Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2008 11:12:13 AM EDT
I have HORRIBLE eye sight. anything past my arms length is blurry.  I have worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade, and have always hated them. they are just so unreliable. they fall off when I sweat or move to fast. they are easily broken/scratched (even thought i buy the toughest pairs money can buy). if they fall off outside, its takes forever to find them, mostly because i cant see to find them.

the reason for posting this is that im looking at getting something a little more tacticool. something from wiley-x or another name brand maker. im not looking for military type goggles, just something like this... brick from wiley x

my daily/weekly/monthly activities are very active and kinda rough, and include light to heavy yard work, martial arts, sparing, cutting down trees, camping, shooting, hunting, home improvement and everything in between. i want something that can wear during these activities W/O having to worry about them falling off. something that will protect my eyes when shooing and still provide a good view. transition lenses would be great also. and obviously they would have to be prescription or there would be no point.

I also think glasses like this would be very help full in any sort of SHTF event. if something were to happen to my one pair, i would be blind almost. and blind people arnt much good in a SHTF, nor are they likely to survive. so a good durable back up pair just makes since.

the pair in the link above is pretty close to what i want. is there a pair out there that dose all of the above but i can change between a strap and the regular ear bars. in stead of just adding a strap to the ear bars. any other makers i should look at. I don't like they way regular glasses kinda stick out near the corner of my eyes either. not a big deal, just nit picking.

I should mention that any form of eye surgery is out of the question for at least 3 more years. this is because of my age and the rate at witch my eyes are still deteriorating.

thanks for any help you could provide in finding what im looking for.

Link Posted: 3/31/2008 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I know that Oakley offers perscription lenses through the Standard Issue program I assume you can get them as a civie but you might be paying an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
tag from a fellow 'blind' Ohioin

I too have been on a mission for good set of back-up glasses. right now I just use some simple G.I. goggles to protect my eyes and glasses, but certainly want something better

I'm not brave enough for this either
AR15.COM :: Forums :: So I just bought the best SHTF gear I can imagine

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=610580
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pair of the Wiley-X RomerII prescription safety glasses.   I wanted a wrap around pair of glasses but cant wear the non script ones. Well I had to send in the script and when I got the glasses the wernt right. The PD was off and maybe it was my script but there was a lot of parallax and I really didn't like them .  Chalk it up to experience but i was out a little over $300.. I think a flatter lens is the way to go.  Just get a 2 for 1 sale at a leading place like Miki Optical and you'll be GTG..
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to sound like a dick on this or anything but this is why I invested in LASIK.  I mean...for the crazy amount of money that you'll spend on a single pair of prescription shooting glasses, why not spend a bit more and just have good prescription free vision?

For SHTF, there is no better investment if you wear glasses than to not have to worry about a pair of glasses breaking potentially costing your life.

If you live in Ohio, you need to go to Bloomberg Eye Center in Newark, get the FREE exam, let them tell you how much it is and just do it.  I'm probably going to end up with 20/5-20/10 in both eyes.  The reason most people that get LASIK done end up with better than 20/20 vision is because they check your eyes with them fully dilated so they get an exact point of reference for you correction. They have 12 month interest free financing too.

I had astigmatism in both eyes (which LASIK corrects) with about a +2.50 in both eyes.  This with the lifetime free correction assurance was a total of $1900.  Never having to fuck with prescription lenses ever again?  Priceless.

I seriously cannot urge this enough!  You will not regret it.  Then just save up $100 for a pair of regular Wiley-X glasses like I'm doing right now.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I too have been on a mission for good set of back-up glasses. right now I just use some simple G.I. goggles to protect my eyes and glasses, but certainly want something better

Seriously, it is not bad at all.  I asked my doctor if anyone has ever been blinded by LASIK and he told me that it would be literally impossible.  The thought of what they do is a million times worse than when the actually do it.  I don't know that I would want to watch them do it to me in the 3rd person but you can't even tell WTF they're doing while they do it and I was just fine with that.

