Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2008 8:17:08 PM EDT
Ok I took the plunge.  Got the 1903 who has been bubbaized.  Anyone know any good gunsmiths that could put her back into original con.?  I also got a beat up .303 enfield in the deal.  The enfield is ok, could use some tlc, maybe a new stock and is missing a few parts, like the front sight.

I would like to send them both to someone who could repair and refinish, maybe rebarrel if it is needed.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
After listening to many members here, welding would not be a wise thing to do on the receiver. I just paid $290 for a sporterized 03-A3. All it needs to be converted back is some original wood. I opted to go this route due to the fact that even in my local pawn shop, they want over $700 for mil-surp.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I edited the original post to reflect my new project
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I had ER SHAW make a fluted barrle for an 03-a3 my grandpaw left me, 260.00 100.00 less minus fluting you choose barrle config and rifling they dont park only bluing sent it to ADCO to park and gun kote and instal barrle and thread for suppresor should be here next will post pics.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok I took the plunge.  Got the 1903 who has been bubbaized.  Anyone know any good gunsmiths that could put her back into original con.?  I also got a beat up .303 enfield in the deal.  The enfield is ok, could use some tlc, maybe a new stock and is missing a few parts, like the front sight.

I would like to send them both to someone who could repair and refinish, maybe rebarrel if it is needed.  Any ideas?

Can you post pictures ? Then I'll know if I can help you with parts for the Enfield.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll try and get some tomorrow, might have to borrow a buddies camera, all I've got's a 35mm and this silly camera phone

I had ER SHAW make a fluted barrle for an 03-a3 my grandpaw left me, 260.00 100.00 less minus fluting you choose barrle config and rifling they dont park only bluing sent it to ADCO to park and gun kote and instal barrle and thread for suppresor should be here next will post pics.

I would rather put the 1903 back into original cond.  Need some gunsmith info on who to send it to.  The receiver has holes drilled for a scope, I'm wondering if those can be filled in with weld and polished over (then smooth and refinish the whole thing).  I know guys do this type of thing with AK's quite a bit.

I got the two guns for 275 so I don't think I got too bad of a deal, so long as they can be repaired.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
You're going to end up with more money wrapped up in this project than the end result is worth.  And its still going to be a bubba'd gun.  Just bubba'd back to something that looks original.  But isn't.  03 parts are not cheap and they aren't always the easiest things to find.  I'd suggest looking at Numrich to get an idea of what the parts cost will be.  Refinishing fees will be on top of that.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You're going to end up with more money wrapped up in this project than the end result is worth.  And its still going to be a bubba'd gun.  Just bubba'd back to something that looks original.  But isn't.  03 parts are not cheap and they aren't always the easiest things to find.  I'd suggest looking at Numrich to get an idea of what the parts cost will be.  Refinishing fees will be on top of that.  

Bingo! You're going to spend $1000 to make a $350 rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top