Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 7:31:00 AM EDT
I did a search and nothing came up in this forum for suppressing a kimber .45.
and I'm struggling on the interweb to find threaded barrels, etc.

anyways, I have a Kimber Stainless II .45 and think a matching stainless can would be a good thing to look into....

I'm thinking my next suppressor needs to be a centerfire pistol caliber.  I have a Kimber, a G19, and a Taurus pt99afs (my first auto pistol, gimme a break, I actually like it).  things like; site height and other adjustments are a factor as if I have to dump a bunch of money into a pistol just to make it suppressor ready, I could justify buying a new one in my mind
hell, I dunno if its even worth doing or possible due to the bushing, etc.

any direction yall could give would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own any suppressed .45 due to the poor performance of the caliber when talking about suppression levels, but I know that Bar-Sto ($285.00) and Jarvis($257.00) both can help you with threaded barrels.  Or if you didn't want to spend that much, you could always look for a long slide barrel and have it chopped and threaded by the smith of your choice, but the numbers likely wouldn't be too different.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend buying a suppressor for you G19 instead. 45 doesn't suppress very well, but 9mm sounds great. Lots of good offerings, I'm partial to the SWR.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It's true that the .45 doesnt suppress as well as the 9mm does but it certainly is more effective at subsonic velocities than the 9mm could ever hope to be.   I have a suppressed .45 carbine and I believe bullet impact to be the louder than anything else.  A .45 slug makes quite a bit of noise when it smacks into something.  

If you dont mind a little more noise the gemtech blackside seems to be well received by folks who've bought them.   I have yet to see a negative review of one.   For barrels I'd definintely contact Bar Sto or Jarvis.  

You'll never get hollywood quiet but you can definitely make it so it wont be heard more than 100 or so yards away.

No matter what crap you read on the interweb the .45 is a more effective cartridge than 9mm.  Anyone who argues the point has never shot a living creature with both calibers.    Personally I'd like to have both a 9mm and .45 suppressor but given my budget I'd just go ahead and buy the blackside and suppress my Colt Commander.

If quiet is your goal over everything else I'd suppress the 9mm in either the Taurus or the Glock.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you dont mind a little more noise the gemtech blackside seems to be well received by folks who've bought them.   I have yet to see a negative review of one.

I have to politely disagree. I'm very disappointed in my Blackside's inability to cycle with my HK USP45CT nor my fullsize Tactical. Between 75 and 100 rounds problems start. FTE's are the most common. Despite it's light weight, the lack of a recoil booster causes me significant problems. If you do a search you'll find that I'm not the only one. Check ToS, and you'll find even more. The most disappointing thing is that Gemtech won't make a recoil booster, even though they know that people have been having problems.

Other than that, the sound isn't bad. Wet it's pretty comfortable, dry it's a little painful.

As far as the subsonic .45 vs. 9mm is concerned, do you really plan on taking the time to screw on your suppressor before you have to use your pistol in self defense? If you're going to use a pistol for self defense you might as well use the best round for the job, not whether or not it's going to be subsonic through your suppressor.

I'd say go with the 9mm, as far as suppression is concerned you'll be a lot happier. The alternative would be the KAC suppressor. It's hearing safe dry and very quiet wet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you dont mind a little more noise the gemtech blackside seems to be well received by folks who've bought them.   I have yet to see a negative review of one.

I have to politely disagree. I'm very disappointed in my Blackside's inability to cycle with my HK USP45CT nor my fullsize Tactical. Between 75 and 100 rounds problems start. FTE's are the most common. Despite it's light weight, the lack of a recoil booster causes me significant problems. If you do a search you'll find that I'm not the only one. Check ToS, and you'll find even more. The most disappointing thing is that Gemtech won't make a recoil booster, even though they know that people have been having problems.

Other than that, the sound isn't bad. Wet it's pretty comfortable, dry it's a little painful.

As far as the subsonic .45 vs. 9mm is concerned, do you really plan on taking the time to screw on your suppressor before you have to use your pistol in self defense? If you're going to use a pistol for self defense you might as well use the best round for the job, not whether or not it's going to be subsonic through your suppressor.

I'd say go with the 9mm, as far as suppression is concerned you'll be a lot happier. The alternative would be the KAC suppressor. It's hearing safe dry and very quiet wet.

I hadn't heard the KAC can (or any other 45 can) was hearing safe dry.  Can you confirm this?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the input thus far.
my interest in suppressing my Kimber over the others was mainly due to the fact that I really enjoy shooting that pistol.  the G19 is virtually only used as a concealed carry weapon (when I carry which isnt that often), and the Taurus just sits in the door pocket in my truck.

now.....with the stupid "suppressor disease", I'm thinking about buying another pistol just to suppress it.

front runners in that arena are a G17 (cuz I already have a bunch of mags since they fit my G19 too) or a Sig 226.  Possibly a HK Tactical in 9mm.

Johnny: I love my Warlock and SWR's helpfullness in general, so I'd look strongly at them again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you suppress a 1911...

I use a Jarvis drop-in barrel in mine (Kimber Custom II) and have zero problems.  I am partial to cans with good boosters in them.  I use an AAC Evo-45 and use water as a medium in it.  I've tried some gel and it is okay, but a bit more messy to me.  My business partner prefers the gel.  If you go that way 1928A1 sells a suppressor gel on his website.

Mark

is your setup "hearing safe"?
down the road, when my girls step up from 22lr pistols, I want something we can shoot without ears and be safe.

another question.....when is Tac Sol gonna have their 22lr upper ready?
lol
I know you have one....
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, I have TWO of the TacSol 1911 uppers.  

Mark

I hate you
you could "lose" one and I'd have my bud JDS come pick it up....hehe

any timeframe on their general release?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had the SWR HEMS I+II. They are just about as quiet as 9mm cans, however they are wet cans. I think its one of the best suppressors out there.

However I would go with the 9mm Trident over the HEMS exp for my first can. The 9mm has more options available. It preforms well dry. You can use it on rifle or pistol alike with little modifications which are not cost prohibitive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top