Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2005 6:41:51 PM EDT
I would like to have a variety of slugs for my bandolier (52 rounds)
having about half to three fourths the bandolier filled with Winchester ranger low recoil buckshot, and the rest an assortment of slugs that I can choose if I need them to do a different job... say one that will penetrate a thicker piece of cover or one that will not over penetrate… maybe even throw in some of those flame thrower rounds just to have one or two of them…
Basically what I am asking, what are your favorite slugs?
thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:37:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 2:14:26 AM EDT
Slugs and home defense?? You must live WAY out in the sticks. Honestlly why would you want slugs. You are choosing a shotgun for its multi hit capability. Penetration? A standard 00 buck will go clear through most fram houses. A 52 round bandolier?? dragons Breath rounds?? Oh the Grand jury/prosecutor would just love that. Ladies and gentleman of the jury he was not happy with the standard police/military loadings he had to get special rounds. The police only carry 7 rounds in their
shotguns and the HAVE to go into harms way. the defendant, as he shows a pic of rambo, with 52 rounds of ammo MUST have been on a search and destroy mission...not defending his home. Get the pic. Save the exotic stuff. KISS principal. In home defense you want to appear the victim not a stalker.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 2:30:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2005 2:30:32 AM EDT by cmjohnson]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:03:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:35:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mike103:
Originally Posted By OKLA-LAWMAN:
Slugs and home defense?? You must live WAY out in the sticks. Honestlly why would you want slugs. You are choosing a shotgun for its multi hit capability. Penetration? A standard 00 buck will go clear through most fram houses.

I agree.

Also agreed with the above - I ONLY use standard 2 and 3/4" OO Buck in my home defense shotguns - figuring that it's plenty effective past 25 yards, and I really don't need anything more than that for home defense.... Any distance that won't take care of, I'll be reaching for a rifle...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:22:39 AM EDT

Slugs and home defense?? You must live WAY out in the sticks. Honestlly why would you want slugs.

Buckshot in the mag tube, slugs in the side saddle for those rare instances when they are needed. (body armor, bad guy behind cover, bad guy in a vehicle)
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 11:28:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Slugs and home defense?? You must live WAY out in the sticks. Honestlly why would you want slugs.

Buckshot in the mag tube, slugs in the side saddle for those rare instances when they are needed. (body armor, bad guy behind cover, bad guy in a vehicle)

Me too.

R.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 12:55:58 PM EDT
ok, what slugs are good for say penetrating a piece of plywood, drywall and annything else that it might encounter in a household wall?
how about a car door?
thats basically what i am looking for, incase in the rare instance that i am faced with a threat behind heavy cover i would like ot know i have 5-10 rounds to deal with them.
I dont have too much faith in buckshots penetrating ability. i have tried shooting S&B 00 buckshot through a fairly solid door and what kind of damage it does when it penetrates that. what i found were a bunch of dents in the wood behind it and a few of the pellets stuck into the wood, so i dont know exactly how well it will do after it penetrates a door or wall...
maybe it was just the S&B ammo, but i was not all that impressed. although it did leave a wicked looking exit on the door but after that it didnt look all that good
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 1:01:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freemanesq:

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Me too.

R.

Me three.

(Even though an AR has supplanted my pet bedroom 870 as the primary go-to when things go bump in the night... )
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 1:11:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:14:51 PM EDT
Federal tactical, tru-ball version.... either full on or reduced recoil
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:22:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2005 6:25:00 PM EDT by NYprolitariat]
No one except LEO's will be using a SGN past 20 yds anyway. As OK law stated,you'll pay hell with a jury and an over zelous DA trying to justify shooting anyone past that or using more than what you have loaded in the gun. Remember all shots go somewhere.A BG with 50 holes in him may look cool on TV,but a jury will hang you by the balls for that. If you use a SGN then use it with buckshot,if you want slugs then use a rifle with SP's. The problem is trying to justify your actions afterwards and they'd better be good ones or you'll be spending time in the joint with relatives of the shootee as your bunkbuddies/husbands!! hey
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2005 10:39:52 PM EDT by OKLA-LAWMAN]

Originally Posted By mike103:
Regular cheap-o rifled slugs will do fine on car doors ect.......MIKE.

