Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/14/2003 6:47:31 AM EDT
I was at a surplus store and they have a ammocan full of loose 50 ammo. They get some surplus and some other kinds of ammo from ammo suppliers. They really don't get any military surplus other than from ammo selling companies. What the deal is that I took a look at this stuff it looks new, bright, and shiny but the headstamp is very curious. Usually I have seen for example "L C 8 1" (lake city 1981, etc.) stamped in a cross pattern on the compass points of the case head. This case says "L C 4" in a triangular stamping layout as opposed to the cross pattern stamping. L C 4 ??? what the hell? 1904 cases? It looks reloaded because the primers are hard staked with three rough looking stakes that are not real close to the primer. I would never buy and shoot this kind of mystery ammo, besides they think they are going to get $300 for this can LOL On another point, I can tell you I did buy some TNW ammo a few years back when it was cheap and I thought I wasnt going to be able to get it anymore (before I had looked into ammo or bought my rifle). I got some very interesting headstamps in that bunch. I guess TNW themselves or someone they were contracting was re-loading it. One of the samples I kept has a cool headstamp. it says "12.7x99" on one side and "MKE8-64" on the other side of the head stamp. It has an original primer with light laquer and is held in place with a very nice clean triple factory staking right up next to the primer rim. The primer is the older style heavy brass "domed" head type typical of older machine gun ammo. I don't intend to shoot it, but it is an interesting conversation piece. Any people have some other interesting ammo?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
"L C 4" was either 1944 or 1945, one of the two #'s probably broke off. As it was war time production and they just wanted to get the ammo out, there wasn't any need to fix the stamp.

You've got the right idea about the TNW ammo, don't shoot it. Alot of people seem to think that their ammo is stuff that's been scraped up from military ranges. I've seen pics of stuff that was sold with dirt and other crud still on it!

I like the "12.7x99", I have some stuff that reads "PMC 50 CAL" as opposed to the new stuff that has just "PSD".
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The Talon ammo I bought from Ammoman is similar:  S L / 4  and no second digit on the year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it may have been pre-production destined for 2004 and is now being used as components

I bought some...wish me luck....BANG! ow..
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top