Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2006 10:10:17 PM EDT
Is it  worth the extra  time(ATF hassle?)  &  money to  own a SBR   ??

I've been sitting on the fence about this for 6 months.

Why not just build an AR pistol ?

(obvious SBR advantage of shoulder fired weapon, but what else?)

Are  SBR's  (& pistols) anymore than range toys

Should I just stick with my 14.5" (+ phantom/vortex)  AR  carbines  ?

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]

FWIW: i think most people wonder the same things before they get/build their first SBR, SBS, suppressor; i know i did.

after building my first AR SBR and shooting it though, i was filling out form 1's for the rest of my guns...

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you use them for work, 99.9% of all guns are range toys.  That being said, an SBR AR was my first NFA, they seem (to me anyway) to have a smidgon higher fun factor than their title I cousins.  
Tony's post pretty much sums it up though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
SBR an AR. Enjoy your freedom. Piss off a liberal.

I had an AR pistol. Later turned it into a SBR.

And with the AR, you have multiple calibers to use.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]
My next rifle will be a SBR 9mm AR... but i don't know how/where to start.  How much $ does the SBR the said cost? and how long do you have to wait for it?

ETA: found it
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I just finished my first SBR, and its by far my favorite weapon that I own.  

Do it, you wont regret it
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm  pretty much in the "what the hell , my as well get one "  category right now.

The  $200  isn't a big deal, I wonder if the ATF paperwork is a liability down the road.
(now on a  gov.  "list"  somewhere)

I've been rationalizing it will actually make a good home defense weapon BUT then started wondering about the muzzle blast/flash & noise.  

Although I'd be grabbing my 14.5" AR  anyways so  why not ??

Would a 9mm upper mitigate the muzzle blast & noise , or am I better off with my G34 for a 9mm home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've been rationalizing it will actually make a good home defense weapon BUT then started wondering about the muzzle blast/flash & noise.  

While you're doing one set of paperwork, why not make it two? I have a suppressor on my SBR.....  
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While you're doing one set of paperwork, why not make it two? I have a suppressor on my SBR.....  

I'd like to get a suppressor but aren't good ones $800-1500  ?

Also do the suppressors affect reliability in short barreled AR's ??  (gas pressure etc. )
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Nah, mine has a HALO on it now, and it runs just like it did before.  Though it gets alot dirtier, quicker.  I think I gave $575 for the HALO through Distinction Arms.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]

bump  for more feedback
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I went 10.5" w/a suppressor.  I ain't goin' back.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I went 10.5" w/a suppressor.  I ain't goin' back.

+1

In true ARFCOM tradition "Get Both" x2

I SBRed 2 lowers (1 9mm and 1 5.56) and bought cans for both.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with a 5 inch 9mm upper with a suppressor. I love it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#16]

well I think  5.56 will be my firts SBR  & then I'll snag a 9mm  later

I'll have to start shopping  suppressors too  
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I am waiting for my CLEO to sign off on my Suppressor Paperwork. It will go on my "work" rifle so no big deal.

After I choke down that $200 expenditure I will be building a 10.5" AR "Pistol" and doing the SBR paperwork so I can put a stock on it.

Then my Rem 870 will get SBS'ed.

IMHO the decision to NFA a weapon is totally personal. I know that in registering my rifle or shotgun it is going to make it harder to sell/transfer because the market for a SBR/SBS is smaller than for a non-NFA item.

I look at it this way:

1. My 870 I will have for the rest of my life, and got a hell of a deal on it to begin with. What's an extra $200 to SBS it? It does serve a practical purpose since it is a "working gun" and the shorter barrel/magazine will make it quicker to handle.

2. AR15's are stupid modular. I can SBR my lower and if later I decide to sell that rifle, I can just throw a new lower on it with a 16OAL barrel and put the bare SBR lower and barrel in the safe until I decide to build a new SBR.

The FA bug bit me when I was in the Corps, so eventually I will be saving for a Registered lower or a RDIAS when funds allow. Of course they are TOTALLY range toys. There is nothing a full auto will do for a civilian that a semi won't do. I know 99% of the time I shot my M16A2 it was on semi and that was in a military enviroment.

As far as your poll, that is kind of limited.

1. Build a 5.56mm or 9mm AR "Pistol" and do your SBR paperwork.
2. List all the calibers you could ever think of using in your SBR on your paperwork (I don't know if "MULTI" still works), and the shortest barrel possible.
3. When the paperwork comes back approved, slap a buttstock on your "pistol" and change the upper for whatever caliber/length you want.
4. You now have one of the most versatile SBR's available.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#18]
LoneWolfUSMC, I agree with everything you just said. And this is somewhat off topic.
But we Hoosiers cant build/have a SBS.

It is funny that we can have all other NFA items, but no SBS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Some can. (LEO Exemption) It just means if I lose my job I have to put a 18" barrel back on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some can. (LEO Exemption) It just means if I lose my job I have to put a 18" barrel back on.

Yes that is true, as I have seen a LEO with a formed 1 SBS in his name.

No offense, as I appreciate the job you guys do, but that pisses me off to no end.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know if owning any of these fun toys would show up on a background check typically done by employers?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]
they will NOT show up
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Is it  worth the extra  time(ATF hassle?)  &  money to  own a SBR   ??

I've been sitting on the fence about this for 6 months.

Why not just build an AR pistol ?

(obvious SBR advantage of shoulder fired weapon, but what else?)

Are  SBR's  (& pistols) anymore than range toys No, not really... They have limited applications, but for the most part it's just about how small you can get. Terminal effecti starts to go away under 14", and at that point you might as well just go extended FH

Should I just stick with my 14.5" (+ phantom/vortex)  AR  carbines  ?  Yes... SBR is good for making 'authentic' semiauto versions of certain short weapons... Not so good with the AR

But of course, if you want it, get it...

I just don't find it worth the tax (or the 'special effort' even if it wasn't taxed/regulated)...

Now, 9mm SMGs are another story...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yes that is true, as I have seen a LEO with a formed 1 SBS in his name.

No offense, as I appreciate the job you guys do, but that pisses me off to no end.

Stay safe

You and I both. I figure if you are going to go to the effort to register it, then you are a minimal threat to me as a LEO. The dirtbags just steal a shotgun and hack the barrel off with a hand saw.

Same thing with Machine Guns. I think they should be handled just like SBR/SBS. If you are going to do the paperwork and pay the tax, then you are a minimal threat. If a dirtbag wants a full auto they are going to steal/smuggle/make one. Not a big deal for them.

Most of what I see on the street are "garbage" weapons anyway. They will still kill you, but they have a 20% chance of blowing up in the BG's face.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top