Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2014 4:09:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 4:09:30 AM EDT by Eric802]
looking for first hand experience with anyone who might shoot their ar in their basement. (or some other option).
(I know it might sound odd, or maybe it doesn't....)

I have an ar.

there are times where I would like to shoot 10-30 rounds - to check out my sights, keep my skills sharp, etc.

nearest range is an hour away, and is usually packed. next closest range is 2 hours away. I work long hours. you get the picture.

the neighborhood is such that shooting an ar in the backyard would not go over well with the neighbors, and I want to be a good neighbor.

so, thought about doing something in the basement for those quick shooting times . have at least a 60 foot line of sight.

anyone do that? and if yes, what is your setup? want safety first, convenience second.

if not the basement, any other ideas come to mind?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:18:08 PM EDT
please turn your computer off and slowly walk away never to mention this topic ever again........BTW, that is the most absurd idea I have ever heard
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:19:34 PM EDT
Three things... Noise, Backstop, Ventilation... Outside of that let it rip..
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2014 7:21:42 PM EDT by s197]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:21:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MFS1589:
View Quote

you forgot arrest, court/lawyer fees, eviction notice, divorce, employment termination......
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2014 7:23:42 PM EDT by MFS1589]
Originally Posted By plumsmugglers:
View Quote

you forgot arrest, court/lawyer fees, eviction notice, divorce, employment termination......
View Quote

Until you know his details you are guessing...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:33:05 PM EDT
Buy an Airsoft rifle and practice in the back yard.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:36:22 PM EDT
In the 60's, my dad's best friend was a gunsmith who worked from home (in his basement). Was a fair sized home, sitting on probably a 75-80' length basement. I witnessed function testing of several firearms in that basement, and some load development -as he loaded ammo when things got slow. Safety was always first, his backstop was a stack of railroad ties against the concrete block wall- with dirt behind that back wall.
His neighbors were all informed that was what he did, and there was never a problem, nor any accidents. He did this for years.
I do not remember lot's of shooting (when I was there), but many hunting rifles were fired. It would probably be more friendly if suppressed.

You definitely would not be the first to do this, but noise could still be a problem, and you'd have to check the legality in your area. Several manufacturers of ammo and weapons have indoor shoot areas, but each situation would need careful study before doing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:46:46 PM EDT
I'm guessing you are still within city limits so if someone hears you that's a big no no. Illegal discharge of a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:50:43 PM EDT
I always thought the basement dweller comments were a joke.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:02:44 PM EDT
Many years ago, NRA Publications had a publication. It was about building your own shooting range. Some city codes reference this publication in stating what is acceptable specifications for a home shooting range are. The publication has been out of print for many years.

Suppressors come to mind. Either $200 tax stamped suppressors, or fixed emplacement suppressors of multiple used tires. Are you in city limits? Do you have to get a permit for construction if you work on your house? How does your city code read?

Awesome idea, and when it's complete I want to shoot there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:36:58 PM EDT
In the past it was quite popular to shoot wax bullets from revolvers indoors. Pretty quiet, not much smoke, not much needed for backstop.

If you want to shoot an AR in the basement, backstop and ventilation will be huge concerns. It's not an "open a window and throw some phonebooks in the corner" type of proposition. Assuming it's legal for you to shoot on your property where you live, you're still looking at at least a few grand in improvements to make it safe to shoot indoors.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
I'm going to go with the tried and true three S's. In this case, shovel, shoot, shut up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:05:20 PM EDT
I set up a 22lr target trap and did a bunch of shooting over a few months in a basement. After cleaning up all the lead/residue dust off everything in there once, I gave it up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
Sounds like a bad idea
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:39:03 PM EDT
I say if you can do it safely and it's legal, rock on. However, I'm afraid this won't be the case with either issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2014 9:53:55 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]
If it's safe and legal (and doesn't scare anyone's mother upstairs) go for it. Stopping bullets is easy. The ventilation concern is tougher. Lead free, non-mercuric ammo may be spendy, but in such an informal setting is very worthwhile IMO.

