Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 8:05:39 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a cetme 308.  i have heard some good stories and some nightmares about getting it and the gun being a load of crap...
have any of you guys ordered one of these??
whats a good price? where'd you get it?  what kind of shape was it in when you got it?

thanks a lot!

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
David,
I've owned a Cetme for about 1 1/2 years and I bought mine when the were going for $500+. My Cetme has the stainless receiver and the parts were from an unissued rifle. My Cetme had to go back to Century because it was shooting about 8 inches to the left at 100 yards. After Century fixed the rifle,it shot dead on. I love my rifle and would do it all over again. I believe that Century has the assembly process down pat and wouldn't hesitate to buy one now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply!

i saw one on gunbroker.com  for $289!!  i think they are stamped.  so century is pretty good about taking back the guns?? did they charge you?
thanks

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just check the rifle out very good. As everyone else has told me it's a crap shoot with Century. Try to read up on them before getting one. There are a few website that have really good info on what to look for when buying a CETME. I'll try and find the website and post a link for ya. Happy hunting.

Andyhref=www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/cetme1.html?1006652443870
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Look around for a used one that has all the bugs worked out of it.  I lucked out back in 8/01 to recieve a good one on a SW stainless reciever.  

Century will correct any problems at no charge, but who wants to buy a new toy then have to send it off for service??

OSA
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been debating buying one too. Here's a review on them:
www.cruffler.com/review-july-00.html
AIM has them for ~$300
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
i have one dressed in HK black Furniture. looks like a hk weighs like a hk verry hevvy ..but it eats like a fat man (any thing i present it) has not had 1 problem with it yet.hey i paid 500 for mine but that was last year this year they are cheeper but you need to look it over real good . if you get one good luck with it hope you get a good un
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a stainless steel cast receiver CETME
back when they were still using new parts
to assemble them.

I got lucky and had NONE of the problems
with cocking, magazines, or sights, that
most CETME owners have to deal with.

CIA has been pumping them out for a while
now , and I can't recommend buying one now
without a hands on inspection.

Actually , if you just want an inexpensive
.308 battle rifle, I would recommend
a good G3/HK clone like Federal Arms sells.

Your chances of getting a well assembled
and functioning rifle might be better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I am thinking of getting one also. There is a funshow here the weekend of the 29th-1st. Last show there was a dealer there with a few, this time I will have the plastic warmed up and ready to go.
BTW, the Shotgun news has a good article in it about these Century CETMEs. You might have to be a subscriber though, I think the newstand issues are delayed.
Oh, SGN was delivered yesterday, so it is the latest copy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the CETME.  Have had one about 6 months and it eats a steady diet of portugese surplus without a malfunction, with very little (read carb cleaner and a bore snake) maintenance.  One of the best $300 bucks I've spent in a while.

LOAD SABOT!!

Tanker
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Use the link from w30olds post above, and study the checklist. I bought one Sat, shot it Sun, very happy. But I found 8 at the last show, 3 no-ways,3 goods, 2 exc finialists, bought one. Smacking steel at 200 yds with stock irons on the first mag, yippeee!
Hand-pick YES! Order one no.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
i have one and love it. I have found it as reliable as my fal. 2 things i have notice to check. obviosly the bore. But also make sure the charging handle cycles smoothly. CAI had several that locked up tight as soon as the handle was pulled back.

Also look over any new mags you buy. I bought several NIW mags from tapco. They have a heavy parkerized finish. It took several hundred rounds to wear them in before they functioned well.

mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
hey thanks guys!

the more i read about them the more i want one, i am still a little scared to buy one over the net  sight-un-seen.  i do like fixer uper's though and its good to know that at least century is a pretty good sport about it.

thanks again.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd second the advice to "inspect first".

Go to a funshow, go to the dealer with all the CETMEs.  Ask him if you can handle them, and if he says yes operate the action several times and pull the trigger.  

Ask him for a mag and see if it fits [don't operate the action this time :)!]

Ask if you can look at the bore.  Is it shiny?  

If he won't let you do these things, or haggle to a reasonable price (no more than $350-400) forget him.

Don't happily take a fixer-upper.  A bad gun from century usually involves a poorly made receiver, poorly made replacement parts, poor condition originals sloppily parked and assembled.  

Fixing it yourself is a true PITA, and may not even be physically possible.  

AVOID A CENTURY YOU CANNOT INSPECT.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
my problem is that i have been to all of the shows and gun stores in a 100 mi. radius and can't seem to find one. so thats why i was looking at ordering one. i was trying to find a place that has hand pick service (i'm not sure if that will get me a good one or just waste an extra 20$)

have any of you guys ordered yours or have you all found them at stroes/shows?

BTW is it pronounced SETME? or KETME?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I was also looking at them for awhile.  Finally took the plunge at the funshow last Saturday.  Took it out on Sunday.  Ran purfect!

It's a Century with stamped recvr.  Real good finish on all the metal etc.  The wood isn't perfect but that's just cosmetic and easily fixed.  I highly recommend it.  She was a blast to shoot that's for sure.  I agree with everyone else that you should definately see it before you buy it!

I was always with the understanding that it sounds like SETME.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I have read that little Spanish company was the one that first manufactored there rip off(and a good one) from the Germans,then HK ripped them off!    

So CETMEs are really good design and function,just hope you get somebody that can put it together right,they are blow back so like macks and PA-63,they have strong return springs so bolt charging is a little stronger than most are anticipating!

A good rifle for the money spent!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#17]
If I am not mistaken the engineers who designed the CETME were German engineers who were having trouble finding work at home for some strange reason. It seems that alot of things that the Spanish Military used during the late forties came with a teutonic accent.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks for the help!!

i'm thinking that i might either have my dealer go ahead and order one for me and be expecting that i might have to send it back,  OR save a little more money and get a G3

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top