Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 3:39:57 PM EDT
you've placed an order with cmp.  they've sent part of the order.  then you change your order to a nicer rifle.  then they charge your credit card.  and the order is listed as "processing".  i hope that means they're scouring the building for a super nice rifle for me.  probably not, but i can hope.  at any rate, there has to be a name for the anxiety awaiting seeing your serial # show up on the order form...

garanditis?

suggestions...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:49:21 PM EDT
What type of rifle did you change your order to?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:02:47 PM EDT
originally ordered a field grade, and decided for another 105.00 i'd try a service grade.  i've seen mixed reviews on field and rack grades, and straight up outstanding reviews on service grades and up.  besides, they were taking too long to process the field grade order.  

i want it now, now, now...

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2005 6:28:21 AM EDT by JJREA]

Originally Posted By tommygs:
originally ordered a field grade, and decided for another 105.00 i'd try a service grade.  i've seen mixed reviews on field and rack grades, and straight up outstanding reviews on service grades and up.  besides, they were taking too long to process the field grade order.  

i want it now, now, now...

I'm assuming you mean the greek service grade, correct?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:31:44 PM EDT
yes, and it's still... "processing"

i called 'em today.  they're out of boxes.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:51:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tommygs:
yes, and it's still... "processing"

i called 'em today.  they're out of boxes.  

That's a new one one me.!!!!!

So they got your rifle though and no box?

I don't have any experience with the greeks but I have a usgi service grade springfield, bought last xmas.  And my dad and brother both got usgi field grades.  They each have they're good points.  I would say if you look at them overall, none is better than the other.  Mine has a nice bore and has gotten some pretty small groups, yet its still has its warts.  My stock is sanded to the max, the gas cylinder rattled a bunch, and the op rod rubbed on the stock, thus making me do some troubleshooting initially.  Now it runs great.  Oh yeah, and out of the 3 my trigger is the worst.  It's not bad for a trigger but has a longer take up and a little heavier than the rest.  I still like it.  

My brothers field grade has the tightest muzzle, the tightest stock to reciever lock up, and looks pretty good.  His is a field grade.  His seems to shoot pretty well to.  Although I only shot one group for accuracy with his.

this is him, shooting his new found love for the first time.  Don't tell his wife (although I think she already knows

Then there's my dads.  It's the oldest (they we're all built in 44 though), the most worn as far as metal goes, and the worst looking bore.  I couldn't get it to shine and it's pitted and just scary looking.  Yet it still shot pretty good.  I got a 4" 5 shot group out of it at 100 yards, the only one I did for accuracy, and I shot a 1" orange circle out with a clip full at 25 yards.  And his has the nicest looking / feeling stock, but it is the loosest lock up on the receiver.  

And this is my dad when he lost his mind after putting on two bandoliers of the greek!!!!!!!

They are all nice rifles and we are all very happy with them.  No they're not new, and no they're not pristine, but they mean alot to us and they are alot of fun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:33:24 PM EDT
I forgot to ask you when I IM'd you.  What's the status on your rifles?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:38:11 AM EDT
Great Photo's! Wish I was there shooting with you! I'm glad you mentioned how much "fun" Garand shooting is...because to me it is a total kick! By the way, though barrel condition is the standard by which we often judge a shooter...with Garands, I have personally seen rifles with terrible bores (Korean returns) pitted, dark...like 10 miles of bad road...that still shot extremely well.  Which convinced me over time that the M1 is more a "system" than just one part or another...one of the things that most appeals to me about the rifle, is how tough they are, I have also seen rifles that were completely beat, were not real accurate anymore, but still functioned with 100% reliability. So there is alot of leeway there, and that is what makes them nice as a hobby gun. Fun to work on as well as shoot. Great simple rugged technology!
                   Later GEW
Top Top