My gunsmith uses a 5 gal bucket in his garage about 90% full of sand with a couple phone books or catalogs on top to fire down into for function testing. (The books keep sand from being blown out by the point blank blast) He's shot up to 300RUM into that "bullet trap" with no issues IIRC.

I have no recommendations here though!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:01:15 AM EDT
In the 60's, I used to shoot my 22 all day in my basement when i lived in Livonia at 14,had a boiler plate bullet trap,shot my 308 once at it, went through an blew a big chunk of cement out of the wall through the wood paneling.
Dumb ass kid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:08:20 AM EDT
I had a friend in high school who started digging out his one basement wall... got to witness him shoot a few rounds through a tech nine into the dirt.

As a kid I used to make a pellet trap and shoot the hell out of my pellet guns. Cardboard box filled with news paper, phone books, and a piece of carpet.

As far as firing a real rifle, I'd say your backstop and adequate ventilation is in order fresh air in behind you and bad air out by the target. And I wouldn't try an use just a couple of bathroom vent fans either... I like the railroad ties idea and maybe some shredded tire chunks a few feet thick. How close is your closest neighbor? Really I wouldn't worry about it unless you share walls.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:12:49 AM EDT
If you can sort out the legalities of it for your particular area, (and you can afford it) you might look at something like this: http://savagerangesystems.com/bullettraps/
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:27:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 1:29:44 AM EDT by VA-BlkRifle]
Stay away from the M855, should go w/o saying but a lot of this thread should. So glad the only thing that might raise eyebrows around here would be full auto and I just dont know if even that would surprise anyone my backyard is fine for ten rounds in a couple different directions if it isnt 7 AM on Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:26:51 AM EDT
Ventilation is your biggest concern. Primers are lead based and release microscopic lead particles in the air with each shot. Indoor ranges have very expensive air handling equipment to deal with this.
Then there is the lead bullet…
You are risking Lead poisoning for yourself and every one in your household.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:27:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 4:19:29 AM EDT by Bladeswitcher]
Here you go . . .

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_MAR177_AR_15_Upper_PCP_Conversion_Kit/2703

An air rifle conversion upper for your AR. Same grip, stance, trigger, etc. but fires a basement safe lead pellet. Make a pellet trap using hardware store "Ductseal" or nursery center rubber mulch.

Or . . . and here's a better idea . . . just buy a nice air rifle. Shooting is shooting, and GOOD air guns are a joy to own and shoot.

ETA: An hour to a range? That would suck. From my house, I can be at my regular private gun club in under 10 minutes. It's a 20 mile drive to the club where I shoot skeet twice a week. There is unmanned public range about 15 minutes away in a different direction. There's a commercial indoor pistol range about 10 minutes away in yet another direction. There are more ranges in the nearest town 30 miles to the north. Lots of other options around me. BTW, with all these options, I still shoot airguns in my basement and backyard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:07:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:09:49 AM EDT
I hope this is not representative of the sort of shit you usually come up with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:48:26 AM EDT
If you do a google search for basement rifle range (or similar) you will find many people have done this. I wish I had the right situation so that I could, no basements here on the coast. To you guys saying it is stupid, keep your head up your arse, it's your loss.

My dad's friend had the railroad ties against the block wall, with a wooden box (filled with sand) for the target backplate. There was very little lead dust, I don't recall any. Many days while my dad was in the shop, I'd shoot a 22 and had a literal blast. The gunsmith tested all firearms before the customer left with them, was a great set-up.

My best friend was also a gunsmith, who had a shot tube in his shop. We fireformed brass at his shop often, and this was a shop in the middle of town. He received a variance from the city, there was no problem- but was not very challenging, nor fun. I did fire many weapons into this tube, up to the 416 and 375 calibers.

Laws could very well not allow this in your location, but many people have ranges set up in theirs. Again, I wish I had this as an option. Actually, I'd much rather have property where I could have a full-blown rifle range. Do a search and you'll find many who cater to home ranges (inside or out), they are not that uncommon. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:28:24 AM EDT
my thanks to those who actually read my post
(where I asked for first hand examples and options)
and provided some good ideas.

and for those that have nothing to offer in the way of examples or constructive ideas (as was requested),
and simply jump to conclusions and/or are just plain nasty and insulting to a fellow forum member asking a question,
well.....

anyone else have examples or ideas?

