Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2006 9:08:39 AM EDT
I picked up a bubatized Carcano at the store yesterday it's marked 1940 and CAL 6.5 the bore looks dusty as hell. I know nothing about these other than they were only dropped once.  the price out the door 42.65 am I just a sucker for $39.95 guns or is this a score?

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure I would have bought it for $40.

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to find a decent stock for it. Might make a fun project to restore it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
For $40, I would have bought it as well. Hard to pass on any functional firearm at that price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, that is a score! Now begin the de-bubba process and be sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
            I vote the other way- Why spend a bunch trying to make a silk purse out of a likely sows ear .
             Get the head space checked and make sure it is safe to shoot .
             Dig out some ammo and head to the range and see if the trigger and bore allow you to hit the side of a small barn.
           Then if this all works out would I spend more money to make it pretty. I like the idea of restoreing a part of history but you might as well start with decent raw material.
            If it is only a fair to rotten shooter you might want to limit yourself to some steel wool and elbow grease and just getting your moneys worth as a blasting toy or a rec room wall hanger.Growing up a neighbor buddy's father was our hero because he supplyed two or three of us with similar rifles (minus a full length fireing pin) for the best ever "army" props a kid could have                                                                                                    
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't want it, sell it to me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
For $40 bucks, I would buy it. If it is too out of spec, then hide it in the attic so someone else can find years from now. They might like it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
that would be an ideal trunk/truck gun.  Keep it really oiled, take it out once put some rounds through it, you definately scored.  And if you want to restore it to original specs, you shouldn't have a problem finding a new stock or parts.  I'd probably keep it the way it is, looks like a great brush gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just found a Lee Harvey Oswald sling for it its only 5 times what I paid for the gun
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Carcano's soffer from odd sized bores.  The available ammo ranges from .262 to .268.  You will need to slug it to figure out what the correct bullet is.

Dennis Jenkins'
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just found a Lee Harvey Oswald sling for it its only 5 times what I paid for the gun

WTF is going on there?    

Strange...

-Jbot
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO I would not have given $4 for that "thing", throwing it into the ocean and letting coral grow on it is too good for any Carcano.

Hang it on the wall for a conversation piece.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IMO I would not have given $4 for that "thing", throwing it into the ocean and letting coral grow on it is too good for any Carcano.

Ok, I'll bite.  Why?

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh I don't know about that. I do know it is a popular view though.

My local funshop had a Carcano last spring, in original configuration. Around a hundred bucks IIRC. What surprised me was when I shouldered it it came up and fit like a rifle that was custom built for me. Through it to my shoulder and the sights were lined up just as they should be. I always have to fidget with everyother gun I've owned, except for wood stocked Rem. 870s. Even the synthetic stocked 870s don't "fit" right.

Nope, for $40 I'd have jumped on it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top