Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:29:09 PM EDT
Im a college student trying to get back into the shooting sports at 13 I was the GSSF under 21 state champ in NC, at that time I had the beneifit of dads encouragement and support, and of course his bank account. I still have the encouragement and support, however asside from tuition thats about all the money I can snake out of him....which leads me too my questions

1. How can I make my own Dummy rounds, that I can dry fire and cycle through my pump. I have a multi stage loader, not sure what model Ive only used it on birdshot
2. Can I use my basic shotshell loader to load buckshot...whats the process
3. and for the short time who sales low recoil buckshot at a good price or in bulk.

thankyou
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard people punch out the primers and squirt bathtub caulk/RTV into the hole.  That allows for dry firing.  
As far as crimp/length go i would think a hunk of foam or somthing inside and just cut off the plastic outside to length.  Prbably won't look very good but it will get you up and running.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
One option is to buy action proving dummies.
These duplicate the size, weight, and balance of life ammo.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6811&title=ACTION+PROVING+DUMMIES

Buckshot can be loaded on standard loading tools, BUT you have to "stack" the buck pellets in the shells by hand, since they don't feed through shot bushings like birdshot.
Basically, every things the same up to the point where the shot is to be put in, then you have to count and stack the shot by hand, then run it through the crimp stage.

One "speed-up" for the shot is to make a "shot counter".  
This can be as simple as a trough in a wooden or plastic block that will hold exactly the number of shot you're loading.
Simple fill the trough, then load into the shell.

For ultra cheap loads, you can dispense with buffer material.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top