Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2001 9:42:39 PM EDT
im inquiring about one of these on the xchange forum. im thinking their pretty good, being from springfield armory. im wondering, what kind of receiver do they use, and what parts interchange, or if its easyer, what parts dont. can i put a HK91 stock on it?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Matt -

There's two main types of Springfield Armory SAR8's.  One is the Greek import with a steel receiver and the other is US assembled with a US made aluminum receiver.  The aluminum receiver guns are about the same as any other aluminum receiver HK91 clone - pretty much junk.  You'd be far better off with a clone built on an FMP receiver.  The Greek steel guns are about the next best thing to a real HK91 - they're made on HK licensed machinery and parts interchange (keeping in mind that it is an imported gun, so you have to keep it import legal, or up the US parts count to get around 18 USC 922(r)).  I've got one and use a registered sear in it, so I can have the telestock...

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
are the aluminum receiver ones jammomatic or what? what is so junk about um?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, maybe "junk" is a bit harsh - sorry about that.  However, the aluminum receivers are ugly as sin IMHO.  And while I haven't confirmed it, I've heard the Springfield guns are actually built on aluminum receivers manufactured by Hesse.  Why pay a Springfield price for a Hesse gun?  If you're getting a screamer of a deal, I'd buy it, but otherwise, I wouldn't.  You can pick up an FMP receiver with cocking tube for about $350, a complete HK parts kit for about $300, and allow another $200 for barrel installation.  For about $850 you're into a nice 91 clone on a steel FMP receiver - much better than the aluminum.  It may be a little more than an aluminum gun, but it will look much better, hold its value far better, and you'll probably be a lot happier with it in the long run.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a ok deal, that involves a trade, so i think i'll pry do it, maybe pick up a FMP down the road. where would i look for this?
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Matt -

I think Interordnance has them, but definitely call and make sure they have them in stock.  From what I've heard, IO has a habit of advertising stuff they don't yet have in stock and making people wait for merchandise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top