This is covered IN DEPTH in the manual they send along with the rifle.

I've done this to myself, never w/ a M1, but with a 1911 and I felt stupid enough looking at that pistol dangling from my index finger that I feel I may have actually taken in an important lesson about the workings of a semi-automatic firearm. Learning is fun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:09:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
Remember, always block the charging handle with your hand until you get your thumb out of the way. I'm so glad I learned this before I got my Garand. Mr. Right Thumb is still free of injury.

Then again, the bolt on mine needs a good slap in either direction before it'll close anyway, but still...

Yep, exert rearward pressure on the Op Rod with right hand as you push your thumb down on the bullet follower...As you exert this rearward pressure and press your thumb down on the follower, you will hear a click - and you will notice that the Op Rod (and the bolt) want to move forward. This is when you lift your thumb up and away, and then you can allow the bolt to close
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:16:15 AM EST
Why would you want to shoot cheap ammo in your Garand?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:31:02 AM EST
Yep... luckily I've never suffered it... I learned the trick before I got my first M1...

Load with your right hand along the receiver, your thumb pointing down the axis of the bore. The edge of your hand should be against the op rod handle. Push the clip home, and catch the handle with the edge of your hand. Then rotate your whole hand upwards. With your thumb rigid, this will get your thumb out of the way. Follow up with a tap on the back side of the op rod handle to be sure to close on that first round, and voila, you're ready to rock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:33:25 AM EST

Happens to everyone...... well..... mostly everyone....

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:13:31 AM EST
by the way how do these garands shoot? anyway it could out shoot my M1A??

I am thinking of shooting in one of those CMP matches just for fun.

Now who has the cheap ammo?

and what kind of bayonet do I need to put on it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:15:06 AM EST
I usually just chamber the thumb, shoot it out....and hope for the X-ring.

MT
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:57:34 PM EST
Luckily, my father showed me the right way to do it before I had a chance smack my thumb. He then started reliving his army days, and showed me the proper way to bayonet the enemy, etc... I had to almost wrestly the rifle away from him!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:44:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:47:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Chuck:
Phil and Heavy Metal understand the M1.

I got my understanding the old fashioned way, I EARNED IT!.

That's my picture of my thumb.

Notice it's my left thumb that tells you right there I got it from messing around. The bolt was back but not far enough back to be firmly locked back, I was putting an empty clip in so I could should a sexy red headed lass how the empty clips eject and WHAM!

It's tough to look macho when a Garand has you by the thumb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:10:12 PM EST
If the bolt is held back by the follower instead of the oprod catch, all you have to do is tickle the follower and you will have the M1 attached to your finger.

I heard about "M1 Thumb" long before I ever laid eyes on an M1, so when we were shown how to avoid it, I was front and center and taking notes!

Catching your thumb with a fully loaded clip is difficult, but when closing the bolt on an empty chamber with a partially loaded clip, be careful. Same goes for topping up a clip already locked in.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:40:39 PM EST
I hear that it`s a lot easier to get 'M1 thumb' if you`re a lefty. What would be the correct way for a lefty to load the M1?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:53:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By jblachly:

One way to do it, btw, is to heat up a needle white-hot in a flame to sterilize it, let it air-cool for a few, then punch a hole in your nail.

I would only do this if there was a LOT of blood under the nail though, causing a lot of pain.

1/16" drill bit turned by hand does a quicker number making the pressure relief hole. Helps to drill the hole right after the thumb starts pulsing, since the blood will coagulate in a few hours.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:59:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dano523:

Originally Posted By jblachly:

1/16" drill bit turned by hand does a quicker number making the pressure relief hole. Helps to drill the hole right after the thumb starts pulsing, since the blood will coagulate in a few hours.

Sweet Jesus, you fuckers are creeping me out.

I hate fingernail injuries. They always seem to hurt worse than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:00:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:07:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:12:21 PM EST

<---Has yet to get M1 thumb, after having his Garand for 2 weeks.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:14:44 PM EST
Not to try to hijack the thread, but you need to watch out for the AK bolt too, like when you lock the bolt back and begin monkey-fingering the innards and the bolt that you thought was locked back slams forward and slices off the end of your thumb......

because as we all know (now) the AK doesn't have a bolt stop.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:54:06 PM EST
Has anybody tried the HOLBROOK Device?
www.dgrguns.com/0-main-page-accessories.htm
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:21:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:25:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:28:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Chuck:
OK, found the reference:

For the timid:

To disable automatic bolt close on clip insertion remove the accellerator, the little wobbly part pinned inside the op rod latch . Drive the pin out and save it and the accellerator for when you change your mind later.

Once the accellerator is removed the rifle is loaded by locking a full clip in the magazine, then manually retracting and releasing the bolt handle -- just like the M14.

To close the bolt on an empty magazine depress the follower with your thumb while you ease the op rod back to disengage the latch, then ease the op rod and bolt forward.

-- Chuck

Bah, that sucks! I tried it just for grins, and when you put a clip in the rifle, it won't lock into place (at least on mine). WTH?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:17:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:26:49 AM EST
That funny. I got my M1 thumb last night, yes left hand from screwing around with it not loading a clip in it. I guess I'm lucky my nail spilt where the bolt hit is so I won't have to go drilling any holes in my already sore as hell finger nail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:49:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
If you load it right, there is no way you can chamber your thumb and a round. The rifle will perfer to chamber the round.

Playing with an empty weapon is the easiest way to bork your thumb. Don't try D&C with an M-1 if you don't know what you are doing.

That's the honest truth.

Insert the clip and the bolt won't go home until YOU release your downward pressure.

Messing around with an empty rifle when you DON'T have the bolt properly locked back is the easiest way to get one of these:

pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL77/858902/2194228/32020212.jpg

ROFLMAO,

Oh hell, that has to hurt, Sorry, but I just cant stop laughing......I feel your pain, really I do,
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:54:16 PM EST
You can tell a military buff when you see the Garand Thumb and 1911 Thumb Web.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:59:48 PM EST
Man do not do that, it hurts.
Top Top