Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 5:21:48 AM EDT
In the game Delta Force: Land warrior theres a weapon called "OICW" is it a made up weapon or does it actually exist? What does it stand for?
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Objective Individual Combat Weapon
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 5:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Try going to this website and checking it out.

www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/military/fwframeset.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The OICW is the US Mil's latest attempt to field a Buck Rogers do-everything rifle, & the system's weight - about 17 lbs unloaded - shows it. Its combination grenade launcher w/ an underslung carbine is the reverse of the M4/M203 combo (a carbine w/ an underslung grenade launcher). In this case, the grenade launcher, & not the gun, is the primary system (Caveat emptor: the gun can be detached & used independantly of the launcher).

It's basically a G36C overslung w/a sophisticated target acquisition device, firing specially chipped 20mm burst rounds that are instantaneously programmed by the targeting device in real-time to detonate correctly on target for max effect. It is touted as another troop tool to supplement to the std. M4 - not a replacement for it. However, in the final analysis, it'll probably end up being just another expensive & excessively complicated (The operation manual alone is roughly 1" thick) DOD pork bbl. project.

Edited for punctuation, grammer, & to concur w/ others regarding the 10" bbl. & bayonet mounting. The snowboard feature might come in useful in snow-bound environments, allowing the operator to make a hasty retreat after s/he is exhausted from carrying it, running out of HE clips for the same reason. Maybe the bayonet is an admission to the system's inevitable failure; better to ready the operator for the inevitable CQB. Of course, it'll be interesting to witness its actual use in close-up, melee combat.

I'll keep my M4, thankyou.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
with all these complex electronics and the reliance on it I wonder what would the said troop do if the battery fails? Or if the enemy knows our reliance on electronics and uses some kind of EMP weapon to disable all of it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Computer controlled 20mm grenade fusing, laser range finder, and integrated multi-spectral scope and they still want to hang a bayonet on that thing?!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Computer controlled 20mm grenade fusing, laser range finder, and integrated multi-spectral scope and they still want to hang a bayonet on that thing?!

Hey man, dont u dare question the integrity of the bayonet. No guns complete without one...
Hmm, i wonder if i can make a custom rig for the glock rail so that i can attach a bayonet to the pistol...=D
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, they had to stick something useful on there.

BTW: I'ma n HK fan/owner, but the OICW IMO is junk. The weight wouldn't kill me, it's no more than an m60 or psg-1, but have you seen pictures of a actual man holding it? It looks like trying to hold a huge box! Besides, how many technogadgets do you want to have fail on you? I don't think the bayonet will fail, I wouldn't trust the rest of it.

-Justin
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess there goes the survivibility of combat, I mean it would be harder to kill someone with what amounts to a big box (That Delta force game makes it feel as if you are holding a knife) than if I were to kill alot of soldiers with OICW's using a light weight AK-47's... that never fails. Maybe its deadly in trained hands (but all guns are deadly in trained hands)
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's basically a G36C overslung w/a sophisticated target acquisition device, firing specially chipped 20mm burst rounds that are instantaneously programmed by the targeting device in real-time to detonate correctly on target for max effect. It is touted as another troop tool to supplement to the std. M4 - not a replacement for it, but in the final analysis, it'll probably end up being just another expensive & excessively complicated (The operation manual alone is roughly 1" thick) DOD pork bbl. project.

Yeah, you get to play with this gun in Soldier of Fortune 2. If it's anything like the real thing though it's a pain to use.

One big red flag is the 10 inch barrel for the assault rifle itself. I mean that's less than the late 1960s CAR-15 barrel, surely you're not going to get any sort of fragmentation beyond 50 yards with this thing? At which point the 5.56x56mm round is pretty worthless.

Also, 2 round burst is the best this thing can do? Can somebody tell me how effective this weapon will be putting two non-fragmenting 22 caliber holes into someone's torso? Unless the the 20mm gets alot more use I see this as a huge step backward in combat effectiveness.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If you really want to see the core part of the computer system the us army is testing now, go to www.xybernaut.com

The company was started from an old XEROX bigwig, and has many "in's" with the gov't contracters.  

They have a wearable computer which is the basis for the land warrior system, including the eye piece, and real time data sharing.  

It's pretty cool, as long as I ain't the one to have to carry it.

I think this will be incorporated in the next 10 years or so.

WL

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]

They have a wearable computer which is the basis for the land warrior system, including the eye piece, and real time data sharing.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Only this time, the grenade launcher, & not the gun, is the primary system

And it only holds six rounds!  Extra mags are large and heavy.  I the guys carrying one of these don't encounter too many enemies.z
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
While the OICW is the Army's newest wizbang thing, who is going to work on that thing?  It would end up like the M1A1 tank, a weapon followed by a long train of gov't contractors needed to fix the thing.

