Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 7:09:20 PM EDT
i understand that you cannot yet put a pistol grip on the 12 guage Saiga shotgun, but what about the 20 or the 410?

it seems you can get 10rnd mags for the 410 so it must fall under different laws?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It was the Semiauto factor that enacts the dreaded Assault weapon features into play.  For rifles it's a semi auto that can accept a high capacity magazine (detatchable).  and it's 5 rounds not 10.  Semi auto shotguns cannot hold more that 6 shells. (I think)
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression that the detachable mag counted as one of the EVIL features. And that is the reason that the Saiga can not have a pistol grip regaurdless of mag cap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait a sec i dont think it was the 94 crime bill. I think that if a shotgun has 2 or more of the EVIL features that makes it a DD. Not sure too tired to look it up and im going to bed. Ill look tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that the detachable mag counted as one of the EVIL features. And that is the reason that the Saiga can not have a pistol grip regaurdless of mag cap.

It is an evil feature, but it's also in the definition of an "Assault Rifle".  Any semi auto that can accept a detatchabe magazine...blah blah blah.

That's the the "Kali-safe" AR's have the fixed mags or are "bolt action"
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Semi-auto shotguns can have ONE evil feature from this list:

- extended (>5) mag tube
- folding/collapsing stock
- pistol grip

For example, if you buy a Benelli M1 Super 90, you can have either the non-folding pistol-grip stock, OR the extended mag tube, but not both.  (Hint: ditch the slow-handling pistol-grip stock!)

Single-shots and pumps (and levers, if you have one) aren't affected.  Caliber/guage is irrelevant.

-Troy

Thanks Troy, THE ATF Web sight seems to change everytime I go there.  I can never remember what link/what keyword I used to find anything.  Next time I find it I'm saving the PDA files to my harddrive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and;

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine

so yes, a detachable magazine is one of the features.  the assault rifle definition doesnt apply to assault shotguns.

i think i found out the reason that you can get a 10 rnd mag for the 410 but not the 12 guage.  any shotgun with a bore diameter OVER 1/2'' that accepts an extended magazine that is not "sporting" or some such nonsense.  410's are .41'' (under 1/2'') hence the magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top