Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 11:28:18 AM EDT
I think there is going to be a good old fashioned outdoor in the woods plinking event I have a surplus of ammo and need too try out some guns, 45's 22's 12 gauge and 223's i really like reactive targets so I am going to shoot some milk jugs with water but thats about it . Any ideas for some easy to make reactive targets ?
just tweeked the topic. it confused me which isn't hard to do!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I swing by the grocery store on the way and pick up a few cases of the cheapest rootbeer I can find.  They come out to about 3 MOA wide and make a satisfying fountain of soda.

HTH
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
try a few raw eggs
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
They got to be a little bigger than soda cans remember guys I am shooting a mini 14!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Water bottles of various sizes.

Huge cookies

Bricks

Clay pidgeons

A maniquin if you can find one

Max
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are all good ideas I especially like the eggs soda cans and bricks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about coconuts, I havn't tried it yet though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
try a few raw eggs

To expand on this one if you really want a challange spray paint them florescent orange and put them on golf tees at about 300 yds or so.  I paint them cause out on the Pawnee Grasslands where I go they are DAMN hard to see at 300yds!

You can also use golf balls, but don't use the ones from the driving range.  That would be wrong!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
These will only work with your .223, or any other rifle caliber, but if you want the most kick a** reactive targets you've even seen try these!
www.skylightexplosives.com/she_exploding_targets.html
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Spray paint cans are great targets. I usually get half empty ones off job sites for free though, so I don't know how ecomnomical that is.

Cans of cream corn from Aldi's (haven't tried it yet myself, but hear it's fun).

My favorite is old small electronics. I use old work radios that got left out in the rain. But broken VCR's, vacuums, or other such trash you've been wondering what to do with always work nicely.

Pumpkins, or any large produce that's going out of season and on sale.

Hope this helps, and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to one of those 99 cent stores and get packs of those water balloons.  Just fill them with air and blast away.  Get a few rolls of their cheapest tape to pin the balloons to the targets.  I would highly suggest going to one of those party supply stores and getting one of those ballon pumps to fill those balloon......thay are mothers to blow up!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
try some potatoes
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
So far my favorite targets for a 12 gauge are pumpkins. I think soda cans are nice too, for the .223 (At far range)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Get some suckers on the bulk pack for close up -- no real mess to pick up.  The kind that are come in the long sucker strips for about a buck.  You get like 15 or so.  Cherry tomatoes are good also.  For the big guns get some bowling pins.
Have fun!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#15]
OK.. I realize I may have a few loose screws.. BUT I have always wanted to shoot a 20 lb. propane tank and a tv tube.. Notice I was 'wanted to', havent got the nerve up yet, or figured out how far back i need to be when i pull the trigger though..

BUT since as of 4/1/02, you have to have old propane tanks retrofitted with overfill protections valves before you can refill them, you may find some old ones for cheap..

BTW - the newer  overfill protection valves are triangular, while the older ones are roundish.. Just in case you try to figure out if your tanks is upto date or not.. And to the best of my knowledge, this is a nation wide rule making it illegal to refill the old tanks after 4/1..
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Apples and potatos are impressive targets when they get a solid hit.  You can get huge amounts for free too. Just call the produce manager at your local supermarket and explain who you are and that no, your not a headcase, and ask him to keep the spoiled apples and potatos/melons that they pull off of the displays daily.  If you give three days notice my local market will give me about 20 pounds of assorted semi spoiled fruits.  The good part about fruits and vegetables is that they biodegrade and you don't have to pick up all the little fragments, if I were to shoot a TV like someone posted earlier my dad would be kicking my ass for all 4 hours it would take to collect the bits!  HE HE
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Yea just remember pack out what you pack in. I'm hoping my favorite shooting spot won't get closed down because of the trash people bring.

TV's, VCR's, water heaters, Newspaper stand's, propane bottle's the list goes on and on........

And this just gives people more fuel for the fight to stop us from shootin!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#18]
If they are in your area, I enjoy shooting horseapples. Probably about the same effect as apples and other fruit. A dead center hit with a high powered rifle and you'll get an explosion that looks like the Death Star!

You don't have to call anybody to get em, and you can take about a trillion of them for free for your blasting pleasure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Ponyboy, where are you in Texas?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Empty coffee cans, filled with water, put the lid on and turn them upside down, makes a pretty neat target just be sure and haul the mangled metal out when you are done
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Those Exploding targets are really cool.But A little pricey.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
the cookies from my middle school days. the knives thet had (not real sharp ones granted) couldn't stab into the cookie! nor could the forks... the forks would bend! you couldn't even break these things in half with your hands.. wtf did they expect us to do with them? reinforce a brick wall with them!? if i could get some they would make excellent targets.. and if they didnt get hurt by the bullet... BODY ARMOR!.

im not joking about these indestructable cookies. perhapse anyone whos 24/25 and went to middle schools in SC knows what im talking about.

Edited caz my spellin sicks
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Full Diet Coke vs 5.56mm, very reactive.

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

im not joking about these indestructable cookies. perhapse anyone whos 24/25 and went to middle schools in SC knows what im talking about.

Edited caz my spellin sicks

i went to school in michigan, we must have had the same foodservice supplier in my school.    i remember those damn things.    how about that square piece of greasy dough they called pizza?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Try some oranges.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Save the 20 oz plastic soda bottles and fill about 4/5ths full of water, and freeze it with the cap off (keeps them from bulging). Right before you go, put the caps back on, throw 'em in a cooler, and off ya go. Nothing explodes like ice. And, it leaves very little to bring back out.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Those Exploding targets are really cool.But A little pricey.

Extremely cool.  We shot one at the last VA shoot.  Placed it on a berm about 25 yards away and boom.  Felt the pressure/shock wave.  Very very cool.

I think us VA boys and gals need to do a group purchase on Tannerite before the next shoot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#28]
The last time out at Knob Creek, I was shooting milk jugs with colored water added. The guy next to me was shooting downrange at fire extinguishers.  Pretty cool when they go up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans Guide has some metal targets that spin around when you hit them.  They are various sizes and materials and when you're done, there is no mess to clean up.  Otherwise, go to your local Bowling Alley and ask them if they have some old pins they don't need anymore.  At 200 yards, they are fun to hit...and they don't break apart...with normal ammo....that is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top