Plus, has anyone who has seen grunts in action doubt that they would break it in a heartbeat.  I mean, I've had M240G's come back with the buttstock broken off. How did that happen?

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Lookit the size of that thing, it looks like he's shouldering a snowboard.

You know in the game, you kill a guy in one shot using OICW and you hit in the stomach... maybe its because its in the easy difficulty, maybe in the hard difficulty a headshot wont even kill a guy...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Notice how you never see photo's of a grunt firing prone or IMTing with it?
AIRBORNE!!

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
A 10 inch 5.56 barrel is so useless as to be laughable.

The 20mm rotation controlled projectiles are a great idea though.  They should just replace the various grenade launchers with a more portable version of that and given them to designated grenadiers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A 10 inch 5.56 barrel is so useless as to be laughable.

The 20mm rotation controlled projectiles are a great idea though.  They should just replace the various grenade launchers with a more portable version of that and given them to designated grenadiers.

Or, maybe, create an evolution of the M203 that incorporates the newer 20mm HE round. A man-mounted CPU would interface w/the launcher, slung under an M4, & would be ranged by a weapon or eye-piece sighting system. In the event of system failure, the grenades would be imbedded w/a default detonation range to ensure/maintain field useability.

It'd probably be a hell of a lot cheaper, too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The OICW is H&K's newest attempt at an over-priced, over-engineered, and over-rated ploy to sqeeze money from militaries and LE agencies.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Seventeen pounds and $10,000 and it's still toted around with a fifty-cent sling.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:02:44 AM EDT
[#21]
That is a whole lotta Bulk to run, jump, crawl, hide, drag around.  I guess it could double as a shield!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I am all for the smart 20mm gernade, but the problem is that the rifle would be useless. I mean even the M-4 with a 14.5 inch barrel has velocity problems. A 10 inch barrel and 5.56mm would just be a really loud .22. They say that the system is going to be smaller and lighter in the production version, but it come to the space issue, how do you fit two actiosn, a computer, and two 16-20 inch barrels in a package the size of an M-16?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you really want to see the core part of the computer system the us army is testing now, go to www.xybernaut.com

The company was started from an old XEROX bigwig, and has many "in's" with the gov't contracters.  

It's pretty cool, as long as I ain't the one to have to carry it.

I think this will be incorporated in the next 10 years or so.

WL

This is a could be a hot company. I watched them for a couple of years then bought some stock. The stock is at the lowest price i have seen in a while. If you are looking for a deal this could be one .
This stock seems very under vauled. Of course i say that cause i first bought it when it was $10.00 a share and it closed yesterday at a figging $1.00
I have taken a bath on it but i am holding it. I have bought some more cause either I am a big winner or a bigger loser. I hate to be half ass

If you understand computers the web site is worth a check  
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The OICW is H&K's newest attempt at an over-priced, over-engineered, and over-rated ploy to sqeeze money from militaries and LE agencies.

I've been following this project for a few years now and HK was actually a late player in the system.  Alliant Techsystems (ATK) is the lead company in this project.  They do a lot of defense work including major munitions and precision fuzing and guidance systems from hand grenades to arty shells and missiles.  They also own Blount (Speer, CCI, Federal, RCBS, etc.) and run the Lake City plant.   The 20mm is their baby and is the heart of the weapon system.

The whole premise is that being able to engage targets in defilade with the 20mm enables the system to produce more casualties with fewer rounds fired.  The 5.56mm carbine is strictly a back up system for close combat.  The eventual development of a ruggedized HUD for the helmet will enable the soldiers to expose the weapon barrel and sight to sight and fire while the shooter remains fully behind cover aiming through the HUD display. I don't buy it myself, but that's their position.

As far as HK is concerned, they were selected because they have a rugged rifle system (the G36) that addresses some of the problems of the AR/M16 family and does so in a light, compact package.  Since the 20mm is the primary arm, the long range performance of the 5.56mm round is immaterial to them, so a short barrel is acceptable. They were also an existing government contractor known for innovation.  They were only recently handed production contract for the 20mm weapon component after Alliant had completed the majority of prototyping and development already.

So before you start bashing a company, find out the facts first.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Kroagnon:  "Yeah, you get to play with this gun in Soldier of Fortune 2. If it's anything like the real thing though it's a pain to use."

I agree.  The SOF2 version is a royal pain use when you get up close & personal.  While you're fiddl'n with the grenade controls some goon will pop up right in your face & ruin your day.  The 20mm grenades are kinda weak also.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

He'll never see that left hook coming...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT
CHECK THE HANDGUNS FORUM
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The OICW is just a part of what is hoped to be an integrated combat system. The new crew served weapon launches (IIRC) 25MM airburst grenades. In both weapons, the grenades are fuzed to burst at the proper range by the range finder system. When shown on TLC the other week, the grenades seemed to be pretty accurate as far as a three round burst all popped within inches of each other...

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top