Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2004 6:14:54 AM EDT
is mine jammed it won't turn, is there some kind of brotherhood secret move you put on it?  AND while you are answering the setting is on 2 and it kicks like a mule (perceived to be harder than a M1a and a 03).  does higher setting mean less recoil?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
there are TOOLS available to help the stubborn, some turn under finger pressure.
the closer the muzzle end of the regulator is to the gas block the more gas is diverted to the op system; so more felt recoil.
it's recommended to adjust the gas so that the rifle will lock open on an empty mag every time, then close the regulator a click or two more to ensure reliability.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
old style can opener, or swiss army knife can opener blade works wonders,if its froze might use come clp and let it soak.
Ronald
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi!

OK, the gas adjustment process can be a little tedious, but no worries.  I did it on one of mine on Monday evening.

The method I use is to rotate the gas adjustment all the way to 7.  Then, load one round in a magazine, fire that round and observe whether the bolt locks.  If it doesn't, I adjust it one click down (to a lower number) until I get a consistent bolt lock back.  At that point, I adjust it two clicks down from there for reliability.

So far as if it's stuck, I've used a TAPCO gas system/front sight tool mostly, but I've also used an M14 castle nut pliers and the nose of a round to adjust it.  It gets kind of warm when you're shooting, so I wouldn't just grab ahold of it with my hand if I were you.  here
Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
does higher setting mean less recoil?

yes

Gas Regulator Wrench

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes they can be carboned up pretty good - in a case like that, I'd soak it real good with PB Blaster or Kroil for a couple of days, then completely unthread it, thoroughly clean it up, neverseize everything - then put it back together - that oughta take care of things for a long time... Other causes can be the spring being too tight, as mentioned - and that's easy to "loosen" slightly - or I have seen the handguards bind on the gas regulator - in a case like that, a little clearance is needed...

Yes, a "higher number" adjustment will generally offer less felt recoil - although that shouldn't be much of an issue - I set mine for proper function, then don't worry about it...

I use the method outlined by kk7sm - it's always worked well for me...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Eat more beans.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
What setting are you guys running with the Aussie or SA surplus?  My carbine (16.5") runs just fine set on 6, which is sorta high, I think.  One of my friends who has built a lot of FALs speculated that DSA has opened the gas port a bit to make the 16.5 carbines reliable, so that's the reason I can get away with a higher setting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
took the handguards off and took pressure off the spring, it finally moved.   looked like a small burr on the inside of the spring.  this weekend i will try to adjust the gas setting for possibly a softer recoil.  Forgot i had the quick connect flash hider in storage, guess now it can be legally installed.  what is the secret to it.   tried loosening the spring, installing the fh, twisting, but it won't twist all of the way on.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What setting are you guys running with the Aussie or SA surplus?  My carbine (16.5") runs just fine set on 6, which is sorta high, I think.  One of my friends who has built a lot of FALs speculated that DSA has opened the gas port a bit to make the 16.5 carbines reliable, so that's the reason I can get away with a higher setting.

I'm running my Aussie surp on 5..nice light recoil and it doesn't kick the shells everywhere when I want to pick them up to reload.

My typical handloads will run on 7..still nice and light..I get an occasional short cycle so I should probably run 1 click down to around 6.

YMMV.

ETA:  mine is a 21" std. barrel. - STG
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The one I'm playing with right now has a DSA 18" front end on an Imbel receiver.

For the SA stuff, I'm good with about a 5.5, but I have it on 5 so I don't have to worry.

Also using one of those buffertech doodads in the receiver.  Once I para this one all the way, I figure that won't fit anymore.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I would like to make a suggestion to anyone new to FAL's (FALFILES).  That said a metric gas regulator is different then an inch.  It goes 1-7 an inch goes 1-11, if you have a metric FAL remove the Front sight post entirely and take cleaning tool or guitar string or a drill bit and clean out the gas port.  If you look into the hole where your front sight post was you will see the gas port, make sure it is free of crud and dirt once agian this only works for metrics.  Once you are positive it is free of crap put the front sight post back in, either with a tool or a filed down pair of needle nose pliers.  By doing this now you will know you are operating with full gas allotment.  The inch is diagonal drilled hole that you can get to from the gas regulator, clean this out just the same.  The lower the number the gas you are giving to the piston, I try to get mine set as high as possible so I have room to crank it down if I need more gas.

As far as shooting until it locks back I have never bothered with this because all mine have locked back if you are having this trouble I would check your recoil spring.  I shoot one at a time whatch how far my shells are ejecting, and regulate the gas until I have it putting them out maybe three feet from me.  I have had only problems with failure to eject if you are having this problem give it more gas, in other words close that little hole under the gas regulator up more.  

I drill my gas ports out just a smige on all my FALS and that way I am assured full gas blow back.  An 18" barrel you can open up .116" to .118", a 16" barrel .118"to .120" I would not recommend going any larger then that, any larger could shave off to much brass and cause fauling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My Imbel/Coonan 16.75" carbine is running around 4, with Aussie or SA - I don't believe I had to change it for Port, but I wouldn't swear to it... The gas port has been opened up to .120"...

My full length Imbel/Coonan is also running around 4 - gas port hasn't been altered...

Both rifles have had new recoil springs installed - before that, the carbine would run at 6, the full length at 5...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Tapco FAL Gas and Sight Tool.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hi!

OK, the gas adjustment process can be a little tedious, but no worries.  I did it on one of mine on Monday evening.

The method I use is to rotate the gas adjustment all the way to 7.  Then, load one round in a magazine, fire that round and observe whether the bolt locks.  If it doesn't, I adjust it one click down (to a lower number) until I get a consistent bolt lock back.  At that point, I adjust it two clicks down from there for reliability.

So far as if it's stuck, I've used a TAPCO gas system/front sight tool mostly, but I've also used an M14 castle nut pliers and the nose of a round to adjust it.  It gets kind of warm when you're shooting, so I wouldn't just grab ahold of it with my hand if I were you.  here
Good luck!

When Canada issued the C1A1 (semi auto only) the prodcedure was to fire 1 round with the weapon held loosely at the waist and the regulator set to 8 if the HOD locked the carrier set it down 1 setting to 7 and you're done, if it failed to hold open drop to 7 fire one, if it locked drop to 6 and your done, etc. usually it was 7, but it does depend on the conditionof the return spring ( and with civillian ammo your load)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
JMO,
Don't forget that the flash hider adds one more Evil Foreign Part that you need to counter. On the FAL, bare muzzle=6 US parts req.,muzzle device= 7 US parts req.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top