Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/5/2002 4:16:19 PM EDT
Ok lets say i want to buy a lower reciever. And i have to have it shipped to a licensed ffl dealer for transfer to me. (utterly stupid) So lets say there is a said dealer in my area. Well the question is, do I have to go to them and pay them the money to order the part for me or what?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2002 4:37:13 PM EDT by BushMeister]
If you are buying a lower receiver from a seller *out of state*, and you are not a licensed FFL, you have to have the receiver shipped to a licensed FFL in your state.

Generally, though, you will pay the seller directly for the receiver. You only have to pay the FFL a transfer fee for doing the transfer, background check, etc. Usually, that should cost from $10-30.

It's best to have an FFL in mind before you actually order a firearm. It also helps to be sure you'll pass the background check. If you need help finding an FFL near you that is willing to do straight transfers, check out Gunbroker.com "Find an FFL".:


Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:36:26 PM EDT
It depends on the FFL you deal with. Some require that you bring the money to them before they order, and some who trust you will order it and cover the charge initially for you. There are a rare few that will allow you to call and place the order on your credit card and just tell them you are from the licensed FFL business. Of course this will only work when the FFL is licensed to a business vs. a person and that license is on file with the company selling the gun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:38:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2002 4:40:31 PM EDT by sulaco]
It really depends on who you are buying from. Some times companies will prefer if the FFL pays for the part, and other times you pay them directly and just pay the FFL there cut and tax on your order.

I find it odd that the FFL collects sales tax on out of state purchases but they do. The main reason why is because you still need to pay sales tax on items purchased out of state – you just need to report them on your taxes. Because it’s going though a licensed tax collector, your FFL, they will collect the tax for you and not require you to declare it.
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:41:33 PM EDT
The basics

Find an FFL that does transfers, see what he charges.

Get signed copy of FFL license

Send signed copy and money to seller

Seller ships to FFL

Pick up lower from FFL and pay his fee.

good luck
Top Top