Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 2:50:34 PM EDT
I recently bought a used 1100 and I am trying to remove the action spring for cleaning.  I removed the butt plate, but the spring seems troublesome to remove.  Just want to know the proper way to do it before I damage something.  I tried to simply unscrew the action spring tube nut, but it won't budge.  Is it somehow held in there by the lock washer or something else?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Remington does an excellent job of making Owners Manuals available.

Remington Shotgun

There is a complete section on removal of the butt stock.  For what it's worth, I had no issues replacing the after-market Choate with a factory synthetic on my 1100.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I had already looked at the online owner's manual and was unable to find any information on removing the action spring.  I double checked, so am I just missing it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes there is a washer under the nut.

Find yourself the largest screw driver you have that fits the slot the best.Nice and tight.

A two fisted screwdriver is ideal or the ones with flat sides on them.

If it is a flat shanked screwdriver use a werench or a adjustable wrench to turn it.

You might want to put some oil or something on it and let it soak a little first.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I took a nickel and a pair of needle nose pliers to it.  The nickel fit into the slot very nicely and I used as much force as I dared.  I mangled three nickels in the process and never got that darn thing to turn.  I can't think of many things that are tougher than nickels, but it looks like I may have to try something else.  I guess I will have to go and buy a massive screw driver that I won't ever use again. Thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top