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:35:03 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Many years ago, NRA Publications had a publication. It was about building your own shooting range. Some city codes reference this publication in stating what is acceptable specifications for a home shooting range are. The publication has been out of print for many years.

Suppressors come to mind. Either $200 tax stamped suppressors, or fixed emplacement suppressors of multiple used tires. Are you in city limits? Do you have to get a permit for construction if you work on your house? How does your city code read?

Awesome idea, and when it's complete I want to shoot there.
View Quote

What do you mean by "...fixed emplacement suppressors of multiple used tires..."? That sounds interesting, but I can't picture how to make it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:00:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Him:
View Quote

I hope this is not representative of the posts you normally make in tech forums.

OP, I just saw a pic in one of the NFA threads, I'll see if I can find it. A suppressor is a series of baffles in a can, right? And you can use a suppressor for a larger caliber on a smaller caliber gun, no? So, a bunch of used tires stacked together in a cylinder makes a suitable suppressor for a 8" naval gun, but can be used for much smaller arms. And since it's not attached to the firearm, no stamp. You just need an oblong hole in the muzzle face for the muzzle of the gun & the sights, and another one @ the end of the tube, several yards away.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:09:54 AM EDT

I hope this is not representative of the posts you normally make in tech forums.

OP, I just saw a pic in one of the NFA threads, I'll see if I can find it. A suppressor is a series of baffles in a can, right? And you can use a suppressor for a larger caliber on a smaller caliber gun, no? So, a bunch of used tires stacked together in a cylinder makes a suitable suppressor for a 8" naval gun, but can be used for much smaller arms. And since it's not attached to the firearm, no stamp. You just need an oblong hole in the muzzle face for the muzzle of the gun & the sights, and another one @ the end of the tube, several yards away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Him:

My apologies ... once again, I didn't read.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:14:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Him: My apologies ... once again, I didn't read.
View Quote

I very often forget to look where a thread is before I post - and then have to go back & make a detailed technical response (probably incorrectly) b/c I made a smart assed comment in Tech.

OP, this is the post I was thinking of:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1617077_if_you_pay_the_tax_can_you_make_your_own_suppressor_.html&page=2#i46924911

And the pic of a very effective, but perfectly legal & untaxed suppressor:

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 1:19:58 PM EDT by pjepcm]

I very often forget to look where a thread is before I post - and then have to go back & make a detailed technical response (probably incorrectly) b/c I made a smart assed comment in Tech.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1617077_if_you_pay_the_tax_can_you_make_your_own_suppressor_.html&page=2#i46924911

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/orchidman_album/suppressor2046.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Him: My apologies ... once again, I didn't read.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/orchidman_album/suppressor2046.jpg

cool idea, easy to do, and totally legal! I love it!
and I don't have to go to the government, which I would rather not do. I prefer to stay off the radar. Not because I am not legal, but just in case things regarding rifles changes in the future.
I wonder if it could be built out of wood with some type of soundproofing materials.....hmmm.... but old tires are easy to find.

as far as noise goes, I live on a three acre lot in a semi-rural area of 3+ acre lot homes and small farms. So I can legally shoot, and people do every once in a while (a shot or two for pest control perhaps), but I don't want make big bangs that might shock people (like older people on meds, or babies, or dogs). I want to be a good neighbor.

But, every once in a while it would be nice to shoot a small number of shots, like to test out a new mod to the rifle - with a light load round. I still might consider something inside, in the basement, for a couple of shots or so once in a while, and there was some good info provided in this post.

thanks for taking the time to find that post

regarding where I posted this, I was not sure where to post it so I put it under general discussion, and then it got moved here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 2:55:30 PM EDT by WILSON]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:35:52 PM EDT
I shot a mouse once in my basement with a .22 LR. I swear, that bullet ricochetted past me at least three times before it stopped bouncing around. Very scary!

