Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/12/2003 2:29:38 AM EDT
Several years ago my grandfather gave me his Remington Sportsman 48, 12 ga, 28 in. full choke. I have not seen another one like it since. It is semi-auto gas operated. It likes high brass loads, will not cycle game loads on a consistent basis. Just looking for anyone who can give me a little more info on it. Value, rarity, etc. By no means do I plan on parting with it for obvious reasons. Just looking for some info on it.
Thanks.
The Man in Tan
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:26:08 PM EDT
Manintan,
The Mod 48 Sportsman was made 1949 - 1959. Remington made around 275000 of this model.

According to the Remington Field Service Manual, the 48 Sportsman is a recoil operated shotgun, not gas operated. That is the reason it won't cycle standard loads.

There are a few of these guns floating around, but very few parts. The 11-48 parts will interchange, but they are scarce too.

Thanks and enjoy your gun.
Lee

www.thearmsroom.com
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:42:15 AM EDT
Lee,
Thank you for taking the time to provide the information as well as the correction on the operating system. Not sure where I got the notion of the gas operation, grandad may have told me that.
Funny, there was a time when it was the only shotgun I had and hunted even dove with it. It made me a better shot using that long barrel with full choke to knock down dove and quail. Since then I have aquired a few more shotguns so it pretty much stays in the safe.
Unfortunately, grandad stored it for a long time wrapped up in a blanket in the attic and it had a little surface rust on the bluing and the bolt.
Again, thanks for all the info.
Top Top