Buck will go right threw a car door. I have a car in my pasture for such experiments. The only time they wont penetrate is if it hits the Nader rail, but then a slug wont go through that either. I do live in the sticks. My home defense is loaded with buck, side saddle with buck and 4 slugs in the speed feed. I cant imagine a situation that it would run dry. I wouldnt have that much except it is an old duty shotgun. The slugs are on ther mostly to kill wild dogs, after my cows, when I dont have a rifle handy.

Why would you shoot someone behind a car door? That again sounds like he is retreating (or maybe doing a drive by????). Remember you said home defense. I have never heard of a home invader wearing body armor. A slug is relatively easy for most armor to stop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2005 10:47:41 PM EDT by AR15fan]

Originally Posted By NYprolitariat:
No one except LEO's will be using a SGN past 20 yds anyway.

So if the BG is 21 yards away and pointing a rifle at you, you won't shoot?

Granted, the typical HD ranges are short. But sometimes the encounters move outdoors, particularly in kidnappings.

My humble home has the worst defensive posture of any building imaginable. You can literally drive up withen 2.5 feet of my front door. If NLR or Pen1 shows up at my house I'm not stopping with those who come inside. The get away driver is going down too so he cant come back another day. I'll let the DA sort it out while my coworker take down those responsible.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 3:55:48 PM EDT
"ok, what slugs are good for say penetrating a piece of plywood, drywall and annything else that it might encounter in a household wall?
how about a car door?"

As the others said, any slug will likely get those jobs done - that being said, in my experience Brenneke slugs typically expand less and penetrate more than other foster type slugs - although out of my smoothbore 870s, I've had better accuracy with Remington Sluggers and Winchester SuperXs... My fully rifled barrel 870 shoots Federal 3" sabotted slugs with BarnesX bullets very, VERY well - and all of the above have been consistantly effective against whitetail deer...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:32:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
52 rounds for home defense?

Are you expecting an army of Zombies anytime soon?

Ok so anyway, my home defense shotgun is a standard Mossberg 500 with a 5 shot tube. I leave the chamber empty. The first rounds are bird shot and the last three are 00buck. If I need more than that for personal home defense then the shit has truely hit the fan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:49:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:04:21 PM EDT
I keep a couple slugs handy because I live in bear country and the shotgun has to pull double duty to defend against screwballs and screwball animals. Had a moose incident a couple weeks ago, damn thing had been socialized and not a bit scared of dogs or people and was walking towards me and blocking my way to my home. Called the wife on my cell and had her look out back. Shhe asked if she should get a gun, but in my safety kick inspired by my 19 month old all were unloaded and ammo put away. Needless to say the wifey was inspired to learn how to load and use Bertha, model 1300, and we found a spot that the kid can't get to, and as an added measure I got a sidesaddle, and am leaving the tube empty, just in case the kid manages to find a ladder or something.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:25:57 PM EDT
The question was hardware not theory. We all have our opinions when it comes to ammo. If you're looking for an antipersonnel slug, I vote the Brenneke, a popular load is from Dynamit Nobel. Under-penetration will not be an issue!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:41:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FlyNavy:
The question was hardware not theory. We all have our opinions when it comes to ammo.

Yep...give the guy a break.

I have some (quote from the box): "Federal Tactical Rifled Slugs, 12ga, 2/34", 1oz, HYDRA-SHOK HP, Law Enforcement Ammunition, LE127 RS."

These pattern very well in my 590DA1. Freehand, I can shoot the center out of a Shoot-N-See with 6 rounds (or so) at 25 yards all day long.

I would, without hesitation, shoot at a man (sized silhouette ) out to 30 yards, maybe a bit farther. Guess it would depend if the BG would remain still until I got a measurement.
Top Top