ETA:  The post-surgery discomfort lasted for about 2 hours and a single Vicodin took care of it.  The discomfort was not as bad as having an eyelash in your eye if that gives you an idea.

ETA ETA:  When the procedure is being done, you feel absolutely nothing.  Your eyes are completely numb.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, it is not bad at all.  I asked my doctor if anyone has ever been blinded by LASIK and he told me that it would be literally impossible.  The thought of what they do is a million times worse than when the actually do it.  I don't know that I would want to watch them do it to me in the 3rd person but you can't even tell WTF they're doing while they do it and I was just fine with that.

ETA:  The post-surgery discomfort lasted for about 2 hours and a single Vicodin took care of it.  The discomfort was not as bad as having an eyelash in your eye if that gives you an idea.

ETA ETA:  When the procedure is being done, you feel absolutely nothing.  Your eyes are completely numb.

I cant wait till I can have it done, untill then im stuck looking for better glasses
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant wait till I can have it done, untill then im stuck looking for better glasses

Why can't you get it done now?  Just wondering.  You could always finance it and spread the payments out a couple years or whatever.  Think of it this way...if the SHTF, you can welch on all of your debts and not worry too much but it will be kinda hard to get LASIK after the SHTF.   If you plan to get it done, I would seriously suggest that you just get it done and save the money from a pair of prescription shooting glasses that will do you zero good once your eyes are fixed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
PRK is a bit better as LASIK has some drawbacks.

Otherwise I use Revision Sawfly's and I love them.  Also I think they were rated the highest in protection in several tests.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why can't you get it done now?  Just wondering.  You could always finance it and spread the payments out a couple years or whatever.  Think of it this way...if the SHTF, you can welch on all of your debts and not worry too much but it will be kinda hard to get LASIK after the SHTF.   If you plan to get it done, I would seriously suggest that you just get it done and save the money from a pair of prescription shooting glasses that will do you zero good once your eyes are fixed.

I would have had it done last year if I could have. but in order to do so, your must stop deteriorating and remain a certain way for 6-9 months. other wise they make the changes to your eyes with surgory, then your eyes keep getting worse, then you have to do it again. the rate at witch my eye deteriorate = getting a new prescription every 6 months. but my insurance only covers a new one every 2 years. so 3/4 of the time out of my life it's more difficult to see then it should be.

also. im 21, and the average age at witch mens eyes stabilize is 24. so I have some waiting to do. 3 years + 6 months to stabilize minimum. if the SHTF B4 that, im f***ed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2008 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have had it done last year if I could have. but in order to do so, your must stop deteriorating and remain a certain way for 6-9 months. other wise they make the changes to your eyes with surgory, then your eyes keep getting worse, then you have to do it again. the rate at witch my eye deteriorate = getting a new prescription every 6 months. but my insurance only covers a new one every 2 years. so 3/4 of the time out of my life it's more difficult to see then it should be.

also. im 21, and the average age at witch mens eyes stabilize is 24. so I have some waiting to do. 3 years + 6 months to stabilize minimum. if the SHTF B4 that, im f***ed.

Ah...you're only 21.  I'm 26 and my eyes stopped changing completely at around 22-23.  I got my last pair of glasses when I was about 22 and when they checked my eyes for the surgery, about 4 years later, the glasses were still giving me 20/20 vision.  I see exactly where you're coming from.  Your eyes should stop changing soon though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess still being young and bulletproof doesn't help me in this situation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a pair of goggles from www.brigadeqm.com that fit over glasses, part number MGS and you can get an insert for the RX lens that fits inside the goggle as well.   I'm going to be getting a pair of these to use as sun glasses, when I replace my prescription lens, $400 for a set of lens is stupid and $200 for polarized lens bankrupts me every time.

My eyesight w/o glasses classifies my as legally blind, with them 20/21 and 20/15.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I ended up going with the Brick model from Wily-X. they should be here in a week. Ill post my thoughts on them after I have used them for a couple weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top