Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 10:26:48 AM EDT
would I need to just oil it down with CLP?  Just don't want it to rust really bad over time.

-mm
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I would NOT store anything that I didn't want to rust long term in a car trunk no matter what it was coated with.  Just too variable a situation.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
would I need to just oil it down with CLP?  Just don't want it to rust really bad over time.

-mm

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get Breakfree "Collector" and soak it.  Collector is a thicker oil.  Check it monthly

thanks, will do.

also, I'm not sure it would stay in indefinately months on end.  I shoot it and clean it about once a month without corrosive ammo, so I think it would be out and about every few weeks.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Oil up EVERYTHING, and wrap in seran-wrap?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with DuraCoat or something similar.  Go here (2nd from bottom) for my struggles against rust in trunk-stored guns.

If you want to go cheaper, I'd degrease and spray with primer & spraypaint.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The heat will bake the cosmo out of the wood if there is any.

Other than that, I've just CLPed it down and re-oiled it every few months. Talking about an SKS from my experience. Not a Mosin, if that matters..
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The heat will bake the cosmo out of the wood if there is any.

And leave a big stain on the carpeting.. Been there, done that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top