Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 2/8/2007 6:55:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 3:40:20 PM EST by builttoughf250]
im about to embark on a very serious, highly dangerous and top secret mission.

im going to BUILD a folding stock for my SOCOM16.

so far, the plan is to start with a USGI fiberglass stock which i plan on buying as cheap as possible.

cut it close to the rear of the reciever, but not too close so it wont be sturdy enough, close enough to make the LOP on the folder the right length, and before it curves too far down the handle.

i plan on adding a pistol grip underneath it, probably an AR15 stock just for preferance, but i wonder how well it will seat. thats another issue to be looked into.

the rear folding stock. i would like to use a side folder that wont get in the way of the charging handle. i have thought of using a shotgun folder, but some of them are solid mounted to the pistol grip. this wont work. i need a FLAT piece to bolt to the part of the USGI fiberglass stock which i will cut to a flat surface. this is going to be the toughest part, finding something like this. i think the metal a Ruger Mini14 folding stock i use to own would work pretty well. i need to call my friend and see it he still has it.
heres an example
www.combatstocks.com/Butler_Creek_Stainless_Steel_Folding_Stock_for_Ruger_MINI_14_30.cfm

pictures, and advice / opinions / info highly appreciated. thanks.

i plan on doing this as clean and professional looking as possible, then painting it afterwards.

ok, so i cheated and bought one! Butler Creek folder. $250. they havent made these in years so they can run a high price, ive seen them online for 350-400 for sale

Link Posted: 2/8/2007 8:34:07 PM EST
i like where you're going with it, but i see problems. if you plan to use a telescoping AR style stock, you may run into a problem with angles. the design of the M14 stock is such that it raises the rifle from your shoulder to your sightline, thus allowing you to keep your head more upright while still maintining a good cheek weld. If you mount the AR stock in line with the barrel, as it is designed to be, you may be putting the LOS of the rifle too low, thus necessitating excessive head cant to get your cheek onto the stock, and your eye down the sights. I'm interested to see where you go with this though
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 9:09:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
i like where you're going with it, but i see problems. if you plan to use a telescoping AR style stock, you may run into a problem with angles. the design of the M14 stock is such that it raises the rifle from your shoulder to your sightline, thus allowing you to keep your head more upright while still maintining a good cheek weld. If you mount the AR stock in line with the barrel, as it is designed to be, you may be putting the LOS of the rifle too low, thus necessitating excessive head cant to get your cheek onto the stock, and your eye down the sights. I'm interested to see where you go with this though

nah, no AR stock bro. like i posted in the link, maybe a Butler Creek stock so it has the flush metal plate. i can make a flat cut on the M1A stock, the angle of it will have to be determined when i have the metal / stock in hand, to make the right alignment and to make sure it clears the charging handle.

i assure you, before i do any cutting or drilling ill think all the points through...
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:00:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/9/2007 12:01:29 PM EST by AILapua]
I went the easier route and bought three MFS-14 MacMillan stocks, but I applaud your tenacity!
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:45:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By AILapua:
I went the easier route and bought three MFS-14 MacMillan stocks, but I applaud your tenacity!

i dont have that kind of cash.

i am starting to worry the spot you need to cut on the back of the stock will be running pretty thin once you put screws in it, making it unsturdy and easy to crack
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 12:58:09 PM EST
*If I were doing such a task*, I would machine an aluminium plate for the inside of the stock, embed (glass bed). This would give you a solid piece to bolt onto for the outside swivel / adapter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:40:50 PM EST
btt
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:35:06 PM EST
Looks GOOD!! Congratulations on a well conceived and executed project.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:55:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By azjeffs:
Looks GOOD!! Congratulations on a well conceived and executed project.

thanks! i put the top rail back on and now im trying to figure out a sling for it.. might have to go the IDF route or drill and put a stud in the side of the metal part of the folder...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:44:24 PM EST
ok, on the M14 and M1A stocks there is that swivel on the front bottom of the stock that is held on with two rivets...

i think maybe i need to use one of those swivel / plates and mount it to the left side of this folding stock at the METAL folding point...

what tool is needed to crush down those rivets? any advice? anywhere to order those swivels and rivets?

otherwise i wanted to just put a swivel STUD in there, by drilling one hole and screwing it into there but it would have to be threaded somehow to match that studs thread pattern... then use a quick release swivel on the stud

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:02:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2007 1:09:45 AM EST by raf]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:20:57 AM EST
Man, you have NO IDEA how hard I tried to get my hands on a better stock for my M14 over there!!

Wearing the IBA, you just can't get a decent stock weld, so your accuracy is more luck than practice.

I searched the internet every week looking for one of those Choate Stocks. Was going to order one of the MagPul stocks, but they wouldn't/couldn't ship overseas, even to APO's. And they couldn't sell the RIS, as it was a SA deal. Tried to get a McMillian MFS14 stock, but they were so backordered at the time, that I would have just gotten it. And don't even go there about the Sage EBR stock...

Wow. The fun I could have had over there with just a smidgen of the coolguystuff ya'll have on this forum.
Top Top