After that experience, I would never think of shooting a gun in the basement again. And, that was just a .22 long rifle. I can't imagine the commotion that a .223 would cause if (when) a bullet started bouncing around.

Nope.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 8:39:05 PM EDT by ricochet7]
I guess many of us are just not smart enough to have a range, altho many gun ranges have similar construction.
The basement range I shot in, had been set up pretty well and no one ever put holes anywhere except in the backstop.
But, there are many people who I'd not let hold a firearm, much less shoot around any house.

I hear the argument that no one really needs "assault weapons" by too many people. And no one really needs a high cap mag, is that not the same argument? If I ever have the chance, I will have a basement range- but only if it can be set-up properly, and no-one except competent folks would be allowed to shoot there. Common sense needs to be used anytime a firearm is handled or fired- but it seems some do not possess common sense, or know how to make use of it. There were many large caliber 6.5mm,7mm, 8mm, and many 30 cals fired in that basement range with zero incidents. I guess we are not as smart nowadays... Is sad.

I am losing faith in you guys pretty fast

Edit-> Some people are not safe with a lawnmower or automobile. I believe more potential damage is contained in automobiles in public than a firearm, but that's wrong also? The OP sounds to have a great location if local laws allow. How many of you guys DO shoot holes where unintended? This is getting scary
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:04:03 PM EDT
ricochet, your user name is appropriate for this thread.

Lead problems are easily solved for OP by using lead-free projectiles & lead-free primers. Depending on the direction of his shooting range in his basement, and the arrangement of his house above it, perhaps he only shoots in his basement when there are not guests in the house & the sammich maker is in the kitchen or her sewing room home office. Depending on the angle and how much he likes the sammiches, a small amount of AR500 or a large amount of life insurance might be appropriate.

OP, up to you, wanna give us a floorplan of the house & pics of the basement?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:45:14 PM EDT

you forgot arrest, rape, court/lawyer fees, eviction notice, divorce, employment termination......
View All Quotes

you forgot arrest, rape, court/lawyer fees, eviction notice, divorce, employment termination......

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:25:00 AM EDT
Are we in a Tech Forum or GD?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:28:59 PM EDT
I think that at this point I am good to go. Thanks to all who provided ideas, options, and solutions.

Again, no more than 10-30 rounds, maybe once a month.

A lot of good ideas on how to build an inside range.

a lot of good ideas on what can be done as far as other options goes. like swapping out the upper for a different round (inside or outside the basement) - I know an airgun was mentioned, but I think I saw an upper once for the 22 round. might be time to do more research on that.

also, a lot of good ideas on other options like a sound suppressor for outside. I think that would work.

regarding safety issues in the basement, nothing is more important to me than safety. that is why I posted here for info! I would rather not shoot than take the smallest risk. so, for example, I would only shoot when no one else was home, in a safe direction, with materials that could absolutely absorb the round, using a light load, lead free rounds (another great idea, thanks), etc.

if I do go with an inside range, I will report back with pics and stories.

if nothing else, i hope this thread was thought provoking for some.

thanks again.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:00:37 PM EDT
I grew up in Redford and in the late 60's and 70 my older brother and sister would shoot 22 lr competition at the local police indoor range. We had a thick steel bullet trap in the basement that we all would shoot at. Never had a problem. When my dad moved he buried the trap in the back yard. Its still there on Columbia street.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:13:54 PM EDT
You could have a fixed sound suppressor indoors as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:37:42 AM EDT
You could have a fixed sound suppressor indoors as well.
View Quote

This.

Shocked to see the bashers posting from CT, VA, CA etc.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:40:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2014 6:41:58 AM EDT by CrazyWhiteGuy]
Originally Posted By pjepcm:
I think that at this point I am good to go. Thanks to all who provided ideas, options, and solutions.

Again, no more than 10-30 rounds, maybe once a month.

A lot of good ideas on how to build an inside range.

a lot of good ideas on what can be done as far as other options goes. like swapping out the upper for a different round (inside or outside the basement) - I know an airgun was mentioned, but I think I saw an upper once for the 22 round. might be time to do more research on that.

also, a lot of good ideas on other options like a sound suppressor for outside. I think that would work.

regarding safety issues in the basement, nothing is more important to me than safety. that is why I posted here for info! I would rather not shoot than take the smallest risk. so, for example, I would only shoot when no one else was home, in a safe direction, with materials that could absolutely absorb the round, using a light load, lead free rounds (another great idea, thanks), etc.

if I do go with an inside range, I will report back with pics and stories.

if nothing else, i hope this thread was thought provoking for some.

thanks again.

View Quote

Ventilation is key. Do you have half sunk basement windows? Those can be used well to ventilate.

Tire baffles are great in and outdoors for sound suppression. Backstops can have heavy rubber (even tire) coating to eliminate fragments and reduce wear on rail road ties.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:56:38 AM EDT
A friend of mine had 25Y of used culvert pipe connected to his basement when he was trenching his yard for septic. Far end he had a concrete box with a manhole in the top and a vent fan and a light. Near end he boxed in a room (like a room in a room) and he had railroad ties across the top; he also had the culvert lined with about 10 old tires like in the pic above. It was cool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:41:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2014 7:42:30 AM EDT by AZ_Mike]
Originally Posted By BB:
A friend of mine had 25Y of used culvert pipe connected to his basement when he was trenching his yard for septic. Far end he had a concrete box with a manhole in the top and a vent fan and a light. Near end he boxed in a room (like a room in a room) and he had railroad ties across the top; he also had the culvert lined with about 10 old tires like in the pic above. It was cool.
View Quote

That is the way to go. Angled steel (downward pointing) trap in the target "room" and forced ventilation outward. Culvert should be big enough for you to traverse on a crawler for any maintenance. Have a pulley system for targets.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:04:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike: That is the way to go. Angled steel (downward pointing) trap in the target "room" and forced ventilation outward. Culvert should be big enough for you children/grandchildren to traverse on a crawler for any maintenance to post targets. Have a pulley system for targets.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:28:21 AM EDT
Now I need to watch The Great Escape again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:30:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote

Sierra Bullets has a deal like this in the basement of their factory in Sedalia, MO. Only theirs is 100 yards long and goes under a nearby highway . . . They test fire bullets from every batch they make.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:38:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pjepcm:
looking for first hand experience with anyone who might shoot their ar in their basement. (or some other option).
(I know it might sound odd, or maybe it doesn't....)

I have an ar.

there are times where I would like to shoot 10-30 rounds - to check out my sights, keep my skills sharp, etc.

nearest range is an hour away, and is usually packed. next closest range is 2 hours away. I work long hours. you get the picture.

the neighborhood is such that shooting an ar in the backyard would not go over well with the neighbors, and I want to be a good neighbor.

so, thought about doing something in the basement for those quick shooting times . have at least a 60 foot line of sight.

anyone do that? and if yes, what is your setup? want safety first, convenience second.

if not the basement, any other ideas come to mind?

thanks in advance
View Quote

I call it a "basement pop".
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:19:10 AM EDT
For those mentioning airguns, I shoot them regularly in the backyard with neighbors on both sides (behind me is 400 yards of woods).

Even though my favorite airgun is louder than my 22's, it sounds more like an air nailer than a gun and nobody cares.

Last time I fired 22's off out there it stirred some people up.

An airgun with aperture sights or a similar optic to that of the AR is a great training tool.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:14:21 AM EDT
I use air guns and wax bullets for practice at home. I have a short write up in reloading on wax bullets if you want to search for it. The air guns I use are really good representations of my firearms but they come at a price, usually from about $250.00ish to over $500.00. One alternative to your query maybe in that direction. It alleviates many of the indoor range concerns like ventilation, excessive noise and lead. You'd really just need a good backstop. At some point I'd like to build an old time shooting gallery for mine.

As you specifically mentioned practicing with your AR, here's one that seems interesting. I don't own it so I can't speak from personal experience but it is an option:

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/MAR177

As I said, good representations are pricey but in the long run between solving the above issues, it may be a cost savings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top