Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2007 6:50:05 AM EDT
well stupid me. i thinkt he last time i shot my mosin nagant i failed to clean it after shooting corrosive ammo. the barrel is so dam rusted i have no clue what to do, other than clean the hell out of it. any ideas on how to easily remove it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean it.  Shoot it.  Clean it some more.  You may be surprised if the rush hasn't been sitting there too long.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Clean it really good, then post it for sale in the C&R section of the EE.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Clean it really good, then post it for sale in the C&R section of the EE.

ill sell you the rust that came out of it lol

as soon as i pushed the bore brush down the barrel i had a nice little pyramid of rust. i filled the barrel with kroil and im going to let it sit for a few days. gun shop isnt open on sunday or monday so ill have to make it with what i got for now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It will probably turn out OK.  I bought a T53 Mosin from Omega ($35) and the bore was really rusted.  Got a small pile of rust out of the bore on the first pass with a bronze brush also.  Gave it a few passes with Rusty Duck patches followed with some Butch's Bore shine
followed with CLP.  Fired a few rounds through it and repeated the cleaning process.  It cleaned up way better than I expected.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I messed up a mint Hungarian M44 that way. The Barnaul ammo I bought for it was marked non-corrosive and I believed them, only running a boresnake through it after shooting. It went into storage when I moved out of my apartment and six months later I pulled it out and found severe rusting. The barrel is now deeply pitted, especially near the chamber. I do need to take it out and shoot it again to see how bad it affected the accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
im gonna have to do the same. might have to come up with another $80 to get another one and keep this one just to shoot corrosive ammo. i had plans for this rifle, i was going to put a scope on it but with all that rust in the barrel i dont think it will be worth it
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#7]
well its definantly pitted. i scrubbed the hell out of that thing. oh well, just another excuse to get another one
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Try some Bore Blaster foaming cleaner.  I used it on a very rusty yugo sks I had.  I soaked if for a week using Hoppes while scrubbing every  day, wouldnt touch the rust.  Used bore blaster overnight, cleaned it , shot it, cleaned it with hoppes, barrel looked like almost new.  I was reluctant to try this stuff as I am a die hard Hoppes fan, but it seemed to do the trick.

Turk
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
WHY DEAR GOD did they not chrome line the barrels??????
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try some Bore Blaster foaming cleaner.  I used it on a very rusty yugo sks I had.  I soaked if for a week using Hoppes while scrubbing every  day, wouldnt touch the rust.  Used bore blaster overnight, cleaned it , shot it, cleaned it with hoppes, barrel looked like almost new.  I was reluctant to try this stuff as I am a die hard Hoppes fan, but it seemed to do the trick.

Turk

thanks ill have to give it a shot. im going to the gun shop toomorow to try and find some ammo hopefully he will have that too
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an m-1 carbine with a very pitted bore and it will still shoot a can @ 100 yds with iron sights. Dont worry if accuracy isnt affected.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#12]
thats all im worried about is the accuracy, i had planned on putting a scope on it but im not so sure now. i bought 3 boxes of ammo to shoot through it. i paid $21.75 too bad its corrosive (too expensive?). ill have to go back to cleaning with amonia because my mauser is looking spotless
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just going to post about the same topic.  The barrel on my M38 is rusted to hell.  I cleaned it after shooting it last, but apparantly not good enough.  I need to get some ballistol.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
well i wore my bore brush out trying to get the rust out. if i can find that bore blaster i will try that. anybody know where i can get it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
if i can find that bore blaster i will try that. anybody know where i can get it?

I had a can that came with my Hoppes cleaning kit from Gander Mtn.

Should be at the bigger sporting goods stores.  (Dick's, Gander, Bass Pro...)
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#16]
mmmm an excuse to go to bass pro
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
mmmm an excuse to go to bass pro

There is never a good reason to go to BP.  After several bad customer relation issues with them I will never shop there again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top