Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:03:59 AM EDT
Hey all,
I seldom venture over here but I have a question.  I'm picking up (at my parents) my old CVA Kenntucky rifle that I haven't shot in 15+ years.  I have a can of FFg and two tins of primers.  Would they still be good?  If not, how should I dispose of them?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't be a problem, provided they've not been exposed to moisture. I wouldn't worry about the powder at all, and you can test a cap or two to see if they work, but they're probably fine as well.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

Ive shot "original" powder of an unknown vintage taken from original horns with no problems.  Even if the powder got wet, you can dry it out and regrind it

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
For range work I wouldn't wory about primers or modern powders.  I've shot up a bunch of old stuff.  For hunting or competition I would only shoot fresh just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Black powder is made from basic chemicals, and there really isn't anything to go bad. Unlike modern smokeless powder that will eventually deteriorate (But it still lasts a pretty long time)
Like has been stated, as long as it's dry, I wouldn't sweat it.

I wouldn't use real old caps for hunting though cause you might get some duds, but for target / playing, blast away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a couple of pound tins of FFFG in a pawn shop that were at least 20 years old that shot perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top