Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT by blair50]
I recently bought a used 1100 and I am trying to remove the action spring for cleaning. I removed the butt plate, but the spring seems troublesome to remove. Just want to know the proper way to do it before I damage something. I tried to simply unscrew the action spring tube nut, but it won't budge. Is it somehow held in there by the lock washer or something else? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:56:05 PM EDT
Remington does an excellent job of making Owners Manuals available.

Remington Shotgun

There is a complete section on removal of the butt stock. For what it's worth, I had no issues replacing the after-market Choate with a factory synthetic on my 1100.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:10:28 PM EDT
I had already looked at the online owner's manual and was unable to find any information on removing the action spring. I double checked, so am I just missing it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:45:08 PM EDT
Yes there is a washer under the nut.

Find yourself the largest screw driver you have that fits the slot the best.Nice and tight.

A two fisted screwdriver is ideal or the ones with flat sides on them.

If it is a flat shanked screwdriver use a werench or a adjustable wrench to turn it.

You might want to put some oil or something on it and let it soak a little first.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 8:14:06 AM EDT by blair50]
I took a nickel and a pair of needle nose pliers to it. The nickel fit into the slot very nicely and I used as much force as I dared. I mangled three nickels in the process and never got that darn thing to turn. I can't think of many things that are tougher than nickels, but it looks like I may have to try something else. I guess I will have to go and buy a massive screw driver that I won't ever use again. Thanks for the info
Top Top