Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2010 6:57:02 AM EDT
does it make much difference actually which type of bullet seating die one uses as far as improved accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't say if it gives better accuracy or not, but I can say a die with a micrometer head is easier to set up and make small adjustments with.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The real advantage of a precision seater is that it has a sliding sleeve that aligns the bullet & case before the seating plunger starts to push the bullet home, thus minimizing run out.  Forster makes these with and without a micrometer seater, Hornady makes one without and Redding with.  I have a Hornady and a Forster, neither with micrometer, both work well but I have a slight preference for the Forster.  If you use a lot of different bullets with different seat depths, get a micrometer die.  My Forster is for .223 and I run a lot of 55 gr. flat based varmint nightmares on a Dillon 550, this die makes it painless.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
awesome.  thanks for the info.  just ordered a forster so will go down that road!
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up my first micrometer seating die for 300 blk.  Its the Forster one and it's pretty nice.  I didn't know about the sliding portion that aligns the case up to the bullet as straight as I could ever hope for.  For a marginal extra expense initially, I think the micrometer die is worth it because of the imceased precision and ease of adjusting seating depth.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Having used a micrometer top Forster and a micrometer top Hornady, along with standard seaters...buy the micrometer top version. Lots easier to use. I think the Forster is better quality, but it's also a lot more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one Hornady and 2 Forsters, one with the micrometer head and one without.  All 3 have a similar design.  I like to lap a bullet to a certain die steam, on a forster, that happens to be part J-30. A note with the Forster dies, for some reason some people don't see them as the top notch equipment that they are when items sell on ebay.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The Lee has a floating bullet seater as well
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought about getting a Redding Comp Seater and after experimenting with my Dillon Seater and using a Hornady comparator insert I found out I get really consistent results so I saved my $$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top