Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 4:16:19 PM EST
I want to use my 870 deer gun for IPSC copetition. It's short, light, shoots nice, and I can get a mag extension for it. The barrel has rifle sights which is good, but it also has a rifled bore. What are your thoughts on running shot thru it? I think it would be ok as long as I clean the plastic fouling out afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:21:19 PM EST
supposedly the rifling causes the pattern to spread more than a cylinder choke. But that depends on the twist, and with buffered, plated shot in a plasitc cup/wad how much is a open question.

We issued buckshot for .58 Minie rifles before and during the Civil War. And Holland and Holland made their "Paradox" rifle/shot barrels for decades.

You'll probably have to just take it out and pattern it yourself to find out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:23:45 PM EST
Won't work worth a flip.

I tried it with my 870 rifled barrel just recently. With the target 15 yards away I had ZERO...Count..ZERO hits with S&B 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot.

What happens is that the barrel spins the shot column. As it exits the barrel the shot disperses in a circular pattern with one giant hole in the center.

Good Shooting
RED
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:42:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Redleg155:
Won't work worth a flip.

I tried it with my 870 rifled barrel just recently. With the target 15 yards away I had ZERO...Count..ZERO hits with S&B 2 3/4" 00 Buckshot.

What happens is that the barrel spins the shot column. As it exits the barrel the shot disperses in a circular pattern with one giant hole in the center.

Good Shooting
RED

A friend at work had the exact same experiance as you. 15 yards, repeatedly, had NO hits!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:22:49 AM EST
I shot 3 times at a chipmunk at around the 20 yard mark with my 870/hastings rifled slug barrel combo with 1&1/8th oz. trap loads of 7&1/2 shot and the little varmint never even ran away! He never had a pellet hit close enough to him to scare him.
Told my friend, he didn't believe it could be that bad. He always loaded his shotgun up with a combo of slugs & 00 buck when deer hunting. Thought he had better check out what the buckshot would actually do through his new rifled slug barrel. 3 shots of 3" 00 at about 20 yds. put one pellet into almost a 2' square piece of cardboard.
Tuco
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:13:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2003 2:14:04 PM EST by Arkansas_Rocketman]
Didn't know that anybody ate chipmunks.

(Dad always said don't shoot animals unless they're varmints or you're gonna eat them).

Come to think of it, sometimes in Arkansas we even eat the varmints that we shoot.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:33:45 PM EST
I remember seeing an 870 with a rifled barrel shooting 9 pellet 00 buck vs a B-27 target at 7 yards. It wasn't pretty. You would think with a target as large as a B-27 and as close as 7 yards that it would be impossible for the pellets to miss the black, but approx. 1/3 of them did. The other ~6 were scattered all over the target.
Top Top