Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 12:13:46 PM EDT

I just got a new 16" flattop carbine and i plan on eventually putting some sort of dot type optic on it, not sure what kind yet as that will be like a year from now.

i was wondering what kind of rear sight i should put on it.  Remember, i will be using iron sights only for quite a while, so it has to be quality.

any suggestions?

thanks

-Spaceman
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Arms #40.  It's a flip up rear sight that's held down with a latch and springs up into position.  The spring will keep it from dropping down, even during firing.  The #40 won't get in the way of nearly all other optics you place in front and above it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO..
If your going to use it sticktly as a stand alone sight, I'll side with Big_Bear and the DPMS unit.

In a word..  STURDY !
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at the Rock River tactical handle. It's got A2 sights at the rear and a semi raised rail for the other 3/4. Definitely an interesting alternative.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Spiff,

i have two flattops..., both Colts, one has a Colt C-More on it, the other has a Trijicon TA31, you mention quality, fortunately for me money is not an object when it comes to what I consider quality..., soooooo, after about 6 weeks of intensive searching i come up wyth three gems, my next optical device will be the Trijicon Tactical.......

now let me explain my choices, Trijicon because they require NO batteries !! i love that donut reticle, 2 MOA inside, 1 MOA thickness of donut, 4 MOA outside of donut, our militarys SEALS, GBs, & other special ops forces use it, they cost about $1,200 but if you look around they can be had for around $800-$900 new, i got mine from a gun auction site, used for $650, i called Trijicon, give'm the S/N & it was made in April 2002, it is fully warranted in my name for the next 15 years on the Tritium lyfetyme on scoce it self, the gas must be recharged after 20 years & todays cost is $35...

the Colt C-More.....!! i got lucky once more, i bought a Colt Gov't Carbine w/ M4 upper & the C-More on it already !!! the C C-More has no "tube" to look thru as do typical scopes, there is a special glass optic held in place by a minimal amount of metal, this one takes a battery, but its battery lyfe is 1,000 hrs. plus !! there is a user replaceable diode that emits light onto the glass, any where you see the red dot, put it on your target & fire away, i was using a "E" O2 tank at 100 yds (thats a different report) as a target out of 50 shots off hand, i hit that sucker 22 tymes, fireing rapid fire, i was getting back on target faster than any sighting device i ever used.....

now, to mounting, you must always keep in mind that optical/glass sights will fail, therefore you must have irons at the ready, both those sighting devices have auxilliary irons..., the TA31, look thru the base & there are the irons.., the Colt C-More has a "tactical" model & it has the iron rear sight as an integral unit...

they are both great, the third sighting device that i do not have yet...! is the Trijicon Tactical, more on it when i get it.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top