Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2013 9:54:21 AM EDT
I purchased some 7.62x39 dies and brass sight unseen, and many of the cases have this step in the neck, as in the left and right cases in this picture.

Is this from the previous shooter resizing them for .308" bullets instead of .310"?

Will the necks iron out in a full length resizing die?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say this is most certainly not from being resized to .308.

I can't say what it is.

I would try FL resizing, it should fix the issue, however I wouldn't be surprised if it resulted in neck splits.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
They were fired in a Russian Saiga or Vepr rifle that had a barrel made for legal civilian use in Russia. The step in the chamber neck is to identify fired cases as coming from a civilian rifle and not from an unregistered military rifle. This is the law in Russia.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding! Awesome info I've never heard of before.

Thanks for supplying it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were fired in a Russian Saiga or Vepr rifle that had a barrel made for legal civilian use in Russia. The step in the chamber neck is to identify fired cases as coming from a civilian rifle and not from an unregistered military rifle. This is the law in Russia.
View Quote

Never heard that before...
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Saiga that produces brass that looks just like this, it is true.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Fascinating. Thanks everybody.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Russian rifles must use a much smaller diameter bullet than .308/.311 or the chamber neck behind the .311" bullet is opened up to allow this expansion to take place. If that's the case split necks are almost certain at the neck shoulder junction.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]

The Russian rifles must use a much smaller diameter bullet than .308/.311 or the chamber neck behind the .311" bullet is opened up to allow this expansion to take place. If that's the case split necks are almost certain at the neck shoulder junction.
View Quote

Its the latter, the chamber is opened up.

I really don't see it as being a problem or causing split necks. If the brass is fresh it should size back down without any problem.

I guess you are not too familiar with calibers like .338-06 and 35 Wheeling. Both are made from 30-06 brass and work very well. Going from 30caliber to .338 looks about the same as the step in the photos posted. Now imagine going up to 35 caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top