Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 7:12:43 PM EDT
I have a rifled slug barrel for my shotgun.  Do I HAVE to shoot sabots or can I use rifled slugs?  I have been told yes both ways.  

thanks, gremlin
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
you can shoot either one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
To really utilize the rifling in your barrel, you'd need to shoot Sabots, but you can shoot regular slugs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
yes you can shoot both , but as stated above the sabots will be more accurate and carry more down range energy. The accuracy problem stems from the fact that regular slugs have spiral groves molded in them intended to impart a spin when used in a smooth bore. Ths spin may or may not match your rifle barrels twist. Also the shape of the projectile is about like that of a pumpkin. A sabot is much more aero shaped and will conforme to your rifled barrels desires...pat
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#5]
As an aside... do you guys prefer a rifled barrel with sabots?  

I ask as I have a Remington 870 with it's short 20-inch smoothbore slug barrel which I have the receiver drilled and tapped with a cheap Bushnall 1.5-4 power scope mounted.  This shotgun/scope combination will shoot 3-inch groups at 100-yards all day using Brenike (SP?) foster style slugs.

My father has a fancy new Mossburg with a rifled 24-inch barrel and a 2-7 power Leupold that shoots about the same sized groups using a variety of sabots.  His sabots cost about 3-times as much for minimal advantage that I have seen!

Now, here in PA I can use a centerfire rifle and I have a 300 Win Mag that I often carry usually choosing the shotgun if I am hunting in heavy brush where my longest shot might be 100-yards and most shots are under 50-yards.  For me, sabots never made sence and I know my father isn't happy to be spending soo much more for ammo to get very little more out of the gun!

Oppinions?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As an aside... do you guys prefer a rifled barrel with sabots?  

I ask as I have a Remington 870 with it's short 20-inch smoothbore slug barrel which I have the receiver drilled and tapped with a cheap Bushnall 1.5-4 power scope mounted.  This shotgun/scope combination will shoot 3-inch groups at 100-yards all day using Brenike (SP?) foster style slugs.

My father has a fancy new Mossburg with a rifled 24-inch barrel and a 2-7 power Leupold that shoots about the same sized groups using a variety of sabots.  His sabots cost about 3-times as much for minimal advantage that I have seen!

Now, here in PA I can use a centerfire rifle and I have a 300 Win Mag that I often carry usually choosing the shotgun if I am hunting in heavy brush where my longest shot might be 100-yards and most shots are under 50-yards.  For me, sabots never made sence and I know my father isn't happy to be spending soo much more for ammo to get very little more out of the gun!

Oppinions?

quaterbore...I hunt in wny....near jamestown.....have spent $$$ on rifled slug bbls etc......my kid does just as good with my old 870 that i gave him...same as you....personally...I would just keep on going with the 870 if I was you...........p.s.....stay with brennekes also
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top