Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 1:48:56 PM EDT
I have several cans already but none for pistol.  Most of my pistols are 1911's so that is what I want to suppress.  I'm looking at the osprey .45.  Can you recommend a barrel for my colt and if I need to do anything else to use the suppressor on the Colt.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Storm lake barrels
Suppressor sights or "shoot through the can"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
With an osprey standard 1911 sights should barely clear the can. But don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With an osprey standard 1911 sights should barely clear the can. But don't quote me on that.
View Quote

I have the Sig scorpion carry with factory threaded barrel. I have three 45 Suppressors Osprey, Octaine, and Tirant short. With all three cans and factory sights you still have to sight through them. Then 1911 seams quieter suppressed than my FNX 45. My favorite can on the 1911 is the Ti-Rant 45 short when dipped in water.  My buddy has a Springfield 191 that he added a fitted storm lake barrel and shoots it with the Octaine.

OP take a look on y-tube and watch videos on the Griffin Armament Revolution 9 (45 in the works.) You can have best of both worlds short/long and the baffles removable and contain all the crud. My Ospray is cool but the i think the take apart cans are better in the long run. I think the Octane is quieter than the Ospray.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Stormlake smith fit and tall sights........its the way to go.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Springfield TRP with a Bar-sto threaded barrel.  I own three of their barrels also for my sigs.  Very pleased.  Very accurate.  My TRP is so accurate, it's boring.  I use an octane 45.  Sights are too low on the TRP ....so I got a Sig P227 tactical. Might not be an issue with the Osprey
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]

My MC Operator w/ Storm Lake barrel, stock sights and Osprey .45. Mainly just aim through the can.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Sig 1911, Factory bbl, Factory adj sights, Octane45HD
shooting through
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator has all work done from Springfield Armory Custom Shop - to include the threaded match grade barrel.

1911 has a TiRant 45 and, like others have posted, I shoot "through the can" for sight picture.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine came with tall sights that are just over the Ti rant.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there anything special that you need with a 1911 system to fire suppressed? Other than a can and threaded barrel. I thought I read something once about a booster?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
What threaded barrel do I need for my TRP half-railed operator.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Storm lake smith fit
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there anything special that you need with a 1911 system to fire suppressed? Other than a can and threaded barrel. I thought I read something once about a booster?
View Quote

Yeah you need a booster.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
USAMU samples:

Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide, visiting the USAMU:

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
So would that be like the Assured Semi-Automatic Performance system on the AAC Ti-Rant series?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So would that be like the Assured Semi-Automatic Performance system on the AAC Ti-Rant series?
View Quote

I don't know about that one, but check out the SilencerCo Osprey and Octane technical details on their website or on the Silencer Shop website.  Different pistons for different threads, the pistons are interchangeable so that one suppressor can be used on various hosts.  

A spring works with the different pistons for semi-auto pistols, or you can replace the spring with a fixed spacer to use the suppressor on a fixed barrel, say a pistol caliber AR.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Storm lake smith fit
View Quote

do you have a link?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

do you have a link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Storm lake smith fit

do you have a link?

I got mine from their website direct.......but i just tried to select all the same options and they only had "drop-in" fit instead of oversized. Id call them on monday and ask.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got mine from their website direct.......but i just tried to select all the same options and they only had "drop-in" fit instead of oversized. Id call them on monday and ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Storm lake smith fit

do you have a link?

Are there any good smiths that I can just send the gun too and they will have the barrel and fit it for me and I just pay them instead ordering the barrel and sending them both the gun and barrel?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#21]
This is what slowed me down on suppressing my 1911s.
I think a 'smith could get by with the barrel and slide only but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are there any good smiths that I can just send the gun too and they will have the barrel and fit it for me and I just pay them instead ordering the barrel and sending them both the gun and barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Storm lake smith fit

do you have a link?

Nighthawk produces "factory" threaded 1911's.....they probably could help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Looking for tall sights for my Ruger SR1911. Are there any other aftermarket options besides the Nighthawk Heinies? (& those are always 'out of stock' anyway).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a drop in Storm Lake barrel from Midway for my Kimber.  It runs like a champ and its a tackdriver.  They were on sale for  $200.  (About a week after I paid $240, of course.)  I run an Osprey and love it.  I can barely see the sights.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a Gemtech Blackside 45 Unboosted. its designed for the 1911, and you save weight and length by not having a booster. GREAT can.

Its smaller and Lighter than my 9mm Osprey

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably can order one, but heres one on gb
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=463116709
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Active, thanks for sharing your pics and info.  What barrel are you running on your Kimber?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Storm lake smith fit

do you have a link?

I had a Storm Lake fitted by The Ten Ring here in San Antonio. No idea if he keeps much on hand as far as threaded barrels though. I provided all the parts when I dropped my